🐈 Community
emmac6248
Member

JSS

**Update: This thread has been closed for new replies**

 

 

I would like to understand why  Upwork don't look at clients who don't leave feedback.  Some clients are one-off users, others are too busy to leave feedback and some just don't understand how to do it.  I have long-standing contracts that never received feedback, yet the messages show how happy the client  was.  I have other clients who were first time users and had work complete - were happy (again, said so) but didn't leave feedback. Then there are the users who just never leave feedback - for anyone!  I have flagged and flagged this but the help team just keep repeating the same thread (obviously a template).  I think that clients notorious for not leaving feedback should be taken into account and if a freelancer requests feedback - they should not be penalised for no feedback left.  I also think Upwork should look at those contracts and make their own decisions.  Am so fed up with this system that I've shifted some stuff over to another website, some clients are now private and I'm trying my best to move a load of other clients.  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

 

We are closing this thread from new replies because it has grown too large and with recent changes some information here is now outdated.

 

Here are the links to most recent changes in how JSS is calculated:

No feedback contracts no longer impacting JSS

Job size being factored into JSS 

 

For general information about how Job Success Score is calculated, please see this help article. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,753 REPLIES 5,753
universe1983
Member

Last week I brougtht over my profile over from Elance to UpWork with a job success of 100%, suddenly this week it's 74%. How come? Anyone else experienced this? It doesn't make sense. Almost all my ratings are 5 stars, and no less than 4. 90% recommended by clients, 24% long term clients, 1800+ hours worked, 80+ jobs. 74% "Job Success" doesn't make sense.

Elance and Upwork JS are two different things. Upwork takes into account refunds, jobs not completed, private feedback and a bunch of other things.

 

What is Job Success?

https://support.upwork.com/entries/23152927-What-is-Job-Success-

There might be an issue with the calculations, wait for the next update. When JS came along I had, for some reason, 79%, then it grew to 88% without me even doing any projects and stayed there for a long time.

 

If nothing changes, then it might be that during the 3 time slices (6, 12 and 24 months) they use to calculate your feedback, the 74% was the highest you had. Even if this happens, don't worry too much, you have a lot of work history and clients will hire you anyway and in a few months you can easily get back to 100%.

I'll see if anything happens at the next update, as 74% makes me look bad and is not a reflection of the hard work I've put to earn my good marks. I looked at other profiles and there are many contractors who have many negative feedbacks and ratings less than 3 stars, yet they have Success Rate around 90%.

This is one of the reason why this metric dont work, is to erratic, I begain with 64 and now im in 94%. I dont think I am that different today than few months ago when the JS% was Iintroduced. 

My JS score has been 83% and hasn't changed at all.  4.83 stars, 93% recommended, 1,500 hours, and 50+ jobs.  

 

Somehow I've had 0% long-term clients even though I've had several 6+ month hourly contracts, and repeat contracts?  Is that a bug?

 

However, it hasn't really affected my ability to get work.  At the same time, I don't see why I shouldn't be top rated when I compare myself side-by-side to other Top Rated freelancers.

 

One thing that I'm looking forward to from the Coming Soon section of the Top Rated article on Upwork...

 

"Recognition for high earners: We’re exploring ways for high-earning freelancers to stand out above and beyond the Top Rated badge."

 

Above and beyond the Top Rated Badge.  Nice!  Unless they call it the "Expensive Freelancer" badge... Haha!

 

Anyways, it sounds like we have similar stats so I would think we would have a similar rating.  I did notice that you have several jobs without feedback and one negative review.  I guess that might tilt the scale a bit?  I have several jobs without a review but not quite so many.  It seems like you would have something around 80%.  Plus you have 24% long-term clients compared to my 0%, so maybe it should be higher than my 83%.

 

I'm just waiting for the day when mine suddenly drops for no apparent reason.  Smiley Frustrated

Hi Daniel,

 

I did a little research of your Work History and it looks like there is no mistake in the way long-term clients metric is calculated for you. This mertic shows the % of clients you work with and receive payments from for at least three months in the last year. It can be over multiple contracts. Although you have had a few repeat clients an long-term projects, it doesn't looks like any of them meet the criteria of 3 months of working in the last year. 

 

Note however, that not having long-term clients doesn't affect your Job Success score negatively.

 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Please let me know why my score has been 74%, when All my ratings are 5 stars, I am new here so my score is very important with me..

Thank you

Hi Le,

 

There are many factors that go into your Job Success Score calculation including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, a pattern of contracts without feedback, etc. To learn more about JSS, please check out this help article.

 

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

I am very sad about this..

 

Thank you..

Hi Aleksandar,

You tell me about the above problem, but  I just check my profile, I do not have any private reviews

All are public and 5-star rating, I don't understand why my score has been 74%..

I am very sad about this..

Thank you..

 

 


Le N wrote:

You tell me about the above problem, but  I just check my profile, I do not have any private reviews


You do. Every time a client leaves public feedback, they also leave private feedback.

Contracts that fail to lead to any earnings (ever) also hurt you JSS (cancelled, fully refunded, or left open with nothing (ever) paid).

Hi Petra R,

I don't know Why we need Private Feedback??

What Exactly Is A Private Feedback??

 

Because. In the process of working, there are many customers who do not appreciate exactly what is going on, I think everything should be clear and transparent. If we still have private reviews, that's not fair for a freelancer

 

Thank you.


Le N wrote:

Hi Petra R,

I don't know Why we need Private Feedback??

What Exactly Is A Private Feedback??

 

Because. In the process of working, there are many customers who do not appreciate exactly what is going on, I think everything should be clear and transparent. If we still have private reviews, that's not fair for a freelancer

 

Thank you.


Remember that private feedback can also be good! You would not complain then, right? The system works the same for everybody, so in that sense it is fair. 

Thank Martina P

Hello Valerie,

I'd like for you to check my account. I have maintained 100% JSS since april and I became Top-rated in July. However after the update of JSS today I discovered it dropped to 95% despite completing my first 4 hours of work here and also doing a job for a long term client with an open job. I'm scared I'd lose my badge by the next evaluation should my JSS drop again.

Secondly, I'm currently on an hourly job with a client I have work with before but this is a fresh contract just starting and I can't see the project appear under" jobs in progress " as it ought to be.

Kindly help shed more light on these complaints. Thansk🤗🤗

Thanks everyone, good answers.

 

Yes, Daniel, I don't see why you shouldn't have the Top Rated badge, you should totally get one! We have similar stats, but it's not possible the single negative review would overshadow the rest of the reviews and knock off the success rate so badly, as I mentioned I saw many profiles with much more negative reviews and yet JS rate over 90%. But what really made me wonder was the sentence in the "What is my Job Success Score?" support page, it says: "If your score falls below 75%, you may find it difficult to win new clients in the marketplace.", so it does seem weird to drop from 100% to 74% overnight. The support page also says: "We won't reveal the exact calculation for Job Success ... We need to maintain some privacy with this metric to ensure fairness and accuracy.", so obviously there's more than meets the eye, and things that are really beyond our control, no matter how successful or diligent we strive to be.

 

Me too

 

It's same for me on the 26th of September, my JSS was 100%. but when I saw my profile on 27th of September, it was 83%, I haven't received any review rating less than 5star, but I don't understand that why they just dropped my JSS from 100 to 83 without any reason.

6588554b
Member

Hello! This question has probably been asked a lot before, but I'm going to ask it again! Because I like direct answers! 🙂 

 

So, I recently became a Top Freelancer and finally got my job success score. I was excited because I saw it was 100%. A week or two ago I looked again and saw that it was 90%. Now I checked my profile and all my ratings were 5 stars. No one gave me a bad review. 

 

Why did my score drop from 100% to 90%? 

 

I do have one job that has been open for what seems like forever. (It started in like July 2016?) The client never closed it in case they wanted to contact me again, even though the job is technically completed. Is it because of this?

 

Or is it because I recently just started another contract with a repeat client? That job is in progress too because it is recent.

 

Not sure why this affects my score if it has something to do with any of the above possibilities.

 

I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks! 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Meagan,

 

Please note that in addition to public feedback your clients leave, they also leave private feedback (as you do for your clients) which is included in the Job Success Score calculation. Also, open contract which haven't had any activity in a while can affect the score negatively, so we advise users to work with their clients and close inactive contracts to prevent the possible negative effect.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir!

 

I have similar problem, one open contract since july 2016., and unresponsive client. I tried to contact him, ask him to close contract and leave feedback, but no response from him. My JSS was 100%, but now is 96%, maybe because this contract is still open, and no payments since july 2016?

 

I'm affraid if I close contract, that my JSS will get worse, due to lack of feedback? What should I do?


@Vladimir G wrote:
so we advise users to work with their clients and close inactive contracts to prevent the possible negative effect.

 this is very irritating feature to be punished for clients inactivity for fixed cost jobs, instead of delivering just a good job for an agreed account - freelancer, me, has to distract to activities are not paid off, just taking time and consuming CNS potential. Validate feedback, ensure escrow, which doesn't mean much, because of million reasons, disturb client, talk to support. Do i have to do extra pushups? Dance around with tambourine?  Who invented this?

 

Client may need to have time to validate results and come back with dicussion and get suggestion. But UW bangs you in a head with JSS drop which will be evaluated within 2 week period. 

 

Please don't reference private feedback here, i don't believe it should influence much. Again, there is no clear understanding and rules to play, there are vague recommendations: it may, possible that, etc.

 

Now tell me, who is the devil? (c)

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo

Mike, Aleksandar and Pascal,

 

It's very important that freelancers don't only deliver high quality work on contracts they accepted but also communicate with their clients professionally, manage their expectations and stay on top of the process. That's why while one contract without feedback isn't going to affect JSS, a pattern of such contracts can. Similarly, if you don't expect more work on a contract any time soon, it's better to ask the client to close them.

~ Valeria
Upwork


@Valeria K wrote:

Mike, Aleksandar and Pascal,

 

It's very important that freelancers don't only deliver high quality work on contracts they accepted but also communicate with their clients professionally, manage their expectations and stay on top of the process. That's why while one contract without feedback isn't going to affect JSS, a pattern of such contracts can. Similarly, if you don't expect more work on a contract any time soon, it's better to ask the client to close them.


i had to use UW support to reach out client to move on projects, actually, flooding him with 'Please review and close contract' in polite manner, so i don't think i have more influence on a contract in such circumstances. Do you think it is fair? I don't, UW REALLY failed to make correct stat in this case. I am always on top of communication, but thank you UW for showing me where my place is. As i said, too much facelifting and uneeded activity needed instead of just delivering a good work and it is for an extra fee.

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo

Mike, I like your pushups and tambourines idea. It's as logical as solution as any I've heard. Please let us know if it works. Thanks in advance...

Hi Vladimir

 

you said :  open contract which haven't had any activity in a while can affect the score negatively, so we advise users to work with their clients and close inactive contracts to prevent the possible negative effect.

 

Why does Upwork let it happen? dont you see that something is wrong? why dont you fix it?

 

letting a client go without a leaving a feedback is not good for everyone, what is the point here?

 

thank you

Pascal

 

How to contact unrensponsive client? Why irresponsible customers also not be punished in some way?


@Aleksandar A wrote:

How to contact unrensponsive client? Why irresponsible customers also not be punished in some way?


 it depends, my final try would be contacting UW support and asking them to nudge client politely, Sometimes they just getting busy and need time to get back, sometimes they are have no intention to pay.

 

But an issue is that UW cloaks client identity and doesn't put any valuable constraint on them, giving them a freedom of do what ever they like to, as in result lowering the quality of listing and jobs here.

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo

This client success rating system is FLAWED.  I had an 85% last week, due to a ONE-TIME bad rating from ONE client...out of like 20!  How did my rating drop so far so fast?  I have no idea because no one at UpWork will tell me.  Recently, on this forum, I see that open contracts also are bad for our score...so just to recap:

 

I am actively applying for jobs.

I get 5-star ratings from 99.5% of my customers.

I have one customer that likes to leave contracts open so she can give me more jobs...no big deal.

But that ONE low score and the open contracts (three over the past few months--same client) are giving me a 75% client success rate?

 

It's all I can do not to swear right now.  My case needs to be reviewed.

April, every time you post about this, the numbers and presumed reasons change. Since your profile is set to private, no one can give you any meaningful input on what may be impacting your JSS. 

 

That's further complicated by the contradictory information you post. For example, you say that you've had about 20 jobs, but that 99.5% of your clients have given you 5-star feedback. The minimum number of clients to have had 99.5% of them give you 5-star feedback would be 200. If you've had 20 clients and 19 of them gave you 5-star feedback, that's 95%. 18 is 90%, etc.

 

Three open contracts plus one lower feedback is 20% of 20 jobs.

 

 

I have some unresponsive clients. After I finished the job they thanked me and just leave. They didn't close the job. I requested them but no answer. What should I do now? Can I close those contract? and how can I work with them closely if they did not even revisit Upwork? I think I should pray to God that one day my clients will come back and close those jobs.

My JSS score is dropped without any reason. one of my projects is in progress who paid me last week. and my JSS was 94 which is dropped to 88 without any reason neither new project is started nor any project ended since last about 1.5 months. My JSS score is dropped without any reason. one of my projects is in progress which paid me last week. and my JSS was 94 which is dropped to 88 without any reason neither new project is started nor any project ended since last about 1.5 months.

my score was 94 last week. I have no new feed back. I have no dispute or any refund, no negative feedback or customer complaints since last 4 week. then why???

 

your trend was showing i am at 94 then what happend to tend suddenly? i told you no new contract in or out since last 4 weeks. then why the trend is going so crazy ?
 
and my existing contract is also pay timely. then why ?
Where was your algorithm, 4 weeks ago, when it was showing 94? if old things were not going positive.
 
your algorithm is not fair if its doing so. i spent many many hours to get there. and you going away just saying its algorithum? I am extremely disappointed with Up-work. 

while it is nearly impossible to understand you, i agree that the JSS this week is wierd.

i finished two jobs with 5star feedback the last 2 weeks, it dropped from 100 to 98.

i suppose jss will remain a mystery forever.

you'll have to accept it, i suppose.

Hi Nahid,

 

You can close the inactive jobs yourself if your clients aren't responding to your requests. You can close them at a rate of one contract biweekly, making sure you also successfully complete a contract and receive feedback in the meantime. Note that it's far more effective to ask the client to close your contract when delivering final work than following up with them after the work has been delivered and job completed.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for your information.

I have one question : Is the score updated when i have finished inactivated contract?

Actually, i had one inactivated contract 2 weeks ago, but it is now activated again.

What do you think?

Hi Sergii,

 

Job Success Score is updated every second Sunday, please check the link I shared in my post above.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Upwork should not penalize freelancers for having unresponsive clients. As much as Upwork and its representatives on this board would like us to believe we must control our clients' actions, many clients (and maybe the happy ones, especially) don't trouble themselves with leaving feedback.

 

Instead of simply automatically counting no feedback from clients as a negative ding on a freelancer's Job Success Score, Upwork should notify clients when a job is cancelled, closed by the freelancer due to ongoing client unresponsiveness, etc. that the freelancer will automatically be awarded a perfect 5.0 rating on their project if the client does not leave his or her own freelancer rating within 14 days.

 

Many or even most of the happy clients would probably let the positive rating stand. Unhappy clients would have plenty of time to revise the rating on their own projects. And freelancers would not be held responsible for the actions of clients no reasonable person would expect them to be able to control.

Hi there,

I have completed all my jobs succssfully, but my current score is only 75%.

The score was shown first when I ended 4th contracts, and it was 100%, but it was dropped down to 80% when I ended 5th contract(client's name was Liz) although I had completed that job succssfully.

The score was increased to 83% when I ended 6th contract, but it was dropped down again to 75% after I ended 2 new contracts(here, the client's name was Liz, same with above client).

I asked Liz whether she chose "job successfully completed" when she ended contracts, and she said "yes".

This is very strange and I can't understand the reason of my score.

Please explain about this situation in details.

Thank you,

Sergii