cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Martin H Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
4431 of 4,800

Any response on my post? Why did my JSS drop from 100% to 88% for two weeks and then back to 100%, while nothing on my profile changed? No new public or private ratings, no new jobs, no closed jobs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4432 of 4,800

Martin H wrote:

Any response on my post? Why did my JSS drop from 100% to 88% for two weeks and then back to 100%, while nothing on my profile changed? No new public or private ratings, no new jobs, no closed jobs.

Under "normal" circumstances (if there had really been a negative factor that affected your JSS in the 2 weeks prior to the previous update) it is completely impossible for your JSS to have returned to 100% with this latest update.

It can't be that a negative factor was introduced (especially with nothing happening, no inactive / nothing paid contracts and none closing) that caused the drop AND that negative factor not being in your calculation window anymore 14 days later.

The drop must have been a bug. There is simply no other rational way this can have happened.

Highlighted
Ariadni P Member Since: Nov 14, 2019
4433 of 4,800

Actually, this also happened to me a few months before.
I got my first JSS at 83% and after two weeks (without any contracts closed between the updates) it magically became 100%. At that time the "clients that would recommend you" metric was not showing yet, but when I got it, it was 100% too. Up to this day, I have no idea how this happened.

"

Highlighted
Raveena S Member Since: Jun 22, 2020
4434 of 4,800

This JSS system is really affecting me. I ended my successfully completed projects and my Ranking went down by 10 points; I stopped getting invites and I was not eligible to apply to so many jobs because I did not qualify the criteria set by Clients. After talking to Upwork staff twice, I thought my coming weeks and work might improve my Ranking. I got projects, I completed them and got 5-Star ratings with great feedbacks and I hoped that my ranking would improve. But it did not happen!!!!

On the contrary it went down by 1 point. From being a Rising Talent and 93% Ranking, I am down to 82%.

This is really affecting me; both professionally and emotionally. I have never ever got any negative comments throughout my life and now this JSS score is affecting me like hell.

Upwork staff is not willing to tell about the private feedback that affected my score. The only reason I could come up was that I ended up the contracts (that were successfully submitted) and did not wait for the client feedback.

there was one client who stated something else and as soon as the contract started, asked for something else; so I asked him to end the contract; only if...only if I had ended with true comments. I did not want to hamper anybody's status. And this is what I get in return. 

Another project, I refunded the money because after the payment, the client said that he expected more but my work was OK. And I did not want to take undue money if the client did not get what he expected. I respected his truthfulness and refunded the money. I don't know if that affected? Now, that client is repeating me for another project.

So how does this ranking system work????

Upwork has really affected me a lot, seriously both professionally and emotionally. I really feel like quitting Upwork, but I need money also since I can't go out and work.

I just feel like crying, why did I choose Upwork???

If someone were to ask me about Upwork, I would never positively recommend. Earlier I did that to so many people. I will definitely state my situation and ranking system and let people decide. This is the level that Upwork has affected me.

I was really happy and proud of my status earlier...ah! this is something I do not have to worry about....

And now....

I thought of not affecting people's status and provide the work to client's satisfaction and that is why refunded also as I felt that the client was not fully satisfied....and this is what I get?????

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4435 of 4,800

Raveena S wrote:

The only reason I could come up was that I ended up the contracts (that were successfully submitted) and did not wait for the client feedback.

But you only have one contract that ended without feedback and that can't have affected you in any way, unless you closed contracts that had no earnings at all, and therefor don't show on your profile. Such 0 paid contracts do affect your JSS negatively.

Raveena S wrote:

there was one client who stated something else and as soon as the contract started, asked for something else; so I asked him to end the contract; only if...only if I had ended with true comments.

If that's a $ 0 paid contract then yes, that affects your JSS.

Raveena S wrote:

Another project, I refunded the money because after the payment, the client said that he expected more but my work was OK. And I did not want to take undue money if the client did not get what he expected. I respected his truthfulness and refunded the money. I don't know if that affected?

So that's a client who wasn't satisfied, and a "$ 0 paid contract", right? Clients leave private feedback even if you refund.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Karolis S Member Since: Jun 11, 2019
4436 of 4,800

So I've got demoted from top rated at 93% to 87%. I believe due to having an open ''ongoing/job in progress'' project. While in reality I've received all agreed sum for the project and I've completed it successfully, it was the biggest contract I had. Client had no real incentive to formally end the contract so he left it hanging.

In my opinion system is clearly flawed, especially if you are just starting out and project count is in lower numbers (as that will heavily impact your score), in some cases blame is put on freelancers regardless if they did something wrong or not.

Also what is up with the secrecy in the first place for ''private feedback'', does upwork thinks that freelancers will start harassing clients? (in my personal case,I could easily guess which client left poor ''private'' review as I don't work on more than 1 or 2 projects at a time and it takes more than a week to complete average project)  Why do you need fake facade of 5 star reviews while still end up with less than 100% score? In my case I have all projects at 5 starts except for 1 at 4.6 (worth 80$) with 87% JSS.  Leads to more confusion on both sides. 

Upwork could release JSS calculator so freelancers could calculate to what extent 1 review or another or lack of one would impact their JSS. Or is it KFC secret recipe... And instead of posting marketing garbage how freelancing and remote working is the future should actually do something about making it more stable, freelancing is hard as it is, no need to make it harder. Maybe implement transition time for JSS. For example ''in two weeks your JSS will drop to 84% or something'' so people can actually do something about it, find new projects and prepare for it. Instead of waiting 2 weeks to see what borderline random JSS number you will get and reduce your opportunity by ''50%'' is what I recall they said if you are top rated in less than a day

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
4437 of 4,800

Karolis S wrote:

So I've got demoted from top rated at 93% to 87%. I believe due to having an open ''ongoing/job in progress'' project. 

That's not what affected you, unless it's been open for more than two months and the client hasn't paid you anything.

Also what is up with the secrecy in the first place for ''private feedback'', does upwork thinks that freelancers will start harassing clients?

Yes, because that's exactly what happens, and why private feedback is necessary so that clients can give their honest opinion.

Upwork could release JSS calculator so freelancers could calculate to what extent 1 review or another or lack of one would impact their JSS. Or is it KFC secret recipe... And instead of posting marketing garbage how freelancing and remote working is the future should actually do something about making it more stable, freelancing is hard as it is, no need to make it harder. Maybe implement transition time for JSS. For example ''in two weeks your JSS will drop to 84% or something'' so people can actually do something about it, find new projects and prepare for it. Instead of waiting 2 weeks to see what borderline random JSS number you will get and reduce your opportunity by ''50%'' is what I recall they said if you are top rated in less than a day

Where did you hear that? Plenty of freelancers have made comebacks from low JSS scores. It's only one factor that clients consider, along with the strength of your proposal, your qualifications, your portfolio, your other feedback reviews, etc. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Karolis S Member Since: Jun 11, 2019
4438 of 4,800

Didn't say anything about comeback from low JSS. What I said is that system is flawed, can be manipulated and needs improvements and I came up with basic suggestions, for example give freelancers some time to adapt to potential changes in their JSS. Absolute majority of projects require 90% JSS and clients for the most part don't even bother looking at most applications. Upwork pretty much claims that top rated (or 90%+ JSS) increases chances to ''win'' by 50%. 

Big % of clients don't know how the system runs and they don't need to know. All what they care about is how to post a job, how payments work and thats pretty much it, unless there is a dispute. Droping JSS scores left, right and center without any warning negatively affects freelancers and to some extent clients who are looking for freelancers.

Now I am sitting with my flawless 5 star rating across the board, clueless, trying to figure out what went wrong, how on planet i ended up with 87% JSS and getting 0 answers. Because it's private ratings. I had 0 arguments with my clients and tried to go extra mile where possible. 

Here's another big brain suggestion. How about upwork every month or 3 months or whenever send me over private review report with average rating (not stating clients names, just an average score). What services were good or lacking.For example qulaity 10/10, deadlines 8/10, communcitaion 9/10 etc... 

Highlighted
Walid H Member Since: Oct 26, 2017
4439 of 4,800

Thank you, Karolis. Thanks for sharing your experience. You can see Petra's comments for another person that "The drop must have been a bug. There is simply no other rational way this can have happened."  So It can be a bug but we never know which one is an actual bug.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
4440 of 4,800

Raveena S wrote:

Another project, I refunded the money because after the payment, the client said that he expected more but my work was OK. And I did not want to take undue money if the client did not get what he expected. I respected his truthfulness and refunded the money. I don't know if that affected? Now, that client is repeating me for another project.

One reason for a freelancer's score to decline is that they don't manage clients very well. You worked with a client who said that your work was merely "OK", so you gave them a full refund. And then you agreed to work with them again. Why would you do that? I can't imagine why a client would give a repeat project to a freelancer if he was unhappy with the first project, so it's entirely possible that this client is taking advantage of you in order to get more free work. If you end up with another fully refunded project, your JSS will go down even further.

If a project doesn't go well but a client wants to work with you again, my recommendation is to politely tell them that you're not available.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS