Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: JSS still the same after last update

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1231 of 3,376

@Namita S wrote:

Hi am having the same issue. Completed 2 projects with 5 stars and am sure private feedback is good too. But no changes in my JSS. Why so...

Your profile seems to be private so I can't look. How many contracts have you had altogether, what is your JSS now?

In general you need to remember that

• just as new outcomes are added when you complete jobs, contracts can fall out of your calculation window. So if you are on a 6 month window and added 2 good outcomes, but two good outcomes were now more than 6 months ago, nothing changes,
  • The more contracts you had, the lower the impact of any one outcome on your JSS (for better or for worse)
  • The higher your JSS, the more slowly it goes up (because that is how percentages work mathematically)
  • One bad outcome makes your JSS fall by more than one good outcome makes it go up (because that is how percentages work mathematically) unless it is below 50%, when the opposite happens.
Ace Contributor
Hardeep P Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
1232 of 3,376

I recently completed two jobs successfully, with good ratings and yet my JSS dropped straight from 88 to 80. I can't understand the logic behind. Can somebody explain?

Community Guru
1233 of 3,376

@hardeep P wrote:

I recently completed two jobs successfully, with good ratings and yet my JSS dropped straight from 88 to 80. I can't understand the logic behind. Can somebody explain?

Chances are private feedback wasn't quite as enthusiastic, and clients who knock you for skills and quality generally also aren't as thrilled in private feedback.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
1234 of 3,376

I'm beginning  to think that there's something wrong with that thing...6 months at 87%, client recommendation at 91% - no matter if I close the project with no payment and no feedback, or if I finish 3 projects with good feedback - those numbers are the same every two weeks...for months now.

Community Leader
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
1235 of 3,376

I believe there is something (bug?) affecting JSS, client recommendation and long-term clients. My JSS and client satisfaction froze for months despite a rise in long-term clients and despite contracts being completed.

I have a spread sheet with all contracts (start/end date), dates for all updates to the top section of the stats page (biweekly JSS update, 12-month earnings, clients who would recommend you, long-term clients) to keep track of all updates to percentages for JSS/long-term clients/client satisfaction and the updates and especially lack of updates don't make much sense.

I don't know whether it's related to various other bugs on the stats page and other bugs. Support only informs when a problem is solved, not what the problem was or how it affected the profile/stat page.

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
1236 of 3,376

Annette, it will go up when the 4.6 job (Ended Sept) falls from your 6 month window if you don't have any private feedback lower than 9 in that time. As you approach 100 it takes more jobs to increase. Since you are at 98 you can only expect to reach 99 until March 2019 till that job falls from your window.

Edit: You can use your perk and remove its impact from your JSS if you like. I wouldn't do that for 2 points though...

Gregory O Member Since: Dec 5, 2017
1237 of 3,376

Hi everybody!

I had a 100% JSS, and just after the one before last recalculation it was decreased to 90%. Then I asked support to remove JSS impact for the highlighted in the screenshot contract and my JSS was returned to 100% after the next recalculation.
That's my profile https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0168cd4df020d6f49c.

So, the point is that HOW this contract which is about 3.5% of my total earnings for the last year with all five stars public feedback could impact my JSS for 10%?
That's not really 10%, considering that lower threshold for JSS is about 70% ( I don't think that someone would hire freelancer with this JSS) the 10% is about 1/3 and it throws you from an unbelievable good freelancer to one who should try really hard to be considered by clients.
Don't you think that:
1. Private feedback has too huge impact.
2. Using 1 to 10 scale is a very poor solution.
How should I as a client rate a good job? I'd put there 7-8 points, because I think that it is a quite good mark. However we (freelancers) know that this mark would rather decrease freelancer's score, that means that we have to ask clients to put maximum 10 points in the private feedback to not impact our JSS.
Is it really for what you, Upwork, designed the private feedback this way?
From my POV this one should have only 3 options: Bad, Normal, Good.
Thanks.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
1238 of 3,376

@Gregory O wrote:

a) So, the point is that HOW this contract which is about 3.5% of my total earnings for the last year with all five stars public feedback could impact my JSS for 10%?

b) 1. Private feedback has too huge impact.
c) 2. Using 1 to 10 scale is a very poor solution.
d)  that means that we have to ask clients to put maximum 10 points in the private feedback to not impact our JSS.

a)  With only 5 completed contracts each has the potential of being a whole 5th (20%) of your complete body of work.

The JSS is the "percentage of contracts that resulted in a great client experience" not "percentage of Dollars paid from happy clients"

b) Personally I don't. No.

c) It's more differentiated than 1 to 3 so again: No

d) Absolutely NOT! Even mentioning private feedback is hugely unprofessional and suggesting that 10 out of 10 should be given is bordering on feedback manipulation, which can get you kicked off the platform and rightly so.

I have never, ever mentioned feedback to any client. It's just totally wrong to do so.

Freelancers begging for and arguing over feedback is also the reason we have the JSS and private feedback in the first place. Because unprofessional freelancers have been putting so much pressure on clients to get 5 stars every time that the public feedback became largely pointless and clients were leaving the platform because of pressure over feedback.

There is no need to ever mention feedback at all. It is perfectly possible to have and maintain a high JSS without as much as uttering the F word once.

Gregory O Member Since: Dec 5, 2017
1239 of 3,376

a) Ok, it might, but how adequate is it? That means you could have for example 4 jobs for 10.000$ and then 1 client who paid you 10$ could drop your JSS to 80%? Crazy staff.
c) More differentiated doesn't mean better. Let's use 1 to 100 scale, it's even more differential than the current one. The problem is that people are not computers, more options you give them - worse result you get. Personnaly I would leave 10 point to customer only under emotional influence, people never do their job 10 of 10. 
d) You could say "ABSOLUTELY NOT" with a million exclamation marks if you want, but frelancers will keep doing this since conditions of the platform force them to do it. 

Community Guru
1240 of 3,376

@Gregory O wrote:

d) You could say "ABSOLUTELY NOT" with a million exclamation marks if you want, but frelancers will keep doing this since conditions of the platform force them to do it. 

Nonsense. If "conditions of the platform force them to do it" - how come people with hundreds of contracts and high or 100% JSS don't do it?

If the relationships with the clients are great, the work done outstanding and the contracts managed and concluded successfully, the JSS takes care of itself.

If not, it should not result in a 100% JSS - that's the whole point, isn't it?

JSS is meant to measure the percentage of contracts that resulted in a GREAT client experience, not the percentage of clients who survived the experience with no major disaster.

I don't know where that thinking comes from that everyone who didn't TOTALLY screw up deserves a 100% JSS.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS