Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Job Success Score - Contact Cancel By Client

Chris H Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
3051 of 3,375

Jennifer R wrote:

Chris H wrote:

My JSS actually crept up from 79% to 80% with the last JSS update, though my approval rating has gone down from 88% to 82%.

I completed my 14th gig, where I actually got my first bonus, which made me feel good.

I've been having health issues and was going to be about 36 hours late completing a transcription gig.

I informed the client of this, after the agreed upon due date though, apologizing, explaining my situation and telling her I could get it transcribed for her today.

I did tell her though that if she cancelled the contract to give the job to someone else I'd completely understand.

Well, that's exactly what she did.

I'm thinking I made a big mistake in telling her that she could cancel the contract, as I'm making $0 and my JSS is going to go down the drain.

Should I have just gotten the job done ASAP, having it back to her a day and a half late? My understanding is that you can't be penalized by Upwork for being late with a project.

The thing that gets me is that I am having genuine health issues. When I've worked for brick and mortar employers they've been a hell of a lot more empathic and understanding then this client.

EDIT: I will not be submitting any proposals for any gigs unless they are just very, very short projects until my health improves.

To be honest I think most clients do not care about your health issues. They hire you to get a job done and when applying for a job you are implying that you can get it done. When you accept a contract you commit to it. While you can go on a sickleave in the "real world", you cannot as a freelancer. It is a big mistake to believe that freelancing is a solution for everyone that cannot work otherwise. As a freelancer you run your own business and unless you are ready and able to give 100% you might want to reconsider freelancing in general.

Yes, I imagine you are very correct in that most clients don't give a hoot about a freelancers health issues. I've hired freelancers a couple of times and I don't think I would really have cared too much about the freelancers health issues either. I just wanted the job done well at the price I was willing to offer.

I am definitely going to be taking some time off from freelancing until my health is more stable.

Majid R Member Since: Dec 14, 2019
3052 of 3,375

Dear Up-Work Community

I had a contract with client of “**Edited for Community Guidelines**” with first milestone of 5 levels in one week, the contract start on Thursday 12-Dec. I had start working on contract, after one day on end of Friday 13-Dec I got e-mail from up-work that contract is in suspended mode, don’t work until up-work support teem check and resolve the issue and contract status change to active, and till the e-mail came I had done most of work than decided.

On Saturday 14-Dec I got message from client asking for work progresses, I told him that check the status of contract as it is in suspended mode, resolve it with up-work support team, so I can submit work progresses detail.

After that he replay that his account is banned somehow, more he don’t like to work with me, so he is canceling the contract, and ask for refund as first millstone amount was in Escrow.

I had no concern of amount I am ready to refund, no need to dispute.

But will it affect my Job Success Score.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3053 of 3,375

Majid R wrote:

But will it affect my Job Success Score.

Contracts with banned clients are excluded from the JSS

Majid R Member Since: Dec 14, 2019
3054 of 3,375

Can banned client login to up-work  and communucat with freelancer ?

Can i check the client actually banned and contract does not affect my JSS ?

Community Guru
3055 of 3,375

Majid R wrote:

Can i check the client actually banned and contract does not affect my JSS ?

If the contract is on hold, the client is suspended. You don't need to "check it"

Humberto V Member Since: Dec 12, 2019
3056 of 3,375

Hello. 

Last week my profile went down from 93% to 86% Job Success Score, making me lose my Top Rated status. In my status page last week my client recommendation score was 88%. This week dropped to 73%. Seriously. Should I expect an even further drop on mu Job Success score upon update? During this week I started a contract from a previous client and closed another one with 5 start ratting. Althow is not something to brag about, it looks like an emprovement to me. 

Contacting Upwork Support they just told me to read some articles about JSS, that´s it, which sounds like a way to avoiding discussing the subject with me.

Now tell me, honestly, I have reasons to believe my JSS will drop drastically next update?

Community Guru
3057 of 3,375

Humberto V wrote:

Seriously. Should I expect an even further drop on mu Job Success score upon update?

Now tell me, honestly, I have reasons to believe my JSS will drop drastically next update?

Not necessarily, because the "Clients who would recommend" metric does not update the same way, it only updates after every few contracts, so it is not impossible that whatever made your JSS drop is the same contract that has now been included in the "Clients who would recommend me" metric.

If you lost your Top Rated status after that 4 star feedback, did you not use your perk to have the impact of that contract removed from your JSS calculation? And I'd NEVER have accepted a contract with that client, purely based on the feedback they left (or failed to leave) for their freelancers.

3058 of 3,375

to be honest I did used my perk to remove a contract, but not that 4 star ratting contract, I used it in another one that had very little activity and with no feedback. The 4 start ratting does not mean that the client does not like your work, it could mean it has a higher standarts level, I still work with this client and I have no reason to believe its has bad private feedback, otherwise why would it hire me again?

You reason might be straigh on in case the client no longer hired me again. That´s not the case. Makes no sense a client that chooses to start a new contract with you at the same time does not recommend you, its like thinking one thing and doing another one.

Community Guru
3059 of 3,375

Humberto V wrote:

to be honest I did used my perk to remove a contract, but not that 4 star ratting contract, I used it in another one that had very little activity and with no feedback.

Why? A contract with little activity, provided you were at some point paid something, does not affect your JSS at all, so you wasted your perk and can't use it again for 3 months and 10 contracts.

3060 of 3,375

Actually it was suggested by Upwork staff. Anyway it makes sense what you said IF the client did not hired me again. The client did. So if what you say is the truth - just gessing - the client would not work with me again. But he does, right now I have an ongoing contract with him and there is nothing, absolutely nothing in our work feed that denotes anything bad as far as goes in work relationship. The 4 start ratting could be just like "well he is ok but has to work harder to get 5 starts from me".

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS