Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Community Leader
Debora F Member Since: Nov 3, 2010
1211 of 5,530

Same for me.

The JSS at Upwork is really a BAD system.

There are freelancers with 65 open jobs (!!), with no feedbacks and they have 99% JSS.

They say that is the Private Feedback from the client. So, I ask...if there is a "bad" private feedback, why don´t they send it to us, so we could know if we did something wrong, so we could improve?? No...is private...so we don´t know how, when and why our JSS is lowering.

I work for more than 8 years here (ex Elance) and this is the worst time in this site. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mohammed G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
1212 of 5,530

@Debora F wrote:

Same for me.

The JSS at Upwork is really a BAD system.

There are freelancers with 65 open jobs (!!), with no feedbacks and they have 99% JSS.

They say that is the Private Feedback from the client. So, I ask...if there is a "bad" private feedback, why don´t they send it to us, so we could know if we did something wrong, so we could improve?? No...is private...so we don´t know how, when and why our JSS is lowering.

I work for more than 8 years here (ex Elance) and this is the worst time in this site. 

Well, They argue that they made this system because some freelancers used to " harrass " the clients when they gave them bad public feedback, So they gave them the opportunity to give the freelancer a 5 star public rating yet give him 1 star behind closed doors!.

Also in some conversations, many community gurus her accused me that I don`t like the system because I am not successful freelancer! ( I am top rated now with 100% JSS ) for more than 8 months maybe.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mst Faujia Y Member Since: Sep 5, 2016
1213 of 5,530

Hello Guys,

I had 85% Prolile JSS  score before one job completed. My clients gave me 5 rating feedback and recommeded to others but do not add full 5% JSS score with my profile.Now i have profile JSS score 87%. Only add 2% Jss score. I don't know, Why add only 2% JSS score with my profile. So please help me

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
1214 of 5,530

One five star rating does not equal +5 percentage points in the JSS. The more jobs you do, the less one individual job counts, for better or for worse. 

Highlighted
Adin S Member Since: Jan 11, 2018
1215 of 5,530

Hello,

I tried to understand formula of job success score, but it looks like I don't. Problem is, I had 75% job sucess score, and after that got hired once again. That resulted with sucessful job and client left positive feedback with 5 star rating. This one didn't produce any change for a few days, and today I went to my profile and now my job success score is 58%.

Can somebody explain to me what happened?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1216 of 5,530

Adin S wrote:. This one didn't produce any change for a few days, and today I went to my profile and now my job success score is 58%.

Can somebody explain to me what happened?

Private feedback and / or contracts that never had any payment laying idle for months or being closed or fully refunded contracts.

JSS updates only once every two weeks on a Sunday, the last update was last Sunday (2nd September)

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
1217 of 5,530

Sorry to hear about your experience! It can indeed be frustrating to see rating go down like that. I have had that happen to me earlier as well, without really having visibility to the reasoning.

Looking at your profile, without any other source of information, I would guess, that what pushes that down is the amount of past contracts on your list that have no feedback in them. And then there is one with only 1/5 rating. These could be the reason. Also, your more recent contracts with 5/5 feedback in all of them, could be a red herring. That meaning, that clients who closed them could have indicated in their private feedback that despite your perfect service, they might not be that willing to recommend your services for others. They can do that rating on the scale of one to ten, if I recall right. Also, it does affect if you did close the contracts or if the client did -- there is no way to see that in the profile, as of what was the case for each contract.

Earlier I have heard, that some freelancers learned to just leave contracts open forever, to avoid getting punished. And indeed, I have seen freelancers here with nearly one hundred contracts open, and rating nearly or at top of the scale. I think the rating today will also consider the amount of inactive contracts, at least that is what we have been told it does. Someone said it would not, on the other hand, if the contract had some history of billing. Unfortunately, we have no way to know what is the real fact of the matter.

I would wish you all the best success in your freelancing career! Do not be pushed down with the rating, but ask yourself, what could be the reason for client to not to be happy. That is the sole thing the rating tries to represent. And that is one of the most difficult thing to sense in some person, as expressions of "happiness" and "satifaction" indeed vary across cultures, people and traditions. Keep on learning and trying out! One thing also, that I have heard from someone as tip to customer relationship management, is to ask client already during the project about their satisfaction. That may not be that easy thing to do in all of the cases, and one might not get accurate answer, but at least you have then tried and even a non-response is a response of some kind.

Have a good day all and good luck in your efforts to make customers satified!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1218 of 5,530

@Kristo wrote:

Looking at your profile, without any other source of information, I would guess, that what pushes that down is the amount of past contracts on your list that have no feedback in them.

Kristo, for crying out loud. You really NEED to stop repeating this old chestnut. If payment was (ever) made on the contract it will not affect the JSS unless a significant percentage of the contracts in the calculation window are like that.

Contracts with NOTHING paid, open for a long time or closed without feedback, do hurt the JSS. A few "no feedback" or "long term inactive" ones (provided something was paid) have no impact. AT ALL!

Why do people insist on blaming "No Feedback" contracts? Because it seem more palatable than "clients gave you really poor private feedback?" The way Nicolas declined to react to the question about it would indicate that the "Clients who would recommend" percentage is in the basement.

Kristo  wrote: Someone said it would not, on the other hand, if the contract had some history of billing. Unfortunately, we have no way to know what is the real fact of the matter.

How do we have "no way of knowing?" Can we not read?

read.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1219 of 5,530

I can read. I read that contracts with funds paid but no feedback may have an impact on JSS once a certain threshold number of contracts within that category.  I continue to be puzzled by those who insist that these contracts don't have an impact. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kristo H Member Since: May 6, 2017
1220 of 5,530

This is all so interesting! I feel like this is a good spot for some speculation. This is all pure prediction towards the future, based on the events in the past. As we know, there might be multiple parallel and even conflicting developments to the future. Fascinating thing about time is, that it seems, to the eye, that only one of those possible futures will actually come about to be. Thus, we have at every moment at hand multiple potential futures, which we can compare and consider. This is essentially what artificial intelligence and machine learning does. This speculation now is purely human, though, there is no machine involved, other than the keyboard and a mouse.

Recalling how eLance merged to UpWork some years ago, and seeing the growing significance of global freelancing work, for me personally but also as essentially the infrastructure for "global labour", one might not avoid thinking what else could happen in the future and how the current situation and past developments relate to it, either by supporting or playing against. Two specifically interesting things appear, if I may, that are fruitful and interesting from the point of view of speculation. Those are the divine status of the current rating system and one rather cursory notion that somene mentioned here on these forums before, that is the fact, what they said, that UpWork, as a company, was still not profitable. I do not have numbers of that claim, nor can I recall who said that, but she (I recall she might have been female) seemed to be rather confident if not even knowledgeable in her remark. These two things raise one rather interesting speculative thought.

Let us assume, that this rather aggressive rating and the motive for increase in profit are tightly connected. It would sound reasonable. Knowing how many corporations exercise similar ratings internally, without actually revealing their outcome to the staff, even to the extent that they do here, one might speculate, that the antagonist, if not even militant deployment of the rating scheme was meant to not only increase profitability of the company, but actually to make it look more lucrative for future mergers, perhaps even facilitate integration into some traditional HR-oriented outsourcing/staffing organization. This is, of course, not even a rumor, just guessword and free-style thinking.

Whatever is the real matter of facts, I am really eager to be part of the community and to contribute to the fascinating development of this online freelancing working environment, let it be then business to business game or "real" and serious outsourcing. Sorry for such a lengthy and speculative posting, I hope this is not inappropriate by any measures. Currently I have only few ongoing tasks on my list, so perhaps that is the reason why I have time to write here.

This sparks out one further thing which I think might be useful for the future success of the platform, that is more effective mechanism for scheduling and "parallelization" of contracts. With this I mean, that for a freelancer, when you are busy with preparing the deliverables, you typically have less time for sending proposals. This leads to the situation where sending proposals gets easily concentrated into those gaps inbetween deliverables, and this on the other hand leads to "swinging" motion in both closing contracts as well as for cash flow for UpWork. I have seen similar fluctuation nature to the volume of incoming invitations. At some times their volume is high, and then for some period of time, very low. It is like the spots on the surface of Sun. One may try to estimate the cycle they follow, and they seem to follow one, yet, it keeps off and away of any specific definitions.

What I like in UpWork too, is its potential in perhaps being able to tie in that gap, to generate incoming offers during an ongoing work, so that this waving trend would, if not disappear, at least smoothen down a bit. In a traditional organization this gap is closed by dedicate sales-team. For freelancers, UpWork is the de facto semi-automatic sales-team, yet it yells for some improvement in order to achieve and facilitate stability for the freelancer.  I have no answers here, just thinking, hoping that is not inappropriate thing to do. 

Have a great day all!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS