cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

JSS

Highlighted
Active Member
Andrei V Member Since: Aug 3, 2020
4791 of 5,249

There are 3 which are open from the end of May (COVID has hit the construction industry hard and they've gotten benched) and 2 which are from June (1 one of them will be closed next week at the latest, the other one will have milestone completed around the same time).

 

From those 3, 2 are in the air and 1 will be milestone completed this month.

 

So that would leave me, worst-case scenario with 2 open. Having said that, would my JSS improve if I reduce this number to 2 contracts (started at end of May, there is a chance 1 will be closed, but I'm not sure about it)?

 

Thank you for the help!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4792 of 5,249

Andrei V wrote:

There are 3 which are open from the end of May (COVID has hit the construction industry hard and they've gotten benched) and 2 which are from June (1 one of them will be closed next week at the latest, the other one will have milestone completed around the same time).

 

From those 3, 2 are in the air and 1 will be milestone completed this month.

 

So that would leave me, worst-case scenario with 2 open. Having said that, would my JSS improve if I reduce this number to 2 contracts (started at end of May, there is a chance 1 will be closed, but I'm not sure about it)?


You need money from those contracts. Currently, anything that is 2+ months old and nothing has been paid ever at all is hurting. There is no way around it, and closing them doesn't help. They hurt your JSS open or closed.

 

As far as the "dead in the water" contracts are concerned:

 

If they are fixed rate contracts, submit for payment of $ 1.00 (edit the amount to $ 1.00)

If they are hourly, log 10 minutes of time 

 

(after discussing it with the clients, of course!)


That will immediately render them harmless as far as the JSS is concerned.

Highlighted
Active Member
Andrei V Member Since: Aug 3, 2020
4793 of 5,249

Thank you! Sorry, when I say closed, I mean with money earned, not just closed. Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely use it in the future.

 

So I would have money coming on to certain degrees on all but 2 of these open contracts.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4794 of 5,249

Andrei V wrote:

So I would have money coming on to certain degrees on all but 2 of these open contracts.


Well, you need money on those too. 

Highlighted
Active Member
Luca S Member Since: Apr 29, 2020
4795 of 5,249

Good evening,

I'm having a similar problem like the Andrei one, I've already contacted the assistance but now I've found that thread and I would like to share it.

A couple of weeks ago I had:

- 4 completed jobs with 5 star rates.

- 4 open jobs, with payment received and job already completed (all I needed was the client closing it).

 

I've lost my Rising Talent status, and the JSS was 85%, not enough to apply to the majority of translation projects, that often requires a 90% score.

So, I asked why it was only 85% even with the 5 stars feedbacks, and I was told that the open jobs were affecting my rate.

I've contacted the clients again, had to close a couple of contracts by myself cause they were too busy or unresponsive, and the new situation was:

- 5 completed jobs with 5 star rates.

- 2 completed jobs with no feedback (busy or unresponsive)

- 1 open job, with payment received and job already completed

 

Last weekend, JSS was recalculated, and to my surprise, my rate has dropped to 84% instead than increase. And now I'm said that the lack of feedbacks could be the problem.

If that's the result, it was better for me to leave those contracts open and wait for the client (without disturbing them).

Why I was told to close them if that wasn't really the main problem?

 

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4796 of 5,249

Luca S wrote:

 

Last weekend, JSS was recalculated, and to my surprise, my rate has dropped to 84% instead than increase. And now I'm said that the lack of feedbacks could be the problem.

If that's the result, it was better for me to leave those contracts open and wait for the client (without disturbing them).

Why I was told to close them if that wasn't really the main problem?


Chances are the open contracts had nothing to do with it, nor did the "no feedback" contracts. Your issue is NOT similar to Andreii's, because he had not been PAID anything under those idle contracts.

 


Luca S wrote:

I've lost my Rising Talent status, and the JSS was 85%, not enough to apply to the majority of translation projects, that often requires a 90% score.e.


Not true. You can still apply. It's a preference, not a requirement.

Almost invariably your JSS goes down for one of 2 reasons only

 

  1. less than perfect private feedback.
  2. contracts with nothing ever paid.
Highlighted
Active Member
Luca S Member Since: Apr 29, 2020
4797 of 5,249

Thanks for the reply Petra,

you're right, situations were probably not that similar, but what's similar is probably the confusion that there's around that score, considering how much freelancers ask for that and that your answers actually negate the ones given by the assistance.

 

- Why they suggest that open contracts are an issue if that's not true (leading the freelancer to disturb the client or maybe close the contract as I've done, and now I regret?)

- Why they suggest that the lack of feedback is another factor?

(the online guide suggest the same, btw ---> image of JSS  )

 

I've no unpaid contracts, so the only reason left could be only the private feedback for what you wrote. That leads to another problem: my feedbacks are all 5 stars, and I'm not aware of any client having problems with me, at least in our chats. So:

- how can we improve if we don't even know what's the issue?

- maybe it was a misunderstanding, but we couldn't correct that.

- maybe it was just an error on the private feedback of the client, but it's secret, so we have to accept the decrease in the Score without even know why..

 

And you're right, a lower than 90% rate doesn't prevent us to apply, but you know better than me that for every job there's a high competition, so a missed preference is almost a "death sentence". We're only wasting paid connects if we apply to those, and as a matter of fact, since the % problem I was not awarded any job, while until I was still a Rising talent I was in a great groove.

 

There're 480 pages in that thread. I think that such a high number of question/doubts clearly show that something isn't really working right with that system, or that is confusing at least (for everyone, assistance included)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Leonardo F Member Since: Mar 30, 2020
4798 of 5,249

Luca S wrote:

Thanks for the reply Petra,

you're right, situations were probably not that similar, but what's similar is probably the confusion that there's around that score, considering how much freelancers ask for that and that your answers actually negate the ones given by the assistance.

 

- Why they suggest that open contracts are an issue if that's not true (leading the freelancer to disturb the client or maybe close the contract as I've done, and now I regret?)

- Why they suggest that the lack of feedback is another factor?

(the online guide suggest the same, btw ---> image of JSS  )

 

I've no unpaid contracts, so the only reason left could be only the private feedback for what you wrote. That leads to another problem: my feedbacks are all 5 stars, and I'm not aware of any client having problems with me, at least in our chats. So:

- how can we improve if we don't even know what's the issue?

- maybe it was a misunderstanding, but we couldn't correct that.

- maybe it was just an error on the private feedback of the client, but it's secret, so we have to accept the decrease in the Score without even know why..

 

And you're right, a lower than 90% rate doesn't prevent us to apply, but you know better than me that for every job there's a high competition, so a missed preference is almost a "death sentence". We're only wasting paid connects if we apply to those, and as a matter of fact, since the % problem I was not awarded any job, while until I was still a Rising talent I was in a great groove.

 

There're 480 pages in that thread. I think that such a high number of question/doubts clearly show that something isn't really working right with that system, or that is confusing at least (for everyone, assistance included)


I have a very similar problem. 

You can read my complete question and Petra answer on page 478;

 

My JSS downed from 95 to 90 without any reason... I think that your answer is perfect and represents my frustration too; 

 

Since Sunday I didn't receive invites(as it was happening frequently) and don't get any match proposal to jobs.

 

How can I ask to a review on my JSS? The "algorithm" is a Machine Learning model? If an ML model doesn't have feedbacks it will ever do the same mistakes, and I'm sure that it is an error in my case and in the Luca S case too;

Highlighted
Active Member
Luca S Member Since: Apr 29, 2020
4799 of 5,249

I would like to receive some explanations about the doubts that I (and Leonardo F.) have shared, because I think that those questions are important for everyone, assistance included, that has to carry the weight of all the doubts and confusion that the Score creates.

A lot of us put an enormous effort in order to offer a top quality service to all clients for months, and then we risk to lose all the good job done only because that JSS includes something that we can't really control. Just an (unwanted) error on the private feedback by the client could make the score drop and leave you in a less than ideal situation.

 

 

Back to my personal situation:

Petra, if I've closed two contracts of unresponsive clients, and I assume that they haven't added a private negative feedback if they were inactive, how is possible that the score has decreased from 85% to 84%?
Assuming, as you previously , that  "Almost invariably your JSS goes down for one of 2 reasons only

 

  1. less than perfect private feedback.
  2. contracts with nothing ever paid."
 
That's the question pending still.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Leonardo F Member Since: Mar 30, 2020
4800 of 5,249

Luca S wrote:

I would like to receive some explanations about the doubts that I (and Leonardo F.) have shared, because I think that those questions are important for everyone, assistance included, that has to carry the weight of all the doubts and confusion that the Score creates.

A lot of us put an enormous effort in order to offer a top quality service to all clients for months, and then we risk to lose all the good job done only because that JSS includes something that we can't really control. Just an (unwanted) error on the private feedback by the client could make the score drop and leave you in a less than ideal situation.

 

 

Back to my personal situation:

Petra, if I've closed two contracts of unresponsive clients, and I assume that they haven't added a private negative feedback if they were inactive, how is possible that the score has decreased from 85% to 84%?
Assuming, as you previously , that  "Almost invariably your JSS goes down for one of 2 reasons only

 

  1. less than perfect private feedback.
  2. contracts with nothing ever paid."
 
That's the question pending still.

Why no one answer these simple and pertinent questions? 

 

Also, what Petra means by "perfect private feedback", how it will be determined, and who will determine it?

 

It's based on the 0 to 10 values that we need to select or it's based on the written review?

 

My JSS dropped 5% totally without reason and after almost one week, I keep receiving generalist answers by the community gurus and moderators, without a reasonable answer;

 

@Petra, @Robin and other community guys, could you give us an answer about it?

 

PS: I'm not an English native, so sorry for any English mistakes.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS