Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Community Leader
Abderrazzak B Member Since: Mar 23, 2017
41 of 5,529

Sorry to hear that Sergii

But, there's a Public Feedback and a Private Feedback, and I think your Client Liz didn't rate you well on the Private one, which coun't more than the Public one in the calculation of the JSS as I heared (or saw...)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
42 of 5,529

Here's a tip-- Harassing your clients about the feedback they leave you isn't a good way to keep clients. Read the thousands of other posts about JSS calculations. No one will be telling you why yours dropped. 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
43 of 5,529

Hi Sergii,

I'm sorry to hear about your Job Success Score, please note that the score is based on the contracts you've completed so far and feedback you received, both public and private. This includes contracts closed without any money paid. Also, inactive contract can start affecting your score negatively after a certain time frame. Please check this Help article for more information.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Scott D Member Since: Aug 6, 2015
44 of 5,529

Having an open job on UpWork should not effect your score!

1. How does UpWork what is actually going on with the client and freelancer?

2. Clients don't want to start a whole new project to work with the same client, it take time. 

3. Ongoing clients should have a separate area in your "job section" where a client can just click and ask you if you want to start a new project with them. 

- The already like you

- They like your rate

- They like your work

So why should a client start from the beginning.

Secondly,

If a client does not close a project and the freelancer take the lead to close the project the it should not effect the freelancers score. Freelance is just giving the client a nudge. Asking a client to close a job and leave feedback is begging. 

So if a freelancers closes a project, why can't you have the same thing happen where the client cannot get out of the feedback window. I ASK YOU WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT THIS?

Thank you Product Team for seriously look into this ASAP

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
45 of 5,529

Thank you for sharing this, Scott.

I would just like to clarify that having an open active job on the platform affects your score positively. However, open jobs that do not have any recent activity may affect your score negatively. Do note that the system looks at trends over the past six-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. The highest score of these moving windows is picked out as your Job Success Score. 

Closing projects does not negatively impact your score. Doing this allows both freelancers and clients to provide both private and public feedback. Both you and the client have a 14-day window to provide a review. If the 14-day feedback period expires before your client is able to add comments or feedback, you can go to the contract and click on "Enable Client to Change Feedback." Your client will be notified once the option to leave feedback is available.

Many veteran freelancers here on the platform close projects themselves and ask for feedback from the client. In my opinion, it just boils down to how you would communicate it to your client. You can ask for other freelancers and client's here in the community on how you can do this without sounding like you're begging for a review. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Michael S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
46 of 5,529

Avery, I'm chiming in on the topic for the same reasons as others who have posted.  I noted a sudden and significant drop from 98% (was 100% just a few months ago) to 91% today.  I'm guessing it is, in large measure, the result of 3 open inactive contracts.

The fact that Upwork "pauses" them never really troubled me.  But to discover Upwork then penalizes the contractor after a time fails to take into account that very project could be ongoing and over an extended period of time.  Simply stated, the client has action items to undertake or complete before reverting back to me. This has been the case over my time on Upwork and I don't recall it having a significant impact on my Job Success score before.  

Regardless, under duress, I've asked 3 clients with open inactive contracts to close them on the basis of its impact on my Job Success score.   I made it clear that it is only one factor in the score but felt the impact could be contributive and asked for their understanding to close it out.  Told them I'm always available to reengage at the then prevailing rate I was charging.  

I also sense there's been a change in the algorithm within the last 60-90 days and the penalty score raised.  

Can you confirm? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
47 of 5,529

@Scott DS Y wrote:

Having an open job on UpWork should not effect your score!

1. How does UpWork what is actually going on with the client and freelancer?

2. Clients don't want to start a whole new project to work with the same client, it take time. 

3. Ongoing clients should have a separate area in your "job section" where a client can just click and ask you if you want to start a new project with them. 

- The already like you

- They like your rate

- They like your work

So why should a client start from the beginning.

No reason at all. Instead, they should visit your profile, click "hire" and make you an offer--pretty much exactly what you describe above.

Highlighted
Laura-Ann B Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
48 of 5,529

Hi Vladimir, I have a similar problem with a success score that's mysteriously dropped by 8%. I can't see a tab to chat with an agent either, could you help me with this? I'd like to know exactly why my score has dropped.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
49 of 5,529

@Laura-Ann B wrote:

Hi Vladimir, I have a similar problem with a success score that's mysteriously dropped by 8%. I can't see a tab to chat with an agent either, could you help me with this? I'd like to know exactly why my score has dropped.

Support will not tell you exactly why.

It looks like you have one or more contracts that have been inactive for a long time. After months of inactivity they count against you, so try to get the clients to close them, if that fails, close them yourself, one by one, as a higher percentage of no-feedback contracts also hurt your JSS.

It is wise to get clients to close contracts when the work is done, they can rehire you as easily as unpausing a paused contract, so there is no advantage in keeping inactive contracts in a coma, at all.

Highlighted
Laura-Ann B Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
50 of 5,529

Hi there, I've closed one contract that's been paused for many months. I have two contracts that were paused the other day but these are relatively new clients and I know they'll be getting back to me shortly, I don't want to bother them. Do you think the closed contract will raise my score again?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS