Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: JSS Score shows a drop off every 14 ays

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3041 of 3,376

Shahid,

Upwork's feedback system is not designed to be "fair" in the sense that it can, or even tries to, ensure that client feedback is always realistic, fair and fact-based.

Clients are allowed to leave public feedback (which you and anyone else interested can see on your profile), which we have been told on this board is a "rating" that has little or no effect on your Job Success Score.

Clients are also allowed to leave private feedback, which only they and Upwork can ever see. We have been told this hidden feedback is a major component of every freelancer's Job Success Score.

We have been told on this board that the justification for this arrangement is that it prevents unhappy freelancers from complaining to clients who leave them less-than-perfect feedback.

Of course, if Upwork didn't set up its freelancer "rating" system such that clients are led to believe that using the JSS rating of above 90 to select freelancers assures they will be using only the best of the best freelancers, if Upwork made it OK for freelancers to, on average, provide services clients rate as "average," that would make the whole idea of rating freelancers at least somewhat realistic. And fewer freelancers would be upset if they receive ratings below a perfect “5” for every project they work on.

By definition, there should be nothing wrong with a freelancer providing average (3-star on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?) work - every population of anything has its mathematical "average" of whatever is being measured, so "average" should be close to the most common rating.. And on a scale of 1 to 100, it is very rare that the true average of anything will be above 90. 

If the client is happy to pay for “average” services, rather than insisting a freelancer must be superior in every way, then an “average” rating should not be a detriment to a freelancer’s success on Upwork. And consistently superior service from a freelancer would be distinguishable from the irrelevant statistical noise of the current JSS being skewed to the highest end of the 1 - 100 range.

Maybe Upwork’s new President & CEO will have a study done that clearly proves a freelancer with a JSS of, say, “only” 87 is very unlikely to provide services nearly as good as another freelancer with a JSS of, say, 90 or even 97. That would prove the true worth of the current JSS system to both clients and freelancers.

Right now, there is no proof I have seen that the JSS is a reliable indicator of job “success” on any particular project. We don't even know how JSS ratings are spread across the universe of Upwork's currently active freelancers or what the average and median range of JSS ratings is. 

Yes, a freelancer with a JSS of 40 may be highly unlikely to be as reliable or talented as another freelancer with a JSS of 85, but measuring that clear difference to weed out obviously incompetent freelancers is not what the JSS is primarily being used by clients to do, if the ongoing complaints we see on this board from sub-100-rated freelancers who see – or expect they will see – less success in getting new projects if their JSS drops outside the very highest range of 0 - 100.)

Good luck.

Roman K Member Since: Dec 10, 2019
3042 of 3,376

About a month ago, I noticed that I had a JSS 88%. Since then, I've been working on the one contract and I'm still working. But I noticed that JSS had disappeared from my profile. How did this happen?

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
3043 of 3,376

Hi Roman,

You'll need to have a certain amount of feedback to receive a Job Success Score. More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects. Since not all projects and clients are equal, the length of time will vary. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. Job Success Score is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months window. If there aren't enough contracts within that period, your JSS can't be calculated. Once you complete more contracts you'll get JSS. To learn more about your Job success score, check out this Help Article.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Sunil A Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
3044 of 3,376

Hi,
I have my JSS score dropped to 71% from 100% in the last 28 days(14*2 weeks). I have viewed other freelancers profiles under Data Entry and Web Research with 100% JSS score with only 1-2 projects per year or not even a single project per year.

I have been bidding on projects as per the guidelines. Basically I place a bid on only 1-2 projects per day for only 2-3 days per week. I have been purchasing connects on a regular basis. You can go through my history of connects.

I am not addressing clients to:
Work outside upwork
Pay outside upwork
Chat outside upwork
Call outside upwork
For email address or phone number.
Free work.

I have gone through
1. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-My-Job-Success-Score
2. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006097327-Job-Success-Score-Changed

Please Help

Best Regards

Sunil A

Community Guru
Louisa J Member Since: Apr 12, 2017
3045 of 3,376

Hello. JSS stands for Job Success Score.

Therefore, all of the things you mention in the list should not affect your JSS. Some of the things you mention in your list would boot you off the platform, so kudos for playing by the rules. But in this case, they are not related to the JSS. 

The JSS is made up of how successful you were at the jobs completed. Sometimes, a client can leave negative feedback behind the scenes, even though they give you 5-star publically. You will never know.

Keep on working hard and hopefully your JSS will improve as you progress. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Antun M Member Since: Jan 27, 2018
3046 of 3,376

Louisa J wrote:

Hello. JSS stands for Job Success Score.

Therefore, all of the things you mention in the list should not affect your JSS. Some of the things you mention in your list would boot you off the platform, so kudos for playing by the rules. But in this case, they are not related to the JSS. 

The JSS is made up of how successful you were at the jobs completed. Sometimes, a client can leave negative feedback behind the scenes, even though they give you 5-star publically. You will never know.

Keep on working hard and hopefully your JSS will improve as you progress. 

Though, we do "know"..?

Not implying that freelancers can see private feedback, but knowing if a project is not a good fit, just going haywire.

Good project won't result in a bad private feedback.
Bad ones we must be aware of, can't be a surprise when a client is unhappy.

Agree on all you wrote, this is an inclusion from my end.

Stephen K Member Since: Jan 10, 2019
3047 of 3,376

I haven't had any clients leave feedback for me recently - but my JSS just dropped 2% (100% to 98%) for no discernible reason.  I haven't "closed" any jobs recently, so I can't see it being feedback based, and haven't received any notification from Upwork for anything negative.

Any reason for this or way to find out why this would happen?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3048 of 3,376

Stephen K wrote:

I haven't had any clients leave feedback for me recently - but my JSS just dropped 2% (100% to 98%) for no discernible reason.  I haven't "closed" any jobs recently, so I can't see it being feedback based, and haven't received any notification from Upwork for anything negative.

Any reason for this or way to find out why this would happen?

Is there a contract that never led to any earnings? Either cancelled / fully refunded / closed without earnings or that has been open for 2+ months without ever having had anything paid under it?

Chris H Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
3049 of 3,376

My JSS actually crept up from 79% to 80% with the last JSS update, though my approval rating has gone down from 88% to 82%.

I completed my 14th gig, where I actually got my first bonus, which made me feel good.

I've been having health issues and was going to be about 36 hours late completing a transcription gig.

I informed the client of this, after the agreed upon due date though, apologizing, explaining my situation and telling her I could get it transcribed for her today.

I did tell her though that if she cancelled the contract to give the job to someone else I'd completely understand.

Well, that's exactly what she did.

I'm thinking I made a big mistake in telling her that she could cancel the contract, as I'm making $0 and my JSS is going to go down the drain.

Should I have just gotten the job done ASAP, having it back to her a day and a half late? My understanding is that you can't be penalized by Upwork for being late with a project.

The thing that gets me is that I am having genuine health issues. When I've worked for brick and mortar employers they've been a hell of a lot more empathic and understanding then this client.

EDIT: I will not be submitting any proposals for any gigs unless they are just very, very short projects until my health improves.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
3050 of 3,376

Chris H wrote:

My JSS actually crept up from 79% to 80% with the last JSS update, though my approval rating has gone down from 88% to 82%.

I completed my 14th gig, where I actually got my first bonus, which made me feel good.

I've been having health issues and was going to be about 36 hours late completing a transcription gig.

I informed the client of this, after the agreed upon due date though, apologizing, explaining my situation and telling her I could get it transcribed for her today.

I did tell her though that if she cancelled the contract to give the job to someone else I'd completely understand.

Well, that's exactly what she did.

I'm thinking I made a big mistake in telling her that she could cancel the contract, as I'm making $0 and my JSS is going to go down the drain.

Should I have just gotten the job done ASAP, having it back to her a day and a half late? My understanding is that you can't be penalized by Upwork for being late with a project.

The thing that gets me is that I am having genuine health issues. When I've worked for brick and mortar employers they've been a hell of a lot more empathic and understanding then this client.

EDIT: I will not be submitting any proposals for any gigs unless they are just very, very short projects until my health improves.

To be honest I think most clients do not care about your health issues. They hire you to get a job done and when applying for a job you are implying that you can get it done. When you accept a contract you commit to it. While you can go on a sickleave in the "real world", you cannot as a freelancer. It is a big mistake to believe that freelancing is a solution for everyone that cannot work otherwise. As a freelancer you run your own business and unless you are ready and able to give 100% you might want to reconsider freelancing in general.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS