Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: JSS had disappeared from my profile

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3051 of 3,598

Denis O wrote:

But, anyway, in my case, in the "My Stats" section I see that 100% of the clients has answered that they would recommend me. So, I see no reason for decreasing of JSS.

That doesn't mean much because it only updates once every X (unknown, thought to be 5) contracts.

Highlighted
Yevhen S Member Since: Sep 25, 2019
3052 of 3,598

I have a question regarding my Job Success. All of my projects were successful and all my clients gave me a rating of 5. Why then my Job Success = 63%?

Highlighted
Community Guru
3053 of 3,598

Edited as accidental double post

Highlighted
Community Guru
3054 of 3,598

Yevhen S wrote:

I have a question regarding my Job Success. All of my projects were successful and all my clients gave me a rating of 5. Why then my Job Success = 63%?

Stars and public feedback are meaningless (just about) - what counts is private feedback.

You must have had poor private feedback and / or contracts that were either cancelled, closed without anything having ever been paid, or have been open for months with nothing ever paid.

Highlighted
Shahid H Member Since: Oct 31, 2019
3055 of 3,598

what is meant by poor private feedback? a guy giving us five star and gave a good feedback which appears on our profile....then whats private feedback?

Highlighted
Community Guru
3056 of 3,598

Shahid H wrote:

what is meant by poor private feedback? a guy giving us five star and gave a good feedback which appears on our profile....then whats private feedback?

It is what the name suggests.

Private feedback is a 1-10 feedback the client leaves along with the public feedback.

You can see your private feedback percentage on your "My Stats" page under "Clients who would recommend you" once you have enough contracts with private feedback (which you don't yet.)

Highlighted
Shahid H Member Since: Oct 31, 2019
3057 of 3,598

After how many contracts this private feedback thing/Clients who would recommend you percentage will be visible to me?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3058 of 3,598

Shahid,

Upwork's feedback system is not designed to be "fair" in the sense that it can, or even tries to, ensure that client feedback is always realistic, fair and fact-based.

Clients are allowed to leave public feedback (which you and anyone else interested can see on your profile), which we have been told on this board is a "rating" that has little or no effect on your Job Success Score.

Clients are also allowed to leave private feedback, which only they and Upwork can ever see. We have been told this hidden feedback is a major component of every freelancer's Job Success Score.

We have been told on this board that the justification for this arrangement is that it prevents unhappy freelancers from complaining to clients who leave them less-than-perfect feedback.

Of course, if Upwork didn't set up its freelancer "rating" system such that clients are led to believe that using the JSS rating of above 90 to select freelancers assures they will be using only the best of the best freelancers, if Upwork made it OK for freelancers to, on average, provide services clients rate as "average," that would make the whole idea of rating freelancers at least somewhat realistic. And fewer freelancers would be upset if they receive ratings below a perfect “5” for every project they work on.

By definition, there should be nothing wrong with a freelancer providing average (3-star on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?) work - every population of anything has its mathematical "average" of whatever is being measured, so "average" should be close to the most common rating.. And on a scale of 1 to 100, it is very rare that the true average of anything will be above 90. 

If the client is happy to pay for “average” services, rather than insisting a freelancer must be superior in every way, then an “average” rating should not be a detriment to a freelancer’s success on Upwork. And consistently superior service from a freelancer would be distinguishable from the irrelevant statistical noise of the current JSS being skewed to the highest end of the 1 - 100 range.

Maybe Upwork’s new President & CEO will have a study done that clearly proves a freelancer with a JSS of, say, “only” 87 is very unlikely to provide services nearly as good as another freelancer with a JSS of, say, 90 or even 97. That would prove the true worth of the current JSS system to both clients and freelancers.

Right now, there is no proof I have seen that the JSS is a reliable indicator of job “success” on any particular project. We don't even know how JSS ratings are spread across the universe of Upwork's currently active freelancers or what the average and median range of JSS ratings is. 

Yes, a freelancer with a JSS of 40 may be highly unlikely to be as reliable or talented as another freelancer with a JSS of 85, but measuring that clear difference to weed out obviously incompetent freelancers is not what the JSS is primarily being used by clients to do, if the ongoing complaints we see on this board from sub-100-rated freelancers who see – or expect they will see – less success in getting new projects if their JSS drops outside the very highest range of 0 - 100.)

Good luck.

Highlighted
Roman K Member Since: Dec 10, 2019
3059 of 3,598

About a month ago, I noticed that I had a JSS 88%. Since then, I've been working on the one contract and I'm still working. But I noticed that JSS had disappeared from my profile. How did this happen?

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
3060 of 3,598

Hi Roman,

You'll need to have a certain amount of feedback to receive a Job Success Score. More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects. Since not all projects and clients are equal, the length of time will vary. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. Job Success Score is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months window. If there aren't enough contracts within that period, your JSS can't be calculated. Once you complete more contracts you'll get JSS. To learn more about your Job success score, check out this Help Article.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS