Anton L Member Since: Apr 25, 2019
2051 of 2,731

Hi, everyone.

When can I get first JSS?

Please let me know.

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
2052 of 2,731

Hi Anton,

Thanks for reaching out to us. More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects. Since not all projects and clients are equal, the length of time will vary. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. The projects need to be with at least three different clients and take place within a 24-month period.

We exclude clients whose freelancers report a history of unreasonable feedback so their scores won't count against you, but that may mean it takes longer to receive your initial score.

You may want to follow on our Help Article to learn more about JSS.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Anton L Member Since: Apr 25, 2019
2053 of 2,731

Thanks. Aleksandar.

But should I get feedbacks from all of the eight projects?

And does any refund affect the jss?

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2054 of 2,731

That is fascinating information, Alexsandar. And thank you for it.

Others here will no doubt claim they knew about this element of the JSS calculation, but it is new tome.

I have said here before that Upwork should make public the average ratings clients have provided their previous freelancers, so freelancers who might apply to those clients' future job postings can decide whether they want to work for hard-to-please / argumentative / dyspeptic clients.

Upwork's solution to this problem is better than nothing, but it results in such clients' future freelancers worrying unnecessarily about unavoidably negative feedback they have no way of knowing won't count against their Job Success Score.

For my part, I'd much rather completely avoid working with such clients than work for them, put up with their shenanigans and then wonder whether their unjustifably negative feedback is or isn't going to be reflected in my JSS calculation.

Making these clients' feedback public would likely also have the effect of reducing the number of proposals these clients get for their future projects, which Upwork has recently said is an important goal.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2055 of 2,731

Will L wrote:

That is fascinating information, Alexsandar. And thank you for it.

Others here will no doubt claim they knew about this element of the JSS calculation, but it is new tome.

It's on the main "About the JSS" page.  It's also been mentioned many, many times.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2056 of 2,731

Yes, so it is, Petra.

Thank you for pointing that out. 

But there is no mention in that blurb that the JSS calculation is adjusted based on which "clients those freelancers report a history of unreasonable feedback."

One place says Upwork automatically adjusts the JSS calculation. The other says the adjustment is based on freelancer complaints about negative client feedback.

So, freelancers shouldn't be shy about complaining to Upwork when they think a client has left unjustifiably negative feedback for them. It's in the interest of freelancers who work for those clients in future, and we're all in this together, right?

How do you recommend freelancers make such complaints to  Upwork? 

Community Guru
2057 of 2,731

Will L wrote:

Yes, so it is, Petra.

Thank you for pointing that out. 

But there is no mention in that blurb that the JSS calculation is adjusted based on which "clients those freelancers report a history of unreasonable feedback."

I think the "report" bit was badly worded by the person who posted it. No reporting needed, it is automated. In fact I think suggesting that everyone who thinks some feedback is unfair should contact Upwork would bring Support to their knees in one day.

Wael M Member Since: Apr 28, 2019
2058 of 2,731

my JSS was 97% and suddenly decreased to 92% before the end of the week and updating the JSS, did I do something wrong?

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2059 of 2,731

Wael M wrote:

my JSS was 97% and suddenly decreased to 92% before the end of the week and updating the JSS, did I do something wrong?

Do you think you did something wrong?

Community Guru
2060 of 2,731

Wael M wrote:

Your last contract ended with the client giving you 3 stars in 2 categories, so the private feedback likely won't have been so great, which caused your JSS to drop.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS