cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Job Success Score drops 6% when all reviews are 5 stars

Marijana P Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
2031 of 2,232

Didn't know that, and it's important. Thank you.

Steven A Member Since: Nov 30, 2018
2032 of 2,232

That sounds good and I'll try it, but it's the same issue: now instead of ignoring my request to leave feedback they will ignore my request to close the contract.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2033 of 2,232

Steven A wrote:

That sounds good and I'll try it, but it's the same issue: now instead of ignoring my request to leave feedback they will ignore my request to close the contract.

Then (and don't take that the wrong way) you are not managing your client relationships the right way.

We all have the same client pool, so when some of us manage to get 90% / 95%/ 100% of clients to close the  contracts in questions, the ones who can not even get half to do so are doing something alarmingly, drastically and dramatically wrong.

2034 of 2,232

Yeah that's true, alarmingly, drastically wrong. 

I h ave the bad habit of focusing on great quality work and delivering results, I need to focus more on mundane administrative tasks that fill up my schedule and reduce the time I have to spend on getting great results.

I know that sounds sarcastic but I actually agree with youCat Happy

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2035 of 2,232

Steven A wrote:

I h ave the bad habit of focusing on great quality work and delivering results, I need to focus more on mundane administrative tasks that fill up my schedule and reduce the time I have to spend on getting great results.

PLEASE don't make it sound like anyone has to choose between delivering results and taking care of contract-administration.

Mate, it is called "running a business" and that starts before you accept a contract and does not end when you throw the deliverables at the client.

Get used to it.

Highlighted
2036 of 2,232

Actually UpWork is the "business" -- I am a "freelancer".

Thanks for your points and everyone's advice I'm going to try all of this without a doubt.

I suspect in some time UpWork will figure out that some changes need to be made to be more logical of a system.

What if Amazon counted "no reviews" as "bad reviews" LOL every product would have a bad ratingSmiley Happy

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2037 of 2,232

Steven A wrote:

Actually UpWork is the "business" -- I am a "freelancer".

Not really. You are the business, UW is one of the tools you use (along with software licenses, bank accounts, marketing tools such as a website and social media profiles). 

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2038 of 2,232

Steven A wrote:

Ask the client to end the contract immediately after the project is finished, when they are still online and very happy with your work. That will give you the best chance that they do that. Clients know how important feedback is to the freelancer, so they will be happy to help you out. If you miss that crucial time window, only end one contract at a time after a few contracts with feedback so that the percentage of contracts without feedback become too many. Plus, as Petra stated, client selection is key. 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2039 of 2,232

Steven A wrote:

My "clients who would recommened" you percentage is 100%, JSS is truly flawed, or the worst thing to do is consider "no feedback" as bad because I am literally reminding people 4x in one day and still not getting feedback, but these are people that have re-hired me it's not unhappiness with the work, it's just human nature to not leave feedback 

If the client closes the contract, you don't need to ask for feedback, Upwork requires it during the closing process. And, return clients positively impact your JSS. 

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2040 of 2,232

Emma,

Upwork likes automatic default selections (such as new projects defaulting to minimum JSS requirement of 90), so there's no good reason Upwork couldn't tell a client that the freelancer will automatically be assigned an average rating for a just-finished project unless the client provides other feedback within, say, seven days.

It would be interesting to see what Upwork would consider "average" when it comes the JSS and how many clients would manually enter non-average feedback. 

And no project would ever again be closed without "feedback" for the freelancer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS