Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
1431 of 1,690

Jonathan R wrote:

This is what happened to me in 2016.

My job Success score was 90% on 10/4/16 until on 10/16/16 it dropped to 68%.  The lact activity on my account was back at end of july when i closed out a completed job.  My account only has a year of history.     Your blog says " The Upwork system takes frequent snapshots of your 6, 12 and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score. We choose the best score out of these rolling windows."   Mathmaticlly none of my jobs would fall off as i dont have any feedback that over a year old.  So the 12 month or 24 month would be best score and still be 90%.    Again no open jobs since mid to end july.  Oct 4th score was 90% , then oct 16th score update to 68%.  My account only a year old.     Please explane the change for 90% to 68%?  

If your account is less than 12 month old you can only have a 6-month JSS. A 7 month old 5* job might have droped out of the calculation and while you just received a lower rating.

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
1432 of 1,690

The time-window for JSS is clearly flawed.  They should run some sort of running weighted average relative to the most recent periods without dropping whole years and months from the score.  That would solve a lot of these problems.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1433 of 1,690

Brian F wrote:

The time-window for JSS is clearly flawed.  They should run some sort of running weighted average relative to the most recent periods without dropping whole years and months from the score.  That would solve a lot of these problems.

For you. Which appears to be the goal of every "solution" you propose. You don't want to improve the JSS, you want to mold it to suit your specific situation. 

Community Guru
1434 of 1,690

You need to reread what I wrote.  A system that weighed older years less but didn't obliterate them from the score would still give people with more active recent profiles a boost without totally screwing over others who don't fit into that category, but apparently you only care if you aren't having problems.  Call me crazy but i'm looking for a system that doesn't greatly penalize anyone for anything other than bad ratings weighed against all their other ratings (including private ones).  Somone with a strong history who only does a few contracts recently should not have the strong hstory completyely ignored and his "success" represented in a highly misleading way.  It's amoral to just say it's fine because it doesn't affect you and ignore problems it causes others.

Jonathan R Member Since: Mar 6, 2018
1435 of 1,690
Jennifer so your saying that upwork not really taking 3 snapshots then?
Community Guru
1436 of 1,690

Maybe instread of "explaining" a 90% to 68% drop we can agree that that is outrageous and get as many Gurus as possible that the system be amended to avoid situation like this and to wieght past years differently instead of dropping them off the score altogether?  You know, like a human, caring response?

Community Guru
1437 of 1,690

" 3.9 is a good score." Definitely does not HELP your JSS and defiitely HURTS.  It is not a good score...

Jonathan R Member Since: Mar 6, 2018
1438 of 1,690

Can you please explane where you are seeing a 3.9? 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1439 of 1,690

Denise H wrote:

Hi!

How do I dispute a score I received back in October?  This client gave me 2 hours to write a blog from notes he provided.  I asked him a few questions on what he would like his tone to be.  I completed a draft in less than an hour so we'd have over a hour to tweak and get the tone he wanted, etc. as is customary.  Days to weeks later, he finally responded to me saying, sorry he didnt respond sooner but he was sick and how should he pay me?  I thought he was happy with my draft.  He closes the contract and give me a 3.9 rating.

Clients aren't obligated to allow freelancers to revise drafts or repair a relationship. Reviews are a subjective matter. There's nothing to dispute. No one is going to assess every article or other work product and judge whether or not a client provided accurate feedback. What would the dispute say, "The client should have given me another hour to make the work better" before ending the contract?  

Community Guru
1440 of 1,690

"Clients aren't obligated to allow freelancers to revise drafts or repair a relationship. Reviews are a subjective matter. There's nothing to dispute. No one is going to assess every article or other work product and judge whether or not a client provided accurate feedback. What would the dispute say, "The client should have given me another hour to make the work better" before ending the contract?"

Actually, since we can't read minds, logic dictates clients are obligated to provide notes.  Especially since so many clients are poor at communicating and don't even know what or how to articulate what they want (that is why they hire us int he first place, quite often) we are often just guessing.  With a little bit of feedback we can give them just what they need but it'son them to provide clear instructions.  So sorry, but that resposne is ridiculous.  More often than not, I don't bill for revisions even if the client was horrible at explaining  what he wanted.  But if he just closed out withotu explaining anything and left a bad review, that's just poor behavior on the clients' part.  Congratulations on your ESP but the rest of us aren't Professor Xavier.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS