🐈 Community
emmac6248

JSS

**Update: This thread has been closed for new replies**

I would like to understand why  Upwork don't look at clients who don't leave feedback.  Some clients are one-off users, others are too busy to leave feedback and some just don't understand how to do it.  I have long-standing contracts that never received feedback, yet the messages show how happy the client  was.  I have other clients who were first time users and had work complete - were happy (again, said so) but didn't leave feedback. Then there are the users who just never leave feedback - for anyone!  I have flagged and flagged this but the help team just keep repeating the same thread (obviously a template).  I think that clients notorious for not leaving feedback should be taken into account and if a freelancer requests feedback - they should not be penalised for no feedback left.  I also think Upwork should look at those contracts and make their own decisions.  Am so fed up with this system that I've shifted some stuff over to another website, some clients are now private and I'm trying my best to move a load of other clients.  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

We are closing this thread from new replies because it has grown too large and with recent changes some information here is now outdated.

Here are the links to most recent changes in how JSS is calculated:

No feedback contracts no longer impacting JSS

Job size being factored into JSS 

For general information about how Job Success Score is calculated, please see this help article. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,753 REPLIES 5,753

If the client closes the contract, they are forced to leave fb (and you are notified the contract has been closed and invited to leave fb). If you close the contract, you are required to leave fb and the client is invited to do so -- and they may or may not bother. It does not hurt your JSS for a contract to sit idle for a long time, provided some money was paid on it. A contract closed with no fb does not hurt your JSS unless you accumulate a large proportion of them. Therefore, it is best to let clients close contracts when possible.

When work is complete, send the client a message saying you enjoyed working with them; if they don't need anything else, they can close the contract and if they wish to re-hire you in the future it can be done with one click. Then leave them alone. If they don't close it, then you can eventually close it yourself but wait until you have a few others closed with fb to balance it.

I don't think a 91% JSS will keep you from getting work but if you drop below 90% then you'll lose your TR badge and you don't want that to happen. Keep an eye on your 'clients who would recommend you' percentage. That carries more weight in your JSS calculation than the public star ratings. It updates on a different schedule (to keep FLs from sussing out which clients give them less-than-great private fb).

bizwriterjohn

One of the concepts beyind counting "no ratings left" may be that a contractor's capability to successfully close a job is, in part, indicative of their overall effectiveness as a business person.

I state this not in specific response to your situation.  I am sad for this and you deserve to be treated better.  I use these tactics:

1. Before a job is accepted, I have a frank dialog with the hiring client to indicate: JSS scores actually do matter. They are among our most important business assets.

2. I engage in a formalized 'end of project' close action.  I specifically request to have a communication by voice or video, as a final check of delivery quality.  Then suggest, WITHOUT suggesting a specific rating be left -- I suggest the hiring client take a moment to close the project down now and leave ratings.

3,. When there is a delay in receiving ratings, I engage in a weekly communication through Upwork email to remind the client it is good practice for both of us to exchange ratings. 

Some have, and perhaps will accuse me of 'pandering' to a client or some other designation of inappropriate business behavior.  Some freelancers are aghast at the concept of actively seeking to close a project down -- their business practice is to 'let whatever happens, happen'.

My metric for measurement of success is personally extracted.  In my modestly sized number of projects (about 70 or so, as memory serves).  I have about 5 as memory serves that did not close with ratings.  As best I can remember.  I am exactly sure that use of these techniques have resulted in more than 20 successful close-downs, with clients that seemed destined to wander off and not attend to the business at hand.

Message: consider project closes as a discrete step.  Work the step with professional, formalized communication practices.  There is some probability your close ratio will improve.

John B wrote:

One of the concepts beyind counting "no ratings left" may be that a contractor's capability to successfully close a job is, in part, indicative of their overall effectiveness as a business person.

I state this not in specific response to your situation.  I am sad for this and you deserve to be treated better.  I use these tactics:

1. Before a job is accepted, I have a frank dialog with the hiring client to indicate: JSS scores actually do matter. They are among our most important business assets.

2. I engage in a formalized 'end of project' close action.  I specifically request to have a communication by voice or video, as a final check of delivery quality.  Then suggest, WITHOUT suggesting a specific rating be left -- I suggest the hiring client take a moment to close the project down now and leave ratings.

3,. When there is a delay in receiving ratings, I engage in a weekly communication through Upwork email to remind the client it is good practice for both of us to exchange ratings. 

Some have, and perhaps will accuse me of 'pandering' to a client or some other designation of inappropriate business behavior.  Some freelancers are aghast at the concept of actively seeking to close a project down -- their business practice is to 'let whatever happens, happen'.

My metric for measurement of success is personally extracted.  In my modestly sized number of projects (about 70 or so, as memory serves).  I have about 5 as memory serves that did not close with ratings.  As best I can remember.  I am exactly sure that use of these techniques have resulted in more than 20 successful close-downs, with clients that seemed destined to wander off and not attend to the business at hand.

Message: consider project closes as a discrete step.  Work the step with professional, formalized communication practices.  There is some probability your close ratio will improve.

Or, do the work well, get paid for it and at the end of the task send one short, polite message asking the client to close the contract. Most will.

The thought of mentioning my JSS to a potential client before a job is accepted (or at any time) seems idiotic. 

If they want to leave you good feedback they will and if they don't, it's because they have other things to do. People are busy.

I don't expect to go to my local supermarket and expect to be told that I can buy something as long as I tell people how good the product was, and if they did, I'd probably stop going there.

So I had 78% as Private feedback 2 days ago when I last saw. Looks like it gets updated every 2 days or something which I am not sure but it dropped to 77% suddenly even after having 2 amazing clients who left 5-star rating and a brief positive review about my work. I worked really hard after a few hits on my JSS score which was due to poor selection of clients and now I am really tensed again even after truly positive client interactions and reviews. Kindly give me some insights on this.

I am sorry Chandralekha, It is difficult when this happen. I know.

Like you said poor selection of clients was the same for me. And it makes this even more difficult to understand.

I understand the way they count and make the JSS. But not how sort of unfair it can be. When having one or two clients who were not a good choice. Some seem to enjoy giving you a bad review. Or just are difficult. Or they don't like you. 

It upsets me when happening with my JSS. But I have started to think that my Portfolio can show anyway my work and skills. I hope the better clients look there more than count my score...

Chandralekha M wrote:

So I had 78% as Private feedback 2 days ago when I last saw. Looks like it gets updated every 2 days or something which I am not sure but it dropped to 77% suddenly even after having 2 amazing clients who left 5-star rating and a brief positive review about my work.

It updates after every few contracts, so it's likely that the last couple of contracts have just brought it to the number needed to be updated.

By the way, the most damning and damaging thing on your entire profile is a client adding to her feedback that he / she was harassed to change her review. Don't do that. It's unbelievably unprofessional and even if the client HAD changed the star rating to 5 stars, it would not have improved your JSS in any way, shape or form.

You're lucky the client did not mark you down more and didn't report you.

Hey Petra, her allegations are false. I just asked her to check my submissions since she had overlooked them and she only admitted it in the messages. But later on she increased the stars for the deadline but decreased for quality which was high before.  I did not trouble her in any way. 

The only reason I did not reply to that message was not to unnecessarily make it a point of attraction with a huge argument. 

Usually, I do not go back to my clients on their reviews. This was the first time I did since the matter was not subjective in nature like quality, cooperation, skills etc which are probable factors left to individual interpretations. Deadline is something that is measurable and agreed to in prior. In fact I had submitted it a day before the deadline itself. Its just that she overlooked it.

Anyways I have also learnt that I should not go back to my clients on their review which is unprofessional. 🙂

Hay,
Upwork has changed the formula for the collection of JSS in which high valued contracts are having more effect on JSS. So, try to perform well and get positive reviews to boost your JSS from now on.
yllkarraci

Hello,

I just ended my 6th contract,  ended the first 5 contracts with 5 stars rating, but 6th with 2.1 stars.(Sometimes we run into difficult cilents). Now my JSS is 90%.

My question is : will the review with 2.2 stars may have a bad effect on my profile and decrease my JSS,

Yllka R wrote:

I just ended my 6th contract,  ended the first 5 contracts with 5 stars rating,

4 of them. One was a 4.45

Yllka R wrote:

My question is : will the review with 2.2 stars may have a bad effect on my profile and decrease my JSS,

Yes, it will affect your JSS very significantly.

mariouranjek

I'm curious if your JSS will be affected from a contract before you get the chance to leave your feedback (while client feedback is hidden)

Mario U wrote:

I'm curious if your JSS will be affected from a contract before you get the chance to leave your feedback (while client feedback is hidden)

yes

*irrelevant now that is moved to this enormous thread*

Mario U wrote:

Isn't that kind of a loophole to see if a client left bad feedback before you leave yours?

I always leave feedback straight away. I don't need loopholes to tell me how my contracts have gone 😉

*irrelevant now that is moved to this enormous thread*

marcrodrigo

Thanks A lot upwork!

After 88% to 74% All 5 star feedback from my previous 12 client. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

shamin07031

Hello,

I stop working on Upwork the last 2 years, but from last October I start work again from August and complete all the requirements and doing really so well, but don't get my JSS Yet. 

How Can I get my JSS. Is there anyone who can help me?

Thanks

kim_yeongha

Hello people,

I am a content writer / translator and joined Upwork just a month ago.

Today I got my first JSS and it was 69%.

Although I already have two clients giving me works constantly, 

It still hurts my heart that I might make serious mistakes.

I think bad private feedback is unlikely.

It is because I have only two public reviews and they are both 5 stars.

One thankfully wrote a lengthy review to appreciate my skills

and another expressed satisfaction, saying he will come back to do business with me again in the future.

One of the clients even paid extra fees as I delivered translation quickly and precisely.

I know I am not perfect and I still have to improve my skills.

But the number 69% is something I've never got in my career outside of Upwork.

So far, I suspect these things might affect my rating negatively:

1. At the very first contract, I did not understand how Upwork works, so I took the offer first. However, she was offering an impossible rate (4 times lower than my rate). So I politely asked her permission and I terminated the contract before it puts any milestones.

2. I have left inactive contracts open for more than a month.

3. I have many completed contracts without feedback given.

While it will not ruin my career right now, I fear that I may be making serious mistakes without noticing.

Is it possible to have 69% JSS without serious mistakes?

If it is possible, what is your recommendation to prevent this from happening again?

Thank you for reading my post written in confusion.

Friendly,

Yeongha Kim

Yeongha K wrote:

Is it possible to have 69% JSS without serious mistakes?

Obviously it is possible, you proved that it's possible.

The contract you decided you didn't want AFTER accepting it will play the largest part. You need to check an offer properly before you accept it. If you accept a contract at a lower rate, you either do what you agreed to do at the rate you (nobody else) agreed to do it, or take the hit to your JSS.

You also have twice as any contracts with no feedback than contracts with feedback. Try to get the clients to end the contract, rather than rushing to end contracts yourself. That way you can build up your feedback history and improve your JSS.

Thank you for your kind explanation Petra.

I will keep your advice in mind.

Have a nice day!

junwu456

I have submitted lots of jobs with good work for the last few months on Upwork but my job success rate keeps on going down and hasn't improved. Can you advise on how I can improve my success rate? It's affecting the types of jobs I receive. 

joaquimb

Hi Everyone,

I was working as a freelancer on Upwork for several months.
My account was in Rising talent status with 4 perfect 5 marks feedback,
But I got Job Success score 91% today and I don’t know why it is and how to improve to 100%
I thought I can get 100% as my clients were all satisfied and left perfect feedbacks

Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Joaquim

Hi Joaquim,

A Job Success Score of 90% is actually pretty good and will help you work towards Top Rated badge. Continue delivering great results on your contracts and you'll see your score improve. Additionally, check out the "How can I improve my score?" section of this help article for more information.  

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria

Thanks for your reply.

But I'm asking why it is calculated to 91% even all feedbacks are perfect 5?

One thing, one feedback was 4.6 at first and the client updated to 5

Is this the reason for not being 100% JSS?

If so, how can I improve?, Ask Upwork to improve or refund such a small contract - 50$ out of other contract 9k+?

Can you please tell me?

Joaquim

Joaquim,

Please note that not only public feedback but also private feedback, contracts without feedback or any money paid, etc. also contribute to the JSS. Refunding a contract or changing public feedback will not change private feedback provided on the contract. Instead, I'd recommend that you focus on delivering great work on your current and future contracts to improve your JSS.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi,

One my clients is not responding after the work is done. He has created job for $10 and the milestone of $5. Work is completed and he is not responding from 1month so i have ended the contract. I got $5 and job is ended.
Does it affect JSS? if yes what should we do in this case?

Does it affect JSS?

No.
Don't worry about this.

This is over now. No need to think about it any further.

What if the client canceled a contract and paid Zero amount, Is it gonna effect JSS in new policy ?

And what about if i dispute for the funded amount, does that hurt my JSS?

Hi MD, 

The changes to how the Job Success Score is computed doesn't affect how contracts without earnings and feedback affect the score. In this help article on the Job Success Score, the FAQ section (How do contracts with no earnings or feedback affect my score?) notes that contracts that fail to lead to any earnings will negatively impact your Job Success Score. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi, 
As being said: Contracts without earning negatively affect JSS of the FL. 

So what if that only because client has failed to pay for the complete work that FL has done? 
I have a case of myself submitting hours through manual and client failed to pay, so now I have to suffer consequences from both Client and UW counting JSS. 
I do understand that manual time is not protected, but at the same time if you look into my case- because it is an AVALABLE option and I choose to pick that option to bill client, and that very option has the potential of damaging my JSS and taking my time and effort for the work I never get paid at the same time. 
I don't blame anyone but I'm just wondering
if it is something that UW should look into to better their system? 

Linh, 

There is not a lot you can do (and I doubt Upwork will change on what is and isn't protected). You can do a little damage limitation: 

!) Contact the client and say that since he or she has not paid you, they do not own the work and that you will ask for a takedown if you see it on the internet and you will also use it in your portfolio. 

2) Let it ride. If the client closes the contract, he is obliged to leave feedback. If the feedback is not too bad, I would advise that you leave it, even though no payment is likely to impact your JSS. 

3) If the feedback is really awful and you fall below being top rated, you have two weeks to use your TR perk and have the feedback (private and public) removed from your profile. Your JSS will stay the same, but the drawback is that it will say on your profile something like "This feedback has been removed."

Linh T wrote:

As being said: Contracts without earning negatively affect JSS of the FL. 

So what if that only because client has failed to pay for the complete work that FL has done? 

Actually, not in your case: 

Contracts with suspended clients do not affect your JSS.

Clients who do not pay are suspended.

If the client left a positive private feedback with no earnings is it still gonna hurt my JSS???

Hi Md, 

Positive feedback on contracts with no earnings will not be factored into the Job Success Score calculation now that we have moved to the new Job Success Score calculation. You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi, Avery!

When it will not be factored? Or already?

Hi Olena,

Just to clarify, did you meant when your JSS will be updated? If yes, every second week on Sunday your Job Success Score is updated. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Positive feedback on contracts with no earnings will not be factored into the Job Success Score calculation now that we have moved to the new Job Success Score calculation.

Have we already moved to the new JSS calculation?

Olena B wrote:

Have we already moved to the new JSS calculation?

We did on the 1st of March.

biancamwaura

Hi,

Can anyone help me understand why I do not have a JSS I have worked on many projects in the past with almost all of them being 5-stars?

Hi Bianca, 

It looks like some of your contracts in the past have already fallen off the 24-month window. As you know, your Job Success Score is computed every two weeks, and it takes snapshots of the past 6-, 12-, and 24-month of your history in the marketplace, and calculates a score for each. The highest score in this calculation is your Job Success Score. 

In your case, since there are not enough contracts to compute your score from, you do not have a Job Success Score. You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork