Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Change in JSS

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1161 of 2,562

@Alina Y wrote:
Hello! Would you be so kind to help me get more clarity regarding the change in my JSS?
My JSS has been 100%, but suddenly gone down to 83%.

Any contracts which were either closed with no payment ever or have been open for 2-3 months without anything ever having been paid?

It looks like you have one "dead" contract (100 divided by 6 x 5 = 83.33 = 83%)

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1162 of 2,562

With only 4 jobs and one without feedback, it wouldn't take much for OPs JSS to slip. That's barely enough contracts to qualify for a JSS calculation at all. 

Alina Y Member Since: Jul 6, 2018
1163 of 2,562
@Petra
But why my JSS changed in two weeks? Two weeks ago it was 100%. It changes in 6, 12 and 24 months, doesn't it?
Highlighted
Community Guru
1164 of 2,562

@Alina Y wrote:
@Petra
But why my JSS changed in two weeks? Two weeks ago it was 100%. It changes in 6, 12 and 24 months, doesn't it?

No, it is updated every 2 weeks. It is calculated on the best of your 6, 12 and 24 month windows. So something happened in the last two weeks, either a contract closed with poor private feedback or nothing ever paid or became a negative factor as it has been open for a very long time without anything (ever) having been paid on it.

Alina Y Member Since: Jul 6, 2018
1165 of 2,562

Thanks for your reply @Petra.

But I am still very confused that 17% of my JSS has been dropped only because of two open inactive contracts.

In the meanwhile one contract was closed last week while another one is still open.

But getting back to the past why then I received 100% JSS while having these two open inactive contracts. And after two weeks of 100% JSS, lost 17% because of the same two open inactive contracts.

Community Guru
1166 of 2,562

@Alina Y wrote:

@Thanks for your reply @Petra.

But I am still very confused that 17% of my JSS has been dropped only because of two open inactive contracts.

In the meanwhile one contract was closed last week while another one is still open.

But getting back to the past why then I received 100% JSS while having these two open inactive contracts. And after two weeks of 100% JSS, lost 17% because of the same two open inactive contracts.

Inactive contracts do not hurt your JSS if money has been paid on them at some point. They are neutral, they do no good and no harm.

What does hurt is a contract that has either got to 2-3 months old without anything EVER having been paid, or was closed without anything EVER having been paid and closed without feedback. Do you have such a contract?

I think there is an hourly job hiding somewhere you've never logged any time under and which started just over 2 months ago?

If that is the case, you can stop it hurting your JSS by simply logging 10 minutes of time. Do so while writing to the client asking for the job to start and including some ideas / thoughts, so the 10 minutes are legitimately logged.

Alternatively, you may have received poor private feedback from the job that closed last week.

If you don't have any long term "idle and nothing EVER paid" contracts, then the one that closed last week did it, if your JSS dropped in the last update.

Unfortunately with only very few closed contracts each counts very heavily, for better or for worse.

Anna N Member Since: Oct 17, 2018
1167 of 2,562

Hello everyone!

I have a client with whom I started working for a fixed price and we were working on the concept ideas before I would submit the first milestone. I did some work but we decided to change something and then to submit. Since then he hasn't replied for almost a month now. I am on Upwork for 5 months. I have a JSS 98% and all 100% contract feedbacks. Will my JSS drop significally if I close this inactive contract if there was 0$ paid? Does it make my JSS drop if I have it open now?

Please, I am still working on improving my Upwork knowledge, so I would appreciate all clearifying answers!
Sincerely, 
Anna

Community Guru
1168 of 2,562

@Anna N wrote:

I have a client with whom I started working for a fixed price and we were working on the concept ideas before I would submit the first milestone. I did some work but we decided to change something and then to submit. Since then he hasn't replied for almost a month now. I am on Upwork for 5 months.

It would significantly hit you if it closed without any payment and any feedback, yes, but you can also request a token payment (a part of the milestone) for the work done so far - even if it is just a few Dollars, via the "Submit work and request payment" button - just edit the amount while you submit. That will either wake the client up, or it will just auto-release after 14 days and then you can close it.

Anna N Member Since: Oct 17, 2018
1169 of 2,562

Thank you, Petra, for your answer!

But As I know the client can't leave me a feedback if there is no dollar spent, but if I request a few dollars then he can leave me a feedback yes? Which one will hit more? To close the contractwithout feedback or that he might leave a bad feedback? Though he just doesn't respond me and has barely anything bad to say

Community Guru
1170 of 2,562

@Anna N wrote:

Thank you, Petra, for your answer!

But As I know the client can't leave me a feedback if there is no dollar spent, but if I request a few dollars then he can leave me a feedback yes? Which one will hit more? To close the contractwithout feedback or that he might leave a bad feedback? Though he just doesn't respond me and has barely anything bad to say

The client can leave you feedback either way. If nothing is paid then no feedback will show on your profile but the (private) feedback will still affect your JSS for better or for worse.

Nothing paid - Good (private) feedback = Good

Nothing paid - Bad (private) feedback = Bad

Nothing paid - No (private) feedback = Bad

Nothing paid - left open for months = Bad

Something paid - No feedback = No damage

Something paid - Good feedback = Good

Something paid - Bad feedback = Bad

Something paid - left open for months = No damage

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS