Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1171 of 5,754

This is just my opinion, but I think that clients may rate someone well for the "star" items because the freelancer performs adequately or didn't do anything *wrong.* But the private feedback asks a different question, it asks whether the client would recommend the freelancer to someone else. (We freelancers are asked the same thing about the client.) I think this rating allows the client (and freelancer) to evaluate the exchange as a whole, considering the intangibles such as how easy it was to work with the other person.

Also, some freelancers either wait too long to solicit feedback or do so in a way that annoys the client (in my opinion). I suspect that the client then gives them a lower than expected "would you recommend rating." I know I consider the general annoyance factor of working with someone when I rate them via private feedback.  A question like "Would you recommend someone?" is asking whether you'd want your reputation associated with your own. IMO, that is a higher bar than just whether they did a good job or not. 

prasanth223344
Prasanth B Member Since: Jun 15, 2016
1172 of 5,754

I have received 5 star ratings in nearly all of my projects, but half a dozen are without ratings and it affected  my JSS badly. I can't seem to push it up even after working on many contracts afterwards, any tips?

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
1173 of 5,754

Hi Prasanth,

Job Success Score is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months window. You can focus on finishing smaller fixed price contracts and do well on them so that you get positive feedback to help improve your JSS as they will be included in your calculation a little bit faster.

-Joanne
Untitled
daria_chernova
Daria C Member Since: Apr 26, 2018
1174 of 5,754

Hello! I have a problem with my Job Success Score.

In May 2018 I made a video for one woman and it took me just a day. She was glad to get the video and she paid me money, but after that she didn't close contract and became irresponsible.

I got quite tired to see enclosed project in my profile, so I texted her many times asking to close contract and leave her feedback.

Finally, in August 2018 I decided to close contract myself. Day after I noticed that my Job Score is 77 percent instead of 95. I researched why and found that closing project by me influenced on this.

Is there any solution for this problem except keep working? 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1175 of 5,754

@Daria C wrote:

Finally, in August 2018 I decided to close contract myself. Day after I noticed that my Job Score is 77 percent instead of 95. I researched why and found that closing project by me influenced on this.

No it didn't. If money was paid on a contract, it doesn't hurt your JSS to close it yourself even if there was no feedback.

Chances are you got poor private feedback alongside the not perfect public feedback from a couple of your clients.

daria_chernova
Daria C Member Since: Apr 26, 2018
1176 of 5,754
Thank you. However I didn't have many projects, but all of them have 5
stars and 1-2 have 4, 2 job in progress.
neil_a
Neil H Member Since: Jan 30, 2017
1177 of 5,754

I am not sure Daria. I had a drop to 79 from 100 before getting 2-3 clients to finally close off the projects showing open for so long. I am hoping by the next update those closures will result in reasonable scores coming back on. But  not sure why you were dinged when the clien should gave done the responsible thing and closed it herself. The only reason a job should be left open is if they are seriously having you do more work on the same contract.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1178 of 5,754

@Neil H wrote:

I am not sure Daria. I had a drop to 79 from 100 before getting 2-3 clients to finally close off the projects showing open for so long. I am hoping by the next update those closures will result in reasonable scores coming back on. But  not sure why you were dinged when the clien should gave done the responsible thing and closed it herself. The only reason a job should be left open is if they are seriously having you do more work on the same contract.

I would expect that any less than 5-star public review is accompanied by a mid to low private review. Those private reviews will have a greater effect than open or closed contracts. IMO

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
1179 of 5,754

@Neil H wrote:

[The client] should gave done the responsible thing and closed it herself. The only reason a job should be left open is if they are seriously having you do more work on the same contract.

I find that I am ill-served by opinions about what clients should or shouldn't do, or rating them on a scale of responsibility. If a job is dormant for more than a couple months, I'll drop a note asking them to close if there's no more work, "...otherwise I shall close the contract by mm/dd/yy." Done deal.

asryantigran95
Tigran A Member Since: Aug 27, 2018
1180 of 5,754

Hello Everyone
I'm a member of Upwork from 2014 year, I have completed number of long term projects and gained Top Rated badge and 100% JSS for a long time(more than 2 years I think). My last project I completed on 27th of July and as I was working on it since 11th of April 2017 I decided to take a vacation. I changed my availabilty to Not Available and set the profile to private. Now I'm back and eager to take a new project, but I see that I'm no longer a Top Rated freelancer and my JSS is 80%.
Can anyone please explain why ?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS