Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3601 of 4,142

Evgeny G wrote:

My JSS is decreasing from 100 to 88, but nothing happens with my account. How I can fix it? I stopped using Upwork in July 2018 because I prefer to work at the office now. 

Your JSS only includes contracts that closed in the last 2 years. o you no longer have a 6 month, 12 month and 24 month window, the best of which makes up your JSS, you just have one 2 year window.

The only way to fix it is to complete contracts with great results.

Highlighted
Evgeny G Member Since: Apr 9, 2020
3602 of 4,142

Petra, thanks for the reply.
Is the opportunity to leave feedbacks for old contracts? I asked my client to do it, he is ready to leave feedback, but he says he can't find the button for leaving feedback

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lara T Member Since: Feb 24, 2020
3603 of 4,142

You may try going to the page of the job you work on for the client in your account and click on "Enable client to change feedback".

Highlighted
Lahiru U Member Since: Oct 7, 2018
3604 of 4,142

Hi there...!!! Please explain following more affect to the JSS negatively. 1. job in progress long time (because the client not responding) 2. End the project by the freelancer without having a feedback (because the client not responding)

Highlighted
Elias D Member Since: Sep 23, 2019
3605 of 4,142

I have 2 dormant contracts for over 2 weeks. Will it negatively affect my JSS? Please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Highlighted
Josie A Member Since: Apr 10, 2020
3606 of 4,142

Hello!

I'm mostly using this to highlight how frustrating it is that our Job Success Score is easily influenced by a few jobs lacking feedback. I would like to suggest that Upwork makes posting feedback to both Freelancers and Clients mandatory. 

I've only been using Upwork since the beginning of this year. My profile is still very much in the early stages of its growth. I am aiming to become 'Top Rated' by holding a JSS of over 90% for 13 weeks. This will allow me to have more control over my profile. 

However, I find myself struggling and having to remind clients to post feedback - even on jobs that were clearly successful. (Continuous work for instance or repeat projects). It's clear that for a lot of people, searching for freelancers on Upwork is not their main job/priority. Therefore, they either forget to log on or simply don't have time to worry about posting feedback on a random project that they paid someone $20.00 to do. I understand this. From the client's perspective, posting feedback on small projects might seem like a pain. But for freelancers just starting out, small projects are all we can find!

Plus, since we do not know exactly how our JSS score will be affected, I find myself 'pestering' clients, trying to remind them politely to post feedback.

I would like to suggest making 'posting feedback' mandatory in order to release payment or close a job. 

It could be a simple feature within the messaging app (desktop).

This would completely eliminate the need to remind clients. 

Any suggestions or advice from other freelancers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
3607 of 4,142

Josie A wrote:

Hello!

I'm mostly using this to highlight how frustrating it is that our Job Success Score is easily influenced by a few jobs lacking feedback.

That isn't true. A few jobs without feedback will not hurt your JSS score nor your chances of becoming top-rated (pestering your clients might, though). I would advise doing one follow-up with clients to ask if they need anything else and if not, to please close their jobs. Then leave it at that.

You do need $1,000 in earnings to become top-rated, though, so you might want to consider raising your rates if you want to get there faster.

Highlighted
3608 of 4,142

Reply for Christine A Smiley Happy

Thanks for your quick response! 

However, I do disagree in part to what you've said.

About a month ago I had a JSS of 100%, a number of jobs all with 5 stars and a few with no feedback. Overnight when it reset my JSS dropped to 87%. My score drastically assumed 'no feedback' meant the job was unsuccessful.

I quickly got in touch with my previous clients asking them to share their feedback. As a rule, I always ask if there's anything else that they need and then 'end the job' if there isn't. I also always leave feedback for my client. A few of them responded posting 5 stars. I then had to wait 2 weeks for my score to reset back to 100%.

So I disagree with what you said here 'A few jobs without feedback will not hurt your JSS score'. It will if your new and don't have many jobs to start with. Or jobs with high bids that will take most of the weight of the score. 

But I do agree that 'pestering' clients for feedback will definitely be a problem. Therefore, I prefer to message only once. And I understand you're saying 'give up' if they don't respond because we don't want to irritate a happy customer into giving bad feedback. But that's the problem I'm talking about. We shouldn't have to remind our clients. I have clients who have said 'sure I'll post feedback' and then they log off and forget. 

Surely this would be solved if it was just a mandatory part of releasing payment. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
3609 of 4,142

Josie A wrote:

Reply for Christine A Smiley Happy

Thanks for your quick response! 

However, I do disagree in part to what you've said.

About a month ago I had a JSS of 100%, a number of jobs all with 5 stars and a few with no feedback. Overnight when it reset my JSS dropped to 87%. My score drastically assumed 'no feedback' meant the job was unsuccessful.

I quickly got in touch with my previous clients asking them to share their feedback. As a rule, I always ask if there's anything else that they need and then 'end the job' if there isn't. I also always leave feedback for my client. A few of them responded posting 5 stars. I then had to wait 2 weeks for my score to reset back to 100%.

So I disagree with what you said here 'A few jobs without feedback will not hurt your JSS score'. It will if your new and don't have many jobs to start with. Or jobs with high bids that will take most of the weight of the score. 

But I do agree that 'pestering' clients for feedback will definitely be a problem. Therefore, I prefer to message only once. And I understand you're saying 'give up' if they don't respond because we don't want to irritate a happy customer into giving bad feedback. But that's the problem I'm talking about. We shouldn't have to remind our clients. I have clients who have said 'sure I'll post feedback' and then they log off and forget. 

Surely this would be solved if it was just a mandatory part of releasing payment. 

You're making false assumptions about what caused the drop in your rating. The public rating apparently doesn't count for much; clients can also leave a private rating that you never see, and that's what can cause a drop. Also, if you have any contracts with no payments (or you start working on something and then end up giving a client a full refund), that can cause your JSS to go down. 

And no, I don't agree that feedback should be required in order to release a payment. It's far more important for me to get paid than to get feedback.

Highlighted
3610 of 4,142

There could easily be a few other things that affected my score. However, the moment I got a few more jobs with five stars it bounced straight back up. I also contacted Upwork about this when it happened and they informed me that a lack of feedback does indeed affect my score. I'm not just guessing! 

Also 'contracts with no payments (or you start working on something and then end up giving a client a full refund' - I don't have any of these. All my jobs have been paid. And I haven't quit anything. 

Though, I was unaware that there was something called private feedback. I will look this up. 

However, I do disagree that making feedback mandatory would somehow stop clients from paying you. The client has to pay you if you do the work. That doesn't change just because they had to click a couple more times to give you a star. 

Also, my suggestion isn't 'feedback VS payment'. I'm not saying to prioritize one or the other. Plus making feedback mandatory doesn't have to be a part of the payment release if you'd be worried about that. Maybe it could be somewhere else. Or just a simpler feature in the messaging app or something.

At the end of the day, I want feedback in order to keep my score high so I get more jobs on Upwork and build up a strong profile on this site. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS