🐈 Community
emmac6248

JSS

**Update: This thread has been closed for new replies**

I would like to understand why  Upwork don't look at clients who don't leave feedback.  Some clients are one-off users, others are too busy to leave feedback and some just don't understand how to do it.  I have long-standing contracts that never received feedback, yet the messages show how happy the client  was.  I have other clients who were first time users and had work complete - were happy (again, said so) but didn't leave feedback. Then there are the users who just never leave feedback - for anyone!  I have flagged and flagged this but the help team just keep repeating the same thread (obviously a template).  I think that clients notorious for not leaving feedback should be taken into account and if a freelancer requests feedback - they should not be penalised for no feedback left.  I also think Upwork should look at those contracts and make their own decisions.  Am so fed up with this system that I've shifted some stuff over to another website, some clients are now private and I'm trying my best to move a load of other clients.  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

We are closing this thread from new replies because it has grown too large and with recent changes some information here is now outdated.

Here are the links to most recent changes in how JSS is calculated:

No feedback contracts no longer impacting JSS

Job size being factored into JSS 

For general information about how Job Success Score is calculated, please see this help article. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,753 REPLIES 5,753

Shazma R wrote:

-As you called 76 a bad JSS so what's the good JSS on average for Upwork to list me in suggestions to clients

90% or better

Shazma R wrote:

-What is the good % for the "Clients who would recommend you" section? 

90% or better

You need to choose your clients more carefully and also try not to overpromise and underdeliver,

The fact that you keep being marked down for quality indicates that you are promising more than you can deliver. 

There is one client who left 2.4-star rating that has impacted my rating badly. If i refund him the paid amount will it improve my rating? Do i need to ask him to improve the feedback or it will simply disappear from my profile?

There was a miscommunication with the client and i didn't argue further with him thinking the damage is done and he has already ended the contract. 

Shazma R wrote:

There is one client who left 2.4-star rating that has impacted my rating badly.

That is not the only contract that has impacted your JSS.

Shazma R wrote:

If i refund him the paid amount will it improve my rating?

No, it will not. It will only remove the visible feedback from your profile.

websitefast

Hello

My clients who recommend me % score yesterday was at 92% and today it dropped to 87% due to one client and I am pretty sure it was him. The other 2 reviews before him my stats remained as is.

He gave me a 4.45/5 public feedback which I think is not bad but I am pretty sure he demolished me in the private feedback. My concern is since it went from 92% to 87 with just this one review , how will this affect my JSS when it updates this sunday...currently JSS is at 97%. Since the last update I have done 4 jobs with perfect 5/5 and this one with a 4.45

Much thanks...hoping my JSS does not go to 80% just because of his private feedback!

Zaki S wrote:

Much thanks...hoping my JSS does not go to 80% just because of his private feedback!

Nooooo, that's not going to happen.

See what damage it does do (I doubt it'll be severe) and use your feedback removal perk if it is more than you like (provided you have not used it during the lat 10 jobs and 3 months.

It is possible that this contract alone didn't do the damage to your private feedback percentage. It does not (!!) update after every job, so it includes the private feedback from several (exact number unknown, widely guess to be between 3 and 5) contracts.

omarif1

Hello everyone,

I would like to confirm if refunding the full amount hurt my JSS calculations?

The client awarded me the offer and I completed the job, he was very happy with the final product and closed the contract with 5 stars rating and great feedback. But within a few mins, he realizes that he paid with the wrong credit card and asked for a full refund and I refunded him the full amount.

So, my question is if the contract closed on good terms I mean 5 stars rating and good private rating does it still hurt the JSS? please confirm.

Mohammed Omar A wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would like to confirm if refunding the full amount hurt my JSS calculations?

So, my question is if the contract closed on good terms I mean 5 stars rating and good private rating does it still hurt the JSS? please confirm.

The client obviously still has to pay you for the contract so have your client change the primary payment method to the right credit card and then pay you a bonus on the closed contract of the agreed amount using the right credit card.

This way the contract is not affected in any way.

Well, he already paid me by awarding me the new job and paid with the right payment method.

The old contract is closed with a full refund and with positive feedback. So, please confirm does it still hurt my JSS calculation?

Mohammed Omar A wrote:

The old contract is closed with a full refund and with positive feedback. So, please confirm does it still hurt my JSS calculation?

When I had a similar situation it did not hurt my JSS. If it does, get the client to pay you a $ 1 bonus on the closed account and it will stop it counting as a contract without payment. JSS updated on Sunday, so you'll see then.

Alright, thank you so much Petra, I will try to contact the client again.

i am very sorry to tell you refund process have bad effect on jss , i was experienced with this before 

Ahmed M wrote:

i am very sorry to tell you refund process have bad effect on jss , i was experienced with this before 

A refund, by itself, has absolutely no effect on the JSS in any way, shape, or form. 

If a freelancer refunds a contract in full, that creates a "nothing ever paid" contract. Nothing ever paid contracts are bad for the JSS. Also, more often than not, refunds happen because a client was unhappy. Unhappy clients often leave poor feedback (public and / or private) Poor feedback is very bad for the JSS.

ellennaa

Why is my job success score so low? JSS - 75%; clients who would recommend you - 100%.
Why?

Hi Olena,

Please allow more time for the JSS to update and to reflect on your account.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar, quick question. The next JSS update (the one in two weeks) will take into account dollar amounts, right?

Hi Varun,

Thanks for the question. The update for JSS metrics will take effect in March.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I just got in my first JSS, pretty disappointed here! 70%. Surely will hurt my chances of getting new jobs. I fell there were no issues with clients and the quality of the material delivered was very good. Some clients didn´t leave any comments but reviewed and released funds fast.
Wonder what I am doing wrong...any insights?
Thank you, people!

Thank you, Aleksandar!

I have one contact without any earnings. It made my JSS lower. But client left good private feedback.
We'll have JSS updates in March 2020. Does it affect to my JSS?

I spent a good amount of time away from this platform and somehow stayed on Top Rated status most the time. I got fed up with the insanity. Now working here regularly again my score is plummeting. I mistakenly took a job for a common Upwork farmer a couple weeks back and it was a nightmare experience. I did the usual behind kissing and blaming it all on yours truly. At the end the client made it abundantly clear he was giving me 5 stars. Of course that wasn’t the private feedback as I’ve dipped into the 70%s. I already knew he was going to give bad private feedback as he clearly had issues with losing a personal servant. I have worked here since Elance (despite my profile saying otherwise) and never had such a score.

I know the JSS is a constant source of complaints but how can this place allow such BS gaming of the system? You see a client give 5 starts publicly and a low score privately... how is that not a red flag? How many workers need to be burned to the ground until something is done?

And of course this will change nothing. Just more of my time wasted on gig economy nonsense.
anum-shezadi

Hello...!

Any body tell me that  my profile JSS shows 82% but according to my Stats the JSS is 86% and one more thing i have no project ended last two week how JSS became downgrade 4%. I attached the screenshot of my stats which is updated today.

I don't know what the formula is used for the calculation.

Thank you

Hi Anum,

Please read this post: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358

I hope this will clarify the question.

Joynul

Hi Joynul..

Thanks for your response but i read the whole story of this post before.

That is not the right anwer to refer this post.

Thanks

Luce told a very true...

Try not to give it too much thought or YOU would go crazy!

Joynul

Not that you asked, but it seems like an easy boost to your JSS is to be mindful of your communications and manage client expectations of when you can deliver. Your deadline and availability scores have been less than stellar on more than one project.

The JSS on the profile and on the stats do not update simultaneously. One updates first, but I don't remember which.

Maybe you have some inactive contract or contracts. This is supposed to affect your JSS after a while.

No one knows the formula used for the calculation. It's just part of the fun. We are judged without knowing why. Try not to give it too much thought or YOU would go crazy!

Hi Luce...

Thanks for your suggestion but sometimes it become crazy for the freelancer when they saw sudden drop of JSS without any reason.

Anum S wrote:

Hi Luce...

Thanks for your suggestion but sometimes it become crazy for the freelancer when they saw sudden drop of JSS without any reason.

You got knocked hard on deadlines on your last job. Wouldn't it make sense that it's the reason instead of NO REASON?

Hi Jennifer...

But last project has been closed before last two weeks....!

Anum S wrote:

Hi Jennifer...

But last project has been closed before last two weeks....!

Right, and you had 2 probably 10 feedback scores drop out this month from your 6 month calculation.

Anum S wrote:

Hi Luce...

Even if you had no new jobs, no old jobs closed, so if you think that nothing has happened in 2 weeks, something did happen: time. When 2 weeks pass, the JSS calculation window changes by 2 weeks. Good results drop out, bad results drop out. 

Anum S wrote:

Hi Luce...

I know, Anum... It's very frustrating. I just hate this JSS game. It's made to drive freelancer nuts!

stevan100wpm

I wonder why my JSS dropped from 94% to 91% when I had great results in the last two weeks? Can you explain this to me? I did two jobs where I got 5 stars and great feedback, I even got a bonus on one job and was paid double the amount agreed because of my performance on the project. Please explain this to me and resolve if possible as i am very disappointed in your system. I was expecting an increase in JSS this week, not a decrease. Thanks in advance

Stevan S wrote:

I wonder why my JSS dropped from 94% to 91% when I had great results in the last two weeks? Can you explain this to me? I did two jobs where I got 5 stars and great feedback, I even got a bonus on one job and was paid double the amount agreed because of my performance on the project.

You likely got less than stellar private feedback on one of your contracts, or you have a contract which either ended with no payment or has been open for months with nothing ever paid yet.

I have no open inactive contract, I am aware that it affects the JSS. I don't know why someone would give me 5 stars and leave me a great feedback with the best compliments and give a bad rating in private feedback.

Stevan S wrote:
I have no open inactive contract, I am aware that it affects the JSS. 

Only if nothing was ever paid.

Stevan S wrote:
 I don't know why someone would give me 5 stars and leave me a great feedback with the best compliments and give a bad rating in private feedback.

Because clients are sick of a certain subset of freelancers asking for 5 stars, or arguing over "less than perfect" public feedback or getting upeset and wanting to plead, get the feedback changed etc.

So such clients just give 5 stars to get out of the contract cleanly and be done with it.

Hello, My JSS score dropped from 86% to 80% on 16/02/2020 while I was on 3 contracts, one of which was closed before Sunday and the client gave me a 5 star rating and a good review though it didn't reflect on my profile until 17/02/2020,The remaining 2 contracts, one something was earned on it while the other nothing was earned on it. I want to ask why my JSS dropped so much given this circumstances, I actually feel this is a mistake and I would like Upwork to take a closer look at this.
Thank You
Regards.

Utibe Benson O wrote:

Hello, My JSS score dropped from 86% to 80% on 16/02/2020 while I was on 3 contracts, one of which was closed before Sunday and the client gave me a 5 star rating and a good review though it didn't reflect on my profile until 17/02/2020,The remaining 2 contracts, one something was earned on it while the other nothing was earned on it.

How long has the contract with no earnings been open? Unless it's been more than 2 months, it has nothing at all to do with your JSS.

It is far more likely that you had not so great private feedback on a contract that closed recently.

And writing "PLEASE NOTE: My 80% JSS is not as a results of bad feed backs, it is as a result of my open contracts." on your profile is unprofessional, likely wrong and misleading, and  offputting to clients. 

mehran1013

Hi Everyone,

I hope all is well. I am here to just to get little help with that I just lost the Top Rated Status in this last weekend update. So, Would I have to wait for another 13 weeks out of 16 to regain this as If my JSS increases in the next Update, that is 2 weeks from now?

As I have 14/16 weeks So, If my JSS increases in the next Update that is 2 weeks from now would I just regain the status or the same 13 weeks.
I appreciate your time for this.
Thanks

aderano0270

Hi, I just wanna seek advise and answer

1.) why my JSS keeps getting low and low each week.
I have been working consistently, with good feedbacks and earned long term clients, and has earned over $40,000.
My profile is in public, you can check it anytime you want.
I'm asking this just so I know where to improve,

2.) I noticed I have a lot of ongoing contracts that were not making any money in a long time, will there be any negative effect if I stop them on my own and not by the client?
Do you advise me to do this? or what?

I appreciate it a lot!

Another thing, I ha

Is it tough to get a Job with 91% JSS with aTop Rated Badge. And If the client doesn't colse the contract after releasing all the milestones should I close the contracts? is that gonna reduce my JSS?

Learning Paths