Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
2441 of 4,807

AS I said, in this case I know 100% the private feedback was very positive - its a repeat customer who needs my work

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sarah C Member Since: May 12, 2019
2442 of 4,807

I finally received a JSS score today and it's not stellar. I've already perused the official UpWork tips for improving JSS, but I was wondering if anyone could take a look? Is it really just a numbers game? I only have 4 closed contracts, so will it improve significantly with a few more? Or is it going to be stuck like this for a while?

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
2443 of 4,807

Hi Amit and Sarah,

Job Success Scores takes into account a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. Please check this blog and this help article for more information about what affects your score and what you can do to improve it. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
2444 of 4,807

Translation: there is a whole bunch of stuff that we won't really explain to you that affects your score.  And don't ask us because we REALLY won't explain.  And this is stuff that is beyond express client satisfaction or express client dissatisfaction.  Just to be clear, we will pretend we care by "responding" to you here but the actual responses will make it clear this company really does not care, in case we weren't clear, but we will not state that because it makes us look bad so we will continue to give non-response "responses" in an effort to pretend we actually take your concnens into account when designing or modifying JSS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
2445 of 4,807

Sarah,
you've  finished only a few contracts, so  each one has a significant impact on your JSS.   So - 2 or 3 more with great private feedback will quickly get you back on track ;-)

Highlighted
Community Guru
2446 of 4,807

Here is an idea: let's try not to penalize less frequent users!

Highlighted
Community Guru
2447 of 4,807

Two weeks before it will change.  Because nothing tells freelancers that Upwork care like only allowing scores to update twice a month :-/

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2448 of 4,807

Sarah C wrote:

I finally received a JSS score today and it's not stellar. I've already perused the official UpWork tips for improving JSS, but I was wondering if anyone could take a look? Is it really just a numbers game? I only have 4 closed contracts, so will it improve significantly with a few more? Or is it going to be stuck like this for a while?

With so few completed contracts, each one weighs a lot. That means one less-than-perfect outcome can trip you up at this stage. It also means your score can be rehabilitated pretty quickly if you can manage to knock the next 3-4 contracts out of the park. Don't get discouraged. And don't obsess about it. The numbers are more important in the beginning than they will ever be again (unless you start screwing up right and left), but don't fall into the trap of fixating on it. For the most part, if you focus on finding great-fit jobs and exceeding clients' expectations, the JSS will take care of itself.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
2449 of 4,807

My latest experience with UW has me boiling and steaming. Because of one client's bad private rating, I dropped from 100% to 86%. During the last 2 week's 1 finished another job and got 5 stars and I know as a fact a great private rating. Yesterday was update time and my ranking didn't go up at all but stayed where it was at 86%. I have a total of 21 jobs over the last 2 years, not 2k so a new job finished and closed with great ranking has to make a difference.
I chatted with one of the useless support people who tried unsuccessfully to talk her way out of it saying well we view different aspects bla bla bla  . and then, of course, well its all done by computer .... fact remains, I should be back over 90% and am not and UPWorks sucks big time by all mathematics I should have 92% and not 86% trust me my words here are chosen carefully I will finish the jobs I'm working on and then UW can ................

Highlighted
Sharif Hossain S Member Since: Mar 6, 2019
2450 of 4,807
I had similar experience few years ago on UpWork. I never received feedback lower than 5-star except that one. The client gave me to write a health ebook and I delivered it with my best effort. Although the client seemed happy but he left a feedback with lower rating. I asked him why he put such a feedback and if i can do any further assistant to improve his experience. He told he is happy but he thinks 5-star feedback is something he doesnt usually give 😂. The UpWork support couldnt solve the dispute either.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS