cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

JSS

Active Member
Enan Modeste Igor W Member Since: Sep 29, 2017
2101 of 2,562

Petra R wrote:

Enan Modeste Igor W wrote:

Petra R wrote:


You have not closed any contracts in months (since February) and steadily, other outcomes are falling out of your 6 month window.  That means that whatever not-so-great outcome(s) remain in your 6 month window, start to affect you more because it / they become a greater percentage of the 6 month calculation.

 


Thank you Petra I think that's what I wanted to know. So I have two solutions if I understand correctly then:
1. Conclude new contracts
2. Close contracts with high scores

Rright?


Yes, because otherwise it will keep dropping...

You also have clearly inactive (long term inactive) contracts, and those will hurt if you end up with too many and they become a significant percentage.

 

Private feedback of 77% is shockingly low so you really, really need to up your game.

 


Okay, I get it, I'll try to get up.

 

But honestly, Upwork has to try to review things. You have customers who tell you congratulations when you work for them, but who leave you with bad ratings behind. In any case, that is what I notice.
I have already had customers who told me "very well" when I did their work, but who, to my great surprise, left me 4.xx score at the end of the contract, without me knowing why. For some, I understood, but there are many I never knew why.
But even when I consider that I deserve the 4.XX, I have trouble understanding that a client who rated me 4+ in public does not want to recommend me. It's like he smiles at me and shoot me in the back.
For example, my lowest score is 4.30. However, I am told that 23% of my clients do not recommend me. And the worst part is, I don't know who they are? And I don't know what they blame me for. I believe that when you give 4+ as a score, you can't say you don't recommend. That's not honest.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2102 of 2,562

Enan Modeste Igor W wrote:


But even when I consider that I deserve the 4.XX, I have trouble understanding that a client who rated me 4+ in public does not want to recommend me. It's like he smiles at me and shoot me in the back.


Enan, welcome to human psychology. There are many reasons why the recommended score has been created. One of the reasons is that, as you discovered it, clients are not always willing to leave honest public feedback and sometimes it's because they don't want to hurt someone freelance profile with a bad feedback. Even though they are unhappy with the work.

 

But also because some freelancers, not you, of course, but less scrupulous ones, don't hesitate to pester clients and even to threaten them for good public feedback. So there is a question that Upwork asks and keeps for themselves about what the client thinks of the freelancer. The same way they ask you how likely you would recommend the client. And they are not disclosing these answers to the other party.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Active Member
Enan Modeste Igor W Member Since: Sep 29, 2017
2103 of 2,562

Rene K wrote:


clients are not always willing to leave honest public feedback and sometimes it's because they don't want to hurt someone freelance profile with a bad feedback. Even though they are unhappy with the work.


No, but if you are not satisfied with someone's work, you let them know. He will know what to expect and above all he will be able to improve if he is conscious. If not, it will leave the area and clear the way for those who want to work. It's simple.

 

But when you say "it's okay" to the person in public and "I don't recommend" in private, no matter how much you don't want to hurt the person's profile in public, you do it anyway. It's just that the freelancer won't know it's you. Honestly, I think it's bad. It doesn't help.

 

Personally, I think Upwork should tell customers, if you give 4+ as a public rating, you can't say in private that you don't recommend.

 

For example, it affects me and I'm starting to lose confidence. When a customer closes a contract, even when I know that everything went well, I am tempted to leave him a bad appreciation in private, because I don't know if he will do it or not. Seriously.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2104 of 2,562

Enan Modeste Igor W wrote:

For example, it affects me and I'm starting to lose confidence. When a customer closes a contract, even when I know that everything went well, I am tempted to leave him a bad appreciation in private, because I don't know if he will do it or not. Seriously.


This is total BS. And your rant about the private feedback makes is that you are totally missing the main point here: 23% of your clients were dissatisfied. Period.

Oh, you would rather that in addition to expressing their dissatisfaction privately, they leave a bad feedback on your profile? So it looks even worse than just with a bad JSS? Is it what you want?

Who the frak cares about what clients should or shouldn't do or if people are not honest about their feelings or whatnot! The one and only take-home point here is this figure: 23% not happy.

So instead of complaining about the way the thermometer is made, you should sit and think about what you can do to improve and to deliver even better results to people who hire you.

Okay, while I was writing this I had a look at your profile and portfolio. You are selling written content in French, very well. You can definitely spell and your grammar is correct, no issues there, which on Upwork is almost a little miracle. You're a native speaker of French. However, if I have hired you, I would probably give you a 4/5 for any of the pieces that you have in your portfolio.

You need to work on your writing. It's okay for clients who are not native speakers, or who don't expect much for the price, but you have a nice potential for improvement and this is great news. I wouldn't be saying this if you were a cr@ppy writer. You're not, but you really need to put some work into your technique and your style. It doesn't always sound good and I'm sure you already know it.

You can totally improve and you can kick asses. It will take some time and work, but you'll get there.

 

 

 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2105 of 2,562

Enan Modeste Igor W wrote:

Rene K wrote:


clients are not always willing to leave honest public feedback and sometimes it's because they don't want to hurt someone freelance profile with a bad feedback. Even though they are unhappy with the work.


No, but if you are not satisfied with someone's work, you let them know. He will know what to expect and above all he will be able to improve if he is conscious. If not, it will leave the area and clear the way for those who want to work. It's simple.

 

But when you say "it's okay" to the person in public and "I don't recommend" in private, no matter how much you don't want to hurt the person's profile in public, you do it anyway. It's just that the freelancer won't know it's you. Honestly, I think it's bad. It doesn't help.

 

Personally, I think Upwork should tell customers, if you give 4+ as a public rating, you can't say in private that you don't recommend.

 

For example, it affects me and I'm starting to lose confidence. When a customer closes a contract, even when I know that everything went well, I am tempted to leave him a bad appreciation in private, because I don't know if he will do it or not. Seriously.


In addition to what Rene said, it's worth noting that a necessary skill for long-term success as a freelancer is being able to interpret a client's non-verbal cues that they are less than 100% satisfied. It's challenging at best, and in an onine environment where you are working with someone you've never met in person, it can be extremely difficult. But it's a skill worth cultivating and intertwines with another that's also essential: being able and willing to learn from experience. This means reflecting on past jobs, good and bad, examining what went well and what could have gone better. Find the things you want to replicate and the things you want to avoid repeating. If you get in the habit of doing that, and follow Rene's advice to work hard on your writing, then you'll prosper. Good luck!

Active Member
Mohamed M Member Since: May 12, 2019
2106 of 2,562
All of the jobs I have is 5 star rated. and the Clients who would recommend me is 100%. I have only 1 active contract for about 2 weeks. I don't know why my JSS dropped suddenly from 100% to 94%. it is so discouraging to do everything you can to guarantee clients satisfaction and then get hit by the JSS drop. Ain't 100% of Clients would recommend me means that private feedback is perfect? what could have caused the drop?
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2107 of 2,562

Clearly, a client gave you less than perfect private feedback.  

Active Member
Mohamed M Member Since: May 12, 2019
2108 of 2,562

shouldn't it reflect the percentage of clients who would recommend me? and if it is not low enough why would it affect the JSS that much?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2109 of 2,562

Mohamed M wrote:

shouldn't it reflect the percentage of clients who would recommend me? and if it is not low enough why would it affect the JSS that much?


The "clients who would recommend you" metric does not update after every contract. If your JSS has recently dropped, your "Clients who would recommend" rating might still sit at 100% even though a client left poor private feedback, but it is not yet showing on your "Clients who would recommend" metric.

 

The other factor that might have done it is contracts which never had anything earned under them and stayed open for either more than a couple of months, or closed with nothing ever paid under them and no or poor private feedback, or were fully refunded with no or poor private feedback.

 

Active Member
Kaushik N Member Since: Mar 21, 2019
2110 of 2,562

Hello,

I successfully completed 8 contracts with 5 stars rating and 1 bad outcome from the irresponsible client as 3.95 stars.

I want to know why my job score falls from 100% to 77%.

I want to review my job score again.

 

Thanks

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS