cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Jemiscoe C Member Since: Nov 10, 2019
3031 of 5,618

Hi, John. Thanks! I was hoping it wasn't the open contracts, but I have no idea what else it could be. If my score can drop that much for no reason, what happens if it does it again? Then I won't be able to send out proposals that ask for 90% and above. Not to mention, clients might be more wary of hiring me over someone with a higher score. This makes no sense.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3032 of 5,618

Jemiscoe, JSS calculation is a well-guarded secret, so all one can do is underpromise and overdeliver, and hope the client recognizes you for it. The one silver lining is that you've completed relatively few jobs, so one or 2 rave reviews can give the JSS a nice boost. Also, it is possible to raise a JSS in the 90's all the way to 100, but I think serious clients for the most part understand that a few percent difference in JSS is insignificant.

Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3033 of 5,618

Jemiscoe C wrote:

Hi, John. Thanks! I was hoping it wasn't the open contracts, but I have no idea what else it could be.

There are (for all usual intents and purposes) 4 things that can make your JSS drop

1. Poor private feedback
  2. Contracts that close without any money having ever been paid, are cancelled without any money having ever been paid, or which have been fully refunded.
  3. Contracts that are open without any money having ever been paid for 2+ months
  4. The calculation window changing or good outcomes falling out of the calculation window, hence making the not-so-great outcomes in the calculation window weigh more heavily.

Jemiscoe C wrote:

If my score can drop that much for no reason...

The fact that you don't understand why it dropped does not mean there is no reason. There is a reason, even if you don't know it or disagree with said reason Smiley Wink

Highlighted
3034 of 5,618

Hi, Petra. Thank you for your response.

1. Wow. I didn't know that a client could leave us a 5-star rating, but leave negative private feedback that contradicts what they said publicly. I wonder if there is a way for us to see what was said.

2. I've never had this happen, and I hope I never will. 

3. I have also never encountered this, and again, I hope I never will.

4. It has been a while since I was given more positive feedback because lately, all newer jobs have decided to keep the contract going. I suppose this is great for repeat work, but not so great for my JSS score since I'm not getting more positive reviews.

Okay, thank you for this. It's good to know moving forward.

Best,

Jem

Highlighted
Lucinda J Member Since: Aug 19, 2019
3035 of 5,618

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me some feedback on this-

I’ve been working on Upwork just a few months now and I’ve maintained a JSS score of 100%. I recently looked on my profile and noticed it had dropped to 95%. 

I was wondering if I’m missing something or doing something wrong.

• I have completed 12 jobs-
  • received 5 stars and great feedback on 10 out of the 12.
  • The other two: one was a repeat client and left a 5 star rating but no written feedback. The other was a contract that I had successfully finished. The client was very happy with the results and I was paid but he never got back on upwork to close the contract. I left it open for over a month and closed it myself today.
  • 2 out of the 3 jobs that are still in progress are long term clients I do work for on a ongoing basis.
  • The 3rd ongoing job I completed the logo and sent the final files he responded and said he really like it just wanted one small change. He told me to give him a day and it’s been 7 days. So I’m not sure if this is the reason for the drop in my score. It doesn’t look like he paid for the 2 hours I logged in. Will that drop your rating? 

Also, On my stats page the “Clients who would recommend me” is 100%..

I’m just confused and want to make sure I’m doing everything like I’m supposed to be. I value upwork greatly and appreciate the opportunities it has given me. 

Thanks,

Cindi Johnson

Highlighted
3036 of 5,618

Hi Lucinda,

I'm dealing with almost the same exact thing, except mine dropped to 93%. I have nothing but 5-star ratings or open contracts. Someone else said that it could be that a past client has left us a negative private review. I'm not sure what else could be the cause of a drop in our JSS score. It shouldn't be your client who hasn't paid or responded because I think they have 14-days to do so, and I think that it wouldn't reflect your score unless it's been two months, so...I don't know. I wish I could offer you more than commiserating with you.

Best,

Jem~

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
3037 of 5,618

Jemiscoe C wrote:

Hi Lucinda,

I'm dealing with almost the same exact thing, except mine dropped to 93%. I have nothing but 5-star ratings or open contracts. Someone else said that it could be that a past client has left us a negative private review.

It needn't have been negative. I believe (but I'm not certain) that an 8 out of 10 private rating could explain your 93% JSS.

Anyway, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about it. Just continue doing the excellent work that you've been doing so far (judging by your feedback), and pray to the god Upwork-Algorithm, whose ways are mysterious and to whom we all bow.

Highlighted
3038 of 5,618

Thanks so much Richard!

Highlighted
3039 of 5,618

Well right after I posted this I went back and looked at my stats & my percentage of "clients that would recommend me" dropped to 91%. So it was negative feedback from a client that dropped my JSS. Not really sure what it was I did but I'm moving foward and working on getting my score back to 100%. A few things/tips I've learned through this process. 

I don't feel that our Job Success Scores are random or arbitrary. Upwork uses a specific algorithm to calculate every freelancer’s score. I know that doesn’t mean you can just “flip a switch” and improve your score overnight, but if I follow the right steps, I'm sure I can always improve my JSS fairly quickly— 

Also, as I was skimming through Upworks Freelancers I saw many of them with a 100% score who were barely scraping by. On the flipside, there were plenty of freelancers in the 70%, or even 60% range who are doing fine. Not that I want to have those percentages, just making a point. Futhermore, when clients are reviewing freelancers, they aren’t looking solely at Job Success Scores. Proposals, profile overview, and hourly rate are taken into account too. Even a score of 100% is only one small piece of information that makes up a much bigger picture. Upwork doesn’t make any functional distinction between freelancers with a Job Success Score of 90% to 100%. If you have a 90% or above, clients are considered to be “consistently HAPPY” with your work — and that’s enough to get you some pretty awesome perks, place you in Upwork’s pool of Top Rated freelancers, and get your profile seen by every client looking for a freelancer in your field. When clients search for freelancers, Upwork offers 3 options when filtering for Job Success Score: Any job success, 80% & up, and 90% & up. There’s no “95% & up” or “100% only” option, so as long as you’re at 90% or above, you will show up in every relevant search.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
3040 of 5,618

Lucinda J wrote:

Well right after I posted this I went back and looked at my stats & my percentage of "clients that would recommend me" dropped to 91%. So it was negative feedback from a client that dropped my JSS. Not really sure what it was I did but I'm moving foward and working on getting my score back to 100%. A few things/tips I've learned through this process. 

I feel like I'm in the minority but this continues to bug me. The private feedback, which can be as simple as two people just not having the same personality traits, has SUCH an impact. And I honestly don't even think clients have the slightest idea that what they think is a simple piece of feedback can have such an effect on our scores. Her score went from 100% to 91% because of one bad private feedback? And she doesn't know what she did wrong? Seems like a pretty weird way to do business.

At B&M job, that would be like if an employee suddenly got a decrease in their salary, because the boss was unhappy about something, but then didn't say what. So you have employees you're not happy with, but you can't expect them to get any better, because they don't know what they did wrong. Or even worse, they DIDN'T do anything wrong; the boss was actually just being unreasonable.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS