Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
1431 of 2,416

@Nicolo V wrote:

Thanks guys, that helps a lot at putting things in perspective. I guess that having just started and only having a handful of jobs under my belt, I felt a bit disappointed that the stats, being the only way we have to assess our current and potential success other than what we think about our work, portrayed me as "not that perfect" despite all of the effort and good feedbacks. I guess I'll just have to live with it, trusting that the JSS won't have much of an impact in the long run. Thanks again!

I didn't look at your profile, but if you are talented like Baris said trust me you will stand out. 95% of your competition doesn't have any brain power or talent. It's not hard to stand out if you are truthful about your skill set and have the proof to back it up. Out of 20 proposals, I would bet the client sees like maybe max 3 great people and probably at least one of them is a fraud profile with stolen content. 

Thanks to the 3 limit invites for new clients (or they have to pay), Upwork curb stomped me for real. Most of my stuff is with new clients, so I will be able to commiserate with errrryone next week as I send proposals and want to shoot myself because of the people who will respond. oh and eta, we got "talent" agents determine who is a good fit and like....yeah I'm just gonna sit in rage over that. The open marketplace has its own set of headaches to worry about, so try not to obsess over the stats too or you will bang your head on your desk every day.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
1432 of 2,416

Nicolo, as noted - your portfolio is terrific!  You've got some really good stuff. and a refreshingly unique style.

I believe it was Jennifer who indicated you are far better than most of your competition on U.  I agree with her.  Stuff like JSS is nonsense - ignore it - hard as that might be.

I sent your profile to a friend (U. client) who might be interested.  Private message me for details.  To PM me, click on my name - you will see an option to message me.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
1433 of 2,416

@Nicolo V wrote:

Thanks guys, that helps a lot at putting things in perspective. I guess that having just started and only having a handful of jobs under my belt, I felt a bit disappointed that the stats, being the only way we have to assess our current and potential success other than what we think about our work, portrayed me as "not that perfect" despite all of the effort and good feedbacks. I guess I'll just have to live with it, trusting that the JSS won't have much of an impact in the long run. Thanks again!

What Jennifer and Baris and Wendy said, plus... As far as I'm concerned, the only success metric that means anything at all is whether I'm earning money at a rate that I'm comfortable with. The JSS is a tool for clients and a distraction for us. To succeed as a freelancer, you need skills and talent that are worth money to other people; the ability to recognize those people (and help them recognize you) and then manage your relationships with them; and the willingness to run your practice like the business that it is. Beyond that, you need a strong work ethic, a thick skin, and a heaping helping of perseverance. If you bring all of that to the table, then you'll succeed. If you don't, you probably won't, and the likely low JSS will not be the cause, it'll be the symptom.

Ace Contributor
Vasja S Member Since: Dec 23, 2016
1434 of 2,416

"Now I expect all of the same copy-paste replies I've read in a bunch of other threads already, and I'm not much interested in those actually, but when a considerable amount of freelancers is complaining that they're not being treated fairly, why not start making some efforts towards their satisfaction for once? After all, it's on our work that Upwork makes their profit, and the "well then go find another platform" is only going to hold for so much. Then, we may very well find, or found, another platform and peace arrivederci"

Couldn't agree more. I've spent years working on my profile and on several occasions I literally felt like someone is sabotaging me with this ridiculous job success score calculations. I went through every possible guide in search for logic behind their infamous JSS algorithm and after 27 jobs and thousands of hard-earned money, I'm almost definitely sure there is no logic, at least not for us freelancers.

Today I've spent more than three hours communicating with Upwork support, which is also getting worse and worse (auto-generated replies, slow response, no reasonable explanations and/or solutions), only to discover that my JSS did drop by 11% overnight although I didn't have ANY negative feedbacks in the last three months or more. 

What's even worse, someone from Upwork support tried to convince me that everything is fine with my profile after they obviously updated my profile stats and fixed the bug showing two different job success scores - 89% was shown on the profile and 100% was shown in my profile stats. I even sent them two screenshots as a proof, but after a few minutes ago I received an answer that there is no problem with JSS. In short, by fixing whatever was wrong with my profile while I was still in the middle of correspondence with their support, they made it look like I'm hallucinating after I've sent them the proof that something is definitely happening with JSS calculations on my profile.

This is simply outrageous and unacceptable from a multi-million dollar company that earns so much thanks to us freelancers.

Ace Contributor
1435 of 2,416

Things are getting better by minute...

This is a reply I received from support staff, 30 minutes before another e-mail informed me that my JSS is actually 89%. 

"Glen Villarey (Upwork Help Center)

Jan 6, 3:39 PM CET

Hi Vasja, 

Your real JSS' real score as of the moment is 100% as we always give you your highest score."

What. Is. Going. On. Here?
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
1436 of 2,416

@Vasja S wrote:

Things are getting better by minute...

This is a reply I received from support staff, 30 minutes before another e-mail informed me that my JSS is actually 89%. 

"Glen Villarey (Upwork Help Center)

Jan 6, 3:39 PM CET

Hi Vasja, 

Your real JSS' real score as of the moment is 100% as we always give you your highest score."

What. Is. Going. On. Here?

It seems to happen often that both scores are not updated at the same time (minute, hour), so that is what happened in your case. Clearly the helpdesk should know about that possibility and not give you incorrect information. 

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
1437 of 2,416

Clearly.  But Upwork really doesn't care.  If it did, you would not see so many people complaining about the same thing.  For years.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1438 of 2,416

@brian F wrote:

Clearly.  But Upwork really doesn't care.  If it did, you would not see so many people complaining about the same thing.  For years.

A lot of people are disappointed when they don't get into their first choice school, don't make the cut for the varsity team or get turned down for the job to which they applied, too. There will always be someone who wants the bar lowered. 

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
1439 of 2,416

"What is going on here?" More of the usual.  It's enraging.

Ace Contributor
1440 of 2,416

Hi Brian,

Yeah, I obviously wasn't aware that this is an ongoing issue... It's not that I'm any less shocked and frustrated by the whole situation, it's just that I clearly have to stop thinking about it and hoping that things would change for better.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS