Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Lisa M Member Since: Nov 24, 2019
3101 of 5,754

Hi Phyllis,

If that is your assessment then why is the 80% bringing the 5 stars down to a 70%? I don't understand.

Lisa

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
3102 of 5,754
The person you really need help from is Petra.

Petra? Where’s Petra? Hello, can anyone hear me?
#FreePetra
Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3103 of 5,754

Mark F wrote:
The person you really need help from is Petra.

Petra? Where’s Petra? Hello, can anyone hear me?
#FreePetra

I don't think anybody would ever be foolish enough to lock Petra in. In my mind, she is tending her lemon trees in her garden. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
3104 of 5,754

Lisa M wrote:

Hi Phyllis,

If that is your assessment then why is the 80% bringing the 5 stars down to a 70%? I don't understand.

Lisa

It's not linear. And as I understand it, the public feedback (the stars that you see) weighs the least in the calculation, which also takes into account private fb, presence/percentage of repeat clients, long-term work, contracts with no fb, contracts with no pay, and the '% of clients who would recommend you' measure (which updates on a different cycle to prevent FLs from fingering clients who ding them on that metric).

It can be frustrating. But it is what it is -- something we have to manage to the extent we can, and shelter from when we can't, like the weather. For insights into how it works and how to manage it, this forum is the best resource. And going forward, if you decide to stick around (because once you have a profile and start earning, you've made no small investment in time and energy), come here before you take an action like closing a bunch of idle contracts. Also, don't ever rely on what CS tells you. Their frontline reps, especially, know little or nothing about managing the JSS. Seasoned UW FLs are your friends.

Highlighted
Lisa M Member Since: Nov 24, 2019
3105 of 5,754

Awesome, but at this point, how do I get new contracts with a 71% success score?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
3106 of 5,754

Lisa M wrote:

Awesome, but at this point, how do I get new contracts with a 71% success score?

I've had a similar experience on UW. I returned to the platform after a period of absence and did some cleaning up of my profile; which included closing some old accounts. Low and behold I found my JSS plummeted to the low-mid 70s. That's a lesson learned. 

To help fix it I found some smaller 'quick fix' jobs for a boost and I soon recovered. It was at that time that I won one of the best contracts I've ever had on the platform. A low JSS does not necessarily kill your chances. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
3107 of 5,754

Jamie F wrote:

Lisa M wrote:

I've had a similar experience on UW. I returned to the platform after a period of absence and did some cleaning up of my profile; which included closing some old accounts. Low and behold I found my JSS plummeted to the low-mid 70s. That's a lesson learned. 

To help fix it I found some smaller 'quick fix' jobs for a boost and I soon recovered. It was at that time that I won one of the best contracts I've ever had on the platform. A low JSS does not necessarily kill your chances. 

^This^!!!!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3108 of 5,754

Keep in mind Upwork's stated purpose for the JSS system. What is that purpose? To paraphrase:

"We desire a system that provides a broader spread of scores, so that clients can see that they are able to choose from among freelancers who have clearly lower or higher scores."

This may not provide solace to a freelancer whose JSS is lower than they would like it to be. But it is always helpful to know important facts about the system.

When some freelancers have a score of around 70 while other freelancers have higher scores, this is a demonstration that Upwork is achieving its goals with this program.

Note that providing complete transparency with regards to how JSS works has never been one of Upwork's goals.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3109 of 5,754

re: "don't ever rely on what CS tells you. Their frontline reps, especially, know little or nothing about managing the JSS."

This is an important point.

There is never any reason to contact Customer Support to ask about JSS.

Customer Support does not set our JSS.

They can not change our JSS. They can not "fix" our JSS.

Customer Support reps have little or no firsthand experience with JSS. They do not have access to special additional knowledge beyond what is available within the Forum.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
3110 of 5,754

Lisa M wrote:

This is garbage.

My success score went from nothing to 80% and now is down to 71%?????

I am attaching my feedback. I'm looking for alternatives to this platform. Unfortunately,

there are a lot of clients on here, but Upwork, you do not fairly calculate this job success

score and I'm tired of having it bring me down. I'm DONE.

Look at my feedback. There are some clients, VERY FEW, that gave no feedback even though

I contacted them via a message to ask them to and gave them feedback as well. This is TOTALLY

unfair and I have been with UPWORK since 2012, but I'm officially DONE. BYE.

LIsa

Lisa, I understand your frustration. We all want our JSS as close to 100 as possible. That said, I just hired a freelancer with an 83% JSS. I thoroughly read her profile, I interviewed her, I don't know why JSS is what it is but as long as the JSS, for me, is above 70-75, I would consider the applicant. I honestly don't think clients know very much what it means. And if they are doing due diligence, they will look at your feedback and seeing the stars and positive feedback would be more useful to them than something called JSS, which they don't really know what that means anyhow. 

That's just my take. I think you should stick it out. For me, when I hired, it was about the person's unique skillset. And I could see the one job that went wrong on her profile. No one is perfect. 

If leaving is your best choice, go for it. But I think you could still do very well here and your JSS will rise again. Just don't close so many contracts all at once  in the future. 

#freePetra

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS