Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
11 of 4,144

The basic thread here, to recount:  "Some / alot of clients do not leave feedback".   And then downstream issues of dissatisfaction, other-sites-are-better, and so on.

Here's what I do.  I place, in a process, a 'job completion step'.   Meaning, I physically schedule a call or email communication transaction when the final work has been delivered.  And ask what feedback I might get in person, how the project felt, and as part of this.  I remind my clients that my Upwork JSS is my billboard, my megaphone, my front window display, and my first step to gaining new clients.  Said simply: I gently impress upon each client "Your rating really matters to me".

Using this tactic, I have achieved about a, gosh, call it 90% feedback given (if only stars, that's fine with me).  That has taken me across 65 jobs, $275,000 in earnings, and a current 100% JSS.

In the consulting tradition from which I hail, we call this "managing our client".  And just as with any large-scale consultancy, such as Ernst, or Price, or KMPG -- individual contractors can, in effect, manage their client.  Not just do something at the end.  Manage the entire delivery process.

Summary:  schedule a formal project end, ask for personal feedback, indicate (and this is nothing to be embarrassed about) - that the JSS is important for business purposes and then, more good things will happen than not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 4,144

John B wrote:

Summary:  schedule a formal project end, ask for personal feedback, indicate (and this is nothing to be embarrassed about) - that the JSS is important for business purposes.

I remind my clients that my Upwork JSS is my billboard, my megaphone, my front window display, and my first step to gaining new clients.  Said simply: I gently impress upon each client "Your rating really matters to me".

Personally, I consider any attempts to influence a client's feedback by such tactics unprofessional and I'd be mortified to have to stoop to such stuff to coerce clients to leave me good feedback. Usually

It also doesn't seem to universally work, considering that even though you may be able to coerce your clients into leaving 5 stars more often than not, your private feedback percentage remains the determining factor.

Take a look at your "Clients who would recommend you" percentage on your "My Stats" page....

John B wrote:

That has taken me across 65 jobs, $275,000 in earnings, and a current 100% JSS.

How many accounts do you have? On the one you are posting from, your earnings are less than half that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 4,144

I have one account to be clear.  To have more than one account would indicate I am violating Upwork policy.  The figure I assume you reference is "$100,000 in earnings".  Upwork stops counting after that.   I do not.  I simply view the earnings metric as a technique to instill the notion there is experience backing what I offer as use counsel and advice.  Hopefully this has cleared up your misunderstanding.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 4,144

John B wrote:

I have one account to be clear.  To have more than one account would indicate I am violating Upwork policy.  The figure I assume you reference is "$100,000 in earnings".  Upwork stops counting after that.   

If Upwork stops counting after that, why are there so many people in these forums with figures of $200k, $400k, and even half a million dollars showing on their profiles? Seems odd that they'd have stopped counting your earnings but continued to count everyone else's.

Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 4,144

John B wrote:

I have one account to be clear.  To have more than one account would indicate I am violating Upwork policy.  The figure I assume you reference is "$100,000 in earnings".  Upwork stops counting after that. 

Nope. As Tiffany said: Upwork do not stop counting after $ 100.000 in earnings. It goes up in steps of $ 100.000 after that. The reference is in response to your repeated assertion that you have earned in excess of $ 250.000 (you even wrote that in feedback left to a freelancer...) on Upwork when the real figure is under 138k in over 7 years.

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 4,144

I find your immediate launch into the 'coercion' topic disturbing.  Do I view reminding clients that the JSS will be seen and it does impact my viability as a freelancer seeking to win work - as coercion?  Of course not.  I view this as simply stating business facts and without the suggestion of one choice or another.  I am 100% JSS sure it has helped clients to understand --  this is not just some restaurant rating app exercise.  I run a business just like they do, and perceptions matter. Then, I am sure the clients leave the ratings they consider I deserve.  That is the fun part.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
17 of 4,144

John,

It is odd to me that anyone would say that it is a bad idea to have a project wrap-up call with a client after a project is completed. In my little corner of Upwork heaven, it would be rude and unprofessional NOT to have such a call to confirm the client is happy with the final product, knows that the freelancer is available to make corrections/additions (if necessary), etc.

Including in that call an expression of your appreciation for their business, encouragement for them to keep you in mind for similar future projects, etc. would be a given. And there is nothing wrong in the context of an Upwork project mention of the client closing the project at their convenience and letting the client know you look forward to leaving excellent feedback for them (if true) as part of closing the project on Upwork's system.

Asking for specific feedback WOULD be unprofessional and amateurish. Only an idiot of a client would not realize the freelancer is looking for the best feedback possible, which is why Upwork should include in its client feedback forms a reminder of how important accurate feedback is for freelancers. And why 5 star "perfect" ratings should not be necessary to keep a good JSS.

None of this needs to be done in a coersive manner. It's just good business and relationship-building.

If a client refuses to close a completed project, which I see happen about 20% - 30% of the time, I close it  myself after a month or so of non-communication. I have seen no reason to think this approach negatively affects my JSS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
18 of 4,144

Will L wrote:

John,

It is odd to me that anyone would say that it is a bad idea to have a project wrap-up call with a client after a project is completed.

And there is nothing wrong in the context of an Upwork project mention of the client closing the project at their convenience and letting the client know you look forward to leaving excellent feedback for them (if true) as part of closing the project on Upwork's system.

I never said it's a bad idea to do a wrap-up call.

I was commenting on what John said about requesting for feedback.

While your comments are highly appreciated and understandable, I still think it's not particularly professional to tell a client you look forward to leaving (or receiving) excellent feedback.

In fact one client gave me a not particularly glamorous rating for doing just that when I was starting out on Upwork.

Some other freelancers who have commented on this matter say it's better to simply encourage the client to close the contract from their end if they no longer need more work done.

Of course, in the process of doing that, they will have to leave feedback.

PS: Also, please note that the system is intented to be double blind.

By telling the client you look forward to leaving excellent feedback, you've succeded in sabotaging the entire system, Will.

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 4,144

Abinadab A wrote:

I still think it's not particularly professional to tell a client you look forward to leaving (or receiving) excellent feedback.

Even the dimmest client would see that for what it is. Blatant fishing for good feedback. If a freelancer did that to me I'd consider that a bit desperate and creepy.

I never mention feedback at all and let it fall where it may.

That served me well all those years. 

Abinadab A wrote:

PS: Also, please note that the system is intented to be double blind.

By telling the client you look forward to leaving excellent feedback, you've succeded in sabotaging the entire system, Will.

Good point.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
20 of 4,144

John B wrote:

The basic thread here, to recount:  "Some / alot of clients do not leave feedback".   And then downstream issues of dissatisfaction, other-sites-are-better, and so on.

Here's what I do.  I place, in a process, a 'job completion step'.   Meaning, I physically schedule a call or email communication transaction when the final work has been delivered.  And ask what feedback I might get in person, how the project felt, and as part of this.  I remind my clients that my Upwork JSS is my billboard, my megaphone, my front window display, and my first step to gaining new clients.  Said simply: I gently impress upon each client "Your rating really matters to me".

Using this tactic, I have achieved about a, gosh, call it 90% feedback given (if only stars, that's fine with me).  That has taken me across 65 jobs, $275,000 in earnings, and a current 100% JSS.

In the consulting tradition from which I hail, we call this "managing our client".  And just as with any large-scale consultancy, such as Ernst, or Price, or KMPG -- individual contractors can, in effect, manage their client.  Not just do something at the end.  Manage the entire delivery process.

Summary:  schedule a formal project end, ask for personal feedback, indicate (and this is nothing to be embarrassed about) - that the JSS is important for business purposes and then, more good things will happen than not.

This is hands down bad advice.

Please, stop giving clients lectures on how important ratings are for your business. They know already. It is extremely rare, if not impossible that a client would leave 0 thinking it is 10 in the private feedback.

It is also a highly unprofessional thing to do - notwithstanding the earnings you claim this, and just this tactic has earned you.

It is so so smart alec to think that you can harass a client into leaving positive feedback without making them feel like you've just harassed them.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS