Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2021 of 2,562

Sourav L wrote:

I was just viewing my profile and saw my JSS to be 95%. Few days back I was having 100% score with Top Rated badge. Though I still retain my Top Rated Badge but my JSS dropped by 5%. I have all completed task with 5 star rating.

If your JSS was 100% a few days ago, the contract that did it affected you during the period between the 1st of April and yesterday.

So it was either a contract that ended in those 2 weeks (there seems to be only one) or one that became 2 to 3 months old without anything having EVER been paid on it.

Sourav L wrote:

1. Is it about Private Feedback. If yes then is there a way I can retain my 100% back or know which contract/task caused it?

2. Any open fixed contract [ completed from both client&my side but client hasn't closed it but proposed amount is transfered to me ]

3. Any open hourly contract [ completed from both client&my side but client hasn't closed it but amount is transfered to me as per hour I devoted]

4. Ongoing hourly task [ present client might have given a review ]

5. Adding manual time to work diary [ approved by client ]

6. Not replying/action taken to invitation to interview proposals. [ Accept/Decilne ]

1. If there is only one contract that closed in the last 2 weeks, that is the one that did it. You could use your top rated perk to remove the impact on the JSS, but I would not do that.

2. No impact

3. No impact

4. Not if it is open -no

5.  No impact

6. No impact.

The only things that have a negative impact are feedback (public and / or private) and contracts that end or stay open for several months without anything ever having been paid on them. You don't have an excessive number of "No feedback" or "long term idle" contracts.

Marijana P Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
2022 of 2,562

After years of being a member of this community I'm seriously thinking of leaving. I've just seen that although all my jobs were rated with 5 stars, my job success score that has been 100 % from the start is now 95 % probably because of 2 jobs that are in progress and don't have a feedback yet. It's not fair at all, not to say that counting it by the earnings also wasn't fair, too.

I've never had the "top rated" badge although my JSS was 100 % because there weren't many jobs for my language. So who cares that you did an amazing work, recognized by the clients, you didn't earn $1000, because your language is not among the most spoken ones, and because of that there is no many clients to earn more, and you are not a top freelancer.

Couple of clients don't leave a feedback, because the job isn't over yet, and your job success is not 100 % because of something that wasn't your fault, how very fair...now your score is like the score of the ones that didn't do the job quite right.

How fair, how very fair...

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2023 of 2,562

Marijana P wrote:

After years of being a member of this community I'm seriously thinking of leaving. I've just seen that although all my jobs were rated with 5 stars, my job success score that has been 100 % from the start is now 95 % probably because of 2 jobs that are in progress and don't have a feedback yet. It's not fair at all, not to say that counting it by the earnings also wasn't fair, too.

I've never had the "top rated" badge although my JSS was 100 % because there weren't many jobs for my language. So who cares that you did an amazing work, recognized by the clients, you didn't earn $1000, because your language is not among the most spoken ones, and because of that there is no many clients to earn more, and you are not a top freelancer.

Couple of clients don't leave a feedback, because the job isn't over yet, and your job success is not 100 % because of something that wasn't your fault, how very fair...now your score is like the score of the ones that didn't do the job quite right.

How fair, how very fair...

Jobs that are still in progress have absolutely nothing to do you JSS as they only have an impact once the have been ended. Reading up on how the JSS is calculated would have saved you from complaining about something that is a total non-issue.

It is your private feedback, is my guess. What is your "clients that would recommend you" number? I guess it's quite below 100%, right? Sigh. Now who's fault is that? 

Marijana P Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
2024 of 2,562

Well interesting how that thing impacted my score today, while it has been the same for a long time, and my score was 100 % all the time till today. Since i actually did read how you calculate the score, and it was the same till today, I of course thought it must be open contracts, then.

And why can't you answer politely, like the other administrators? It's not funny to mock someone who asks for help to earn something. For many people this is the only source of income. And still isn't fair to calculate percentage due to an income.

Thank you goes to Will for polite and professional answer, example that someone should look up to.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2025 of 2,562

Marijana P wrote:

Well interesting how that thing impacted my score today, while it has been the same for a long time, and my score was 100 % all the time till today. Since i actually did read how you calculate the score, and it was the same till today, I of course thought it must be open contracts, then.

IF (!) you have any contracts that have been open for over 2 months open and never (!) had anything paid under them, yes. But if anything was paid under the contract and you don't have a whole load of such contracts (which you don't), open contracts don't hurt your JSS.

What does hurt the JSS is poor feedback (public or private)

and contracts that never had anything paid on them (open for months without payment ever, or closed without payment, ever, and no feedback)

That's it.

A couple of idle contracts with money paid does catefgorically not hurt your JSS at all.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2026 of 2,562

Marijana,

The JSS calculation is apparently not very nuanced or even "fair." As long as your JSS is above 90 - the threshold Upwork defaults to when a client puts in criteria for a new project - you will be in the pool of potential freelancers for projects that match your skills.

It's a pity that so many freelancers feel like failures, or at least at a distinct disadvantage, when their JSS is not 100%. That score is nearly impossible for busy freelancers to maintain with constant turnover in their client base.

But I think you are at an advantage if you specialize in a language that few other freelancers work in and your JSS is above 90%. Don't take yourself out of the game unless you find it's no longer worth the effort to find new clients.

Find great clients and make them happy with the quality of your work. Let Upwork take care of itself. As long as Upwork relies on algorithms to run its business, it's unlikely many freelancers will think everything Upwork does is perfect.

Mubashir A Member Since: Jul 23, 2018
2027 of 2,562

Greetings,

I have recently noticed that my JSS score is below 100% and it's 93%. I have noticed that all reviews which I have on my profile are 5 stars and none rate on my profile with low rating and why it get down? 
Can you give me any valid reason?

Looking forward to your positive response.

Kind Regards 
Mubashir

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2028 of 2,562

Mubashir A wrote:

Greetings,

I have recently noticed that my JSS score is below 100% and it's 93%. I have noticed that all reviews which I have on my profile are 5 stars and none rate on my profile with low rating and why it get down? 
Can you give me any valid reason?

Looking forward to your positive response.

Kind Regards 
Mubashir

Your post finds itself on page 202 of a long thread. It has been moved here by a moderator because the subject has been discussed before. I suggest you start at page 1, and you will definitely find your answer(s) once you reach page 202. Happy reading! 

Steven A Member Since: Nov 30, 2018
2029 of 2,562

This is strange. If I get a review, it's 5 stars, sure 60% of clients don't leave any feedback but I ask over and over again and I have no control over that -- I don't blame them, when you're busy the last thing youc are about is leaving feedback even when something did go well.

All UpWork supoprt can tell me is "it must be negative private feedback" so I guess I have to believe that everyone has a split personality, leaving 5 stars and then doing the opposite on the private feedback.

Another thing I'm still trying to grasp is the longevity of contracts, I have had a few that went on for months with only 5-10 hours logged monthly, I know that's a problem, again out of my control.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a strange system to try to navigate? In addition to the fact that it opens freelancers up to unreasonable demands sort of leverage against them "do more for me or else..."

Would love to know any strategies for at least getting a fair rating when there are uncontrollable factors like longstanding/low hour amount contracts, I guess you could say "don't take any longlasting low hourly contracts" right, ok, not everything is forseeable.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2030 of 2,562

Steven A wrote:

This is strange. If I get a review, it's 5 stars, sure 60% of clients don't leave any feedback but I ask over and over again and I have no control over that -- I don't blame them, when you're busy the last thing youc are about is leaving feedback even when something did go well.

All UpWork supoprt can tell me is "it must be negative private feedback" so I guess I have to believe that everyone has a split personality, leaving 5 stars and then doing the opposite on the private feedback.

Another thing I'm still trying to grasp is the longevity of contracts, I have had a few that went on for months with only 5-10 hours logged monthly, I know that's a problem, again out of my control.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a strange system to try to navigate? In addition to the fact that it opens freelancers up to unreasonable demands sort of leverage against them "do more for me or else..."

Would love to know any strategies for at least getting a fair rating when there are uncontrollable factors like longstanding/low hour amount contracts, I guess you could say "don't take any longlasting low hourly contracts" right, ok, not everything is forseeable.

You won't get much that's illuminating about JSS from the CS reps, they honestly don't know much about how it works. None of us understands it completely because it's a black box by design. First and foremost, it exists to give clients a way of sifting through the global marketplace of FLs that is UW. It is not built for FLs. That said, its impact on your life can be managed, to a large extent, by understanding some fundamentals.

I'm pretty sure the high percentage of "no feedback" contracts is hurting you. One or two, here and there, are not a problem but "a pattern" of such outcomes weighs against you. (No, we don't know exactly what constitutes a pattern.) To avoid these, let the client close the contract so they are required to leave fb. [Either party can close a contract and is required to leave fb when doing so. The other party is notified and invited to leave fb but not required. Once both parties have fb, it becomes visible to the other party. Or after 14 days, if the second party bails.] There's no urgency about closing a contract as long as money changed hands. An idle contract will not hurt your JSS unless you have a lot of them. Tidy up now and then by closing old, idle ones where the client has disappeared. But just close them one at a time, so they are interspersed with more recent closures with good fb.

Long-term, low-activity contracts are not necessarily problematic. I have an hourly one that's been active for 2+ years, that I bill <10 hrs/month. It has actually been a big help during periods when I was mostly working off the platform. It keeps me from having a 30-day stretch with no earnings. (If that happens, UW sets your profile to 'private' and you have to ask CS to switch it back.)

Private feedback is a key variable. It's human nature to avoid uncomfortable conversations. Clients will score you differently in public and in private. What is your 'clients who would recommend you' percentage? That is your best indicator of how private fb is running. BTW, that data point updates at different intervals than the JSS (which updates like clockwork every two weeks), intentionally to prevent FLs from linking a specific score change to a specific client. Sadly, there are many FLs who have no compunction about harassing clients about scores, which has led to the weird and imperfect system we have today.

As near as I can tell, it's optimal to have a mix of long-term and one-off contracts; and a mix of longtime and new clients. (The latter is Freelancing 101, here or anywhere else: eggs in several baskets.) Beyond that, each FL has to do their own arithmetic around setting their fees to allow for the expense associated with working here, while competing successfully for the business that best fits their practice.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS