Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2461 of 4,800

Michelle T wrote:

I don't think Upwork should allow clients to leave mismatched public and private feedback. If a client leaves a positive review publicly but gives a negative review in private, the client is basically being dishonest in one of the reviews. Who wants to work with a client who is being deceptive? Also, it doesn't help the freelancer to understand what happened, rectify a situation, and to possibly make changes in the future.

The feedback system is not meant as a training/improvement tool for FLs. It's designed for clients. A crucial aspect of professional freelancing is managing client expectations and perceptions without a third party system intervening. A formal feedback system is not available "out in the world" outside this platform.

Anyhow, before private feedback was instituted, clients were bombarded and harassed by FLs demanding that less-than-perfect feedback be "corrected". The current system is a response to that untenable situation.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2462 of 4,800

Michelle T wrote:

I don't think Upwork should allow clients to leave mismatched public and private feedback. If a client leaves a positive review publicly but gives a negative review in private, the client is basically being dishonest in one of the reviews. Who wants to work with a client who is being deceptive? Also, it doesn't help the freelancer to understand what happened, rectify a situation, and to possibly make changes in the future.

Yes, we should do away with public feedback so that there is no chance for deception. In the meantime, assume that if the client left you bad private feedback, they meant it and that they lied in the public feedback because they didn't want to have to deal with an unhappy freelancer. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Michelle T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
2463 of 4,800

The best tool we have in the freelancer-client relationship is communication. If a client is unhappy, they need to talk to the freelancer so the situation can be remedied. Many times I see freelancers who are surprised by bad private feedback because their client repeatedly told them that they were doing a good job and even left them a 5-star review. Leaving dishonest reviews on either side isn't creating a good work environment.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2464 of 4,800

Michelle T wrote:

The best tool we have in the freelancer-client relationship is communication. If a client is unhappy, they need to talk to the freelancer so the situation can be remedied. Many times I see freelancers who are surprised by bad private feedback because their client repeatedly told them that they were doing a good job and even left them a 5-star review. Leaving dishonest reviews on either side isn't creating a good work environment.

Yes, in an ideal world an unhappy client should talk to the FL. Also, everyone should return their shopping carts to the cart corral, nobody should squeeze every peach on display before selecting one (or none), people shouldn't text while driving, and most people should read more and spend less time on social media.

I agree the best tool we have is communication. But it's an immutable law of the universe that the onus is on the FL to manage communication, which includes hearing what a client says and what they don't say, and responding appropriately, e.g. probing to discover how a project might be falling short of expectations while there is still time to make adjustments to ensure success. Then fb is not a problem. Everybody gets blindsided once in a while, but trying to engineer the system to protect FLs from the consequences of not managing projects & clients effectively is not going to help anybody, in the long run.

Highlighted
Shushan J Member Since: Aug 29, 2018
2465 of 4,800

Hello,
My Job Success Score wasn't updated yesterday. It is stuck at 83% even though I completed two jobs with 5-star ratings. I would love the moderators to look into this issue. 

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
2466 of 4,800

Hi Shushan,

I checked your account and it looks like the calculation of your Job Success Score is accurate. Please note that not only public star rating but also private feedback, patterns of contracts without feedback and long-term relationships are included in JSS calculation and may cause the score to change. Job Success Score is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months window. When contracts are pushed out of this windows your JSS will be calculated on the contracts that are in these time frames.You can check the explanation of how JSS is calculated here.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
2467 of 4,800

This is the usual pre-written support answer and sorry, but it stinks. Let me give you an example. I do SEO work for a none English client who has a website that is riddled with English Grammar errors and sentences that simply make no sense whatsoever. He hired me for SEO and at the beginning of the job, I make him aware of the problems. I end up not just doing normal content SEO but basically re-write his whole site because the writing is so bad, many times I have to really try and figure out what he means and then re-write it to make sense. When the job is done he cannot complain about the job because the work was done without fail, but he is upset because of the cost. The job was advertised at 20 hours/week 3 months+ and I was hired at my rate as quoted. Now he is upset because others had quoted him 20 hours for the whole SEO job (I can only assume they did not read the site's content or were equally bad in English) which he never communicated to me. 

He then proceeds and gives me a 5-star rating since the job was done without fail but in his private rating, he complains bitterly about the cost even though he is happy with the job and with any realistic foundation, he should know that it takes time to do such a job with all the added tasks. 

Do I deserve a reduction in my score for that?  No one looks at the details, no one cares what actually happened, no one looks at the messages that were exchanged in short, no one cares if this "private" rating is deserved or not and I have no way of arguing my case.

You call this a "fair" system??

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
2468 of 4,800

Don't worry too much! Remember, that there are a lot of inhumane clients here too. I mean, really, literally inhumane. That means, that they are in fact robots. Some of those might serve as traps too, to send invitations with big words but no luck. Falling into those traps can be costly, or just expensive in the terms of time and resources spent to get out.

Highlighted
Community Leader
2469 of 4,800

The question one should ask is; "What are we paying UpWork for?" 

Like in my example case above, what do I get out of this job and what does the client get?

I get an undeserved negative private rating which causes my JSS to drop with no chance of arguing my case. I lose money because of the lower rating I will get fewer jobs.

The client gets what he paid for, a perfectly written website that is fully SEO optimized and much-improved search result positions which will lead to more business/money.

UpWork gets their substantial cut of my money - - Fact is, UpWork is burning good freelancers with this system and they just don't care, which in the long run will lead to UpWorks demise.

Highlighted
Community Leader
2470 of 4,800

I'm also quite confident that most clients don't know that the private rating has an effect on the freelancers' score 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS