cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Ace Contributor
Vasja S Member Since: Dec 23, 2016
1441 of 2,038

Once again Petra R comes to the rescue Smiley Happy Thank you.

There was one contract I had to end a few days ago because the client was suspended. You might remember that case from a few weeks ago, since you were the one who told me he was most likely suspended because he was hiring freelancers to write Amazon reviews. I wrote a screenplay review and had no idea what is it for, then the client got suspended but he probably paid before that happened, so I got my money as I hoped. I didn't end the contract because it was the first time my client was suspended, so I waited for some kind of confirmation from Upwork. After 10-15 days I decided to end the contract and, of course, I didn't get any feedback for it, although the client was satisfied with my work and even wanted me to do another review.

There's also a long term project I've been working on since October 2018, and we had two milestones. I should get paid at least twice a month for my work, but the client has been a little slow. Still, they paid two milestones so far, so I don't see the problem with this contract and I doubt they left me some kind of negative private feedback because we're communicating all the time and they seem quite satisfied.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1442 of 2,038

@Vasja S wrote:

There was one contract I had to end a few days ago because the client was suspended.

There's also a long term project I've been working on since October 2018, and we had two milestones. I should get paid at least twice a month for my work, but the client has been a little slow. Still, they paid two milestones so far,

Feedback from clients who are suspended should be excluded from the JSS calculation so No, that's not it.

Contracts that had money paid on them don't hurt you, open or closed without feedback, unless you have loads of those.

Did another contract end since the 23d of December? I am looking at one I suspect may have left poor private feedback.

Ace Contributor
Vasja S Member Since: Dec 23, 2016
1443 of 2,038

No, there are no other contracts that ended after the 23rd of December. Apart from the active long term project I told you about, there's just one more active contract that started on December 30th 2018 as a test job. I was paid for one hour of my Upwork time to polish the script, and then both the client and myself should decide whether we want to continue our collaboration. I wrote and submitted the script like we agreed, and I've been waiting for the client to reply to my message since Wednesday (January 2nd). 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1444 of 2,038

@Vasja S wrote:

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your answer. 

Yes, I understand now there's a difference between these two, but I still have absolutely no idea why did my JSS drop from 100% to 89% when there's no apparent reason for that. Upwork support staff even reviewed my complain and explained their last score calculation like this:

"With regards to your score, this is what we are seeing currently: you have 21 outcomes in the past 2 years. 82% of your outcomes have been good, including positive private and public feedback, rehires or long-term relationships. - Of your contracts with feedback, you received good feedback 82% of the time. - 18% of your outcomes were bad due to poor feedback, no earnings, disputes, refunds or customer complaints. Your Job Success Score calculated over 2 years is 89%, over 1 year is 89%, over 6 months is 100%. We give you your highest score".

After I received this e-mail my next question was:

"If my JSS over last six months is 100%, I still don't understand why it's currently showing 89% percent on my profile, and 100% in the profile stats window? Which one of these two scores is my real score at the moment?" and this was the reply: "Hi Vasja, Your real JSS score as of the moment is 100% as we always give you your highest score."

Since my profile was still showing 89% JSS, I submitted another ticket and someone else from support team told me that my JSS is indeed 89% without any further explanations. I still have no idea why did this happen. I'm not trying to find a solution, 'cause there obviously isn't any, I just can't believe what's going on. Very dissapointing.

If 18% of your outcomes weren't good and only 3/4 of your clients would recommend you, perhaps the better question would be why your JSS was 100% before? It's possible to achieve a 100% JSS without achieving perfection in every score, but the lower your numbers get in any one area the less likely it is to hit 100%. That only makes sense. One of your 5-star jobs would have fallen out of the 24-month calculation window after September--that's a small factor but could affect the total. Did your long-term client percentage drop also? 

Denise H Member Since: Oct 12, 2018
1445 of 2,038

Hi!

How do I dispute a score I received back in October?  This client gave me 2 hours to write a blog from notes he provided.  I asked him a few questions on what he would like his tone to be.  I completed a draft in less than an hour so we'd have over a hour to tweak and get the tone he wanted, etc. as is customary.  Days to weeks later, he finally responded to me saying, sorry he didnt respond sooner but he was sick and how should he pay me?  I thought he was happy with my draft.  He closes the contract and give me a 3.9 rating.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
1446 of 2,038

a) You can't dispute a client's score.

b) 3.9 is a good score. This represents high marks across most categories. This client was using the scoring system the way it is intended to be used. You are probably accustomed to seeing high numbers of clients who use the scoring system incorrectly by routinely awarding 5 stars across the board.

Denise, we want you to succeed here on Upwork. I can assure you that you are worrying about this for no reason.

Ace Contributor
Jonathan R Member Since: Mar 6, 2018
1447 of 2,038

This is what happened to me in 2016.

My job Success score was 90% on 10/4/16 until on 10/16/16 it dropped to 68%.  The lact activity on my account was back at end of july when i closed out a completed job.  My account only has a year of history.     Your blog says " The Upwork system takes frequent snapshots of your 6, 12 and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score. We choose the best score out of these rolling windows."   Mathmaticlly none of my jobs would fall off as i dont have any feedback that over a year old.  So the 12 month or 24 month would be best score and still be 90%.    Again no open jobs since mid to end july.  Oct 4th score was 90% , then oct 16th score update to 68%.  My account only a year old.     Please explane the change for 90% to 68%?  

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
1448 of 2,038

Let's just be clear here:  desipte the voluinous responses from Gurus and Moderators, there are glaring issues with JSS that objectively unfairly penalize freelancers who are not frequent and consistent users of the platform and dont get perfect scores 100% of the time, that penalize freelancers for non-reviews, open contracts, etc., things that are not necessarily related to job performance.  This is absolutely unacceptable and needs to be fixed.  This is the clear, overwhelming feedback from the freelancer community in these forums.  No more "responses." no more "explanations." We DEMAND ACTION so that a minimum level of fairness is present.  The time was before but NOW it is just even more obvious.  Do you jobs, fix the system so we can we do our jobs full stop, period.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
1449 of 2,038

Jonathan R wrote:

This is what happened to me in 2016.

My job Success score was 90% on 10/4/16 until on 10/16/16 it dropped to 68%.  The lact activity on my account was back at end of july when i closed out a completed job.  My account only has a year of history.     Your blog says " The Upwork system takes frequent snapshots of your 6, 12 and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score. We choose the best score out of these rolling windows."   Mathmaticlly none of my jobs would fall off as i dont have any feedback that over a year old.  So the 12 month or 24 month would be best score and still be 90%.    Again no open jobs since mid to end july.  Oct 4th score was 90% , then oct 16th score update to 68%.  My account only a year old.     Please explane the change for 90% to 68%?  

If your account is less than 12 month old you can only have a 6-month JSS. A 7 month old 5* job might have droped out of the calculation and while you just received a lower rating.

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
1450 of 2,038

The time-window for JSS is clearly flawed.  They should run some sort of running weighted average relative to the most recent periods without dropping whole years and months from the score.  That would solve a lot of these problems.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS