Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
2301 of 2,389

The question one should ask is; "What are we paying UpWork for?" 

Like in my example case above, what do I get out of this job and what does the client get?

I get an undeserved negative private rating which causes my JSS to drop with no chance of arguing my case. I lose money because of the lower rating I will get fewer jobs.

The client gets what he paid for, a perfectly written website that is fully SEO optimized and much-improved search result positions which will lead to more business/money.

UpWork gets their substantial cut of my money - - Fact is, UpWork is burning good freelancers with this system and they just don't care, which in the long run will lead to UpWorks demise.

Community Leader
2302 of 2,389

I'm also quite confident that most clients don't know that the private rating has an effect on the freelancers' score 

Community Leader
Fabio D Member Since: Feb 19, 2015
2303 of 2,389

So AGAIN, I only have 5 stars, and just cancelled a job with a client because he was a pain in the *ss (including phone calls at 5AM, that just made it). I didn't charge him a cent, just let him keep the work.

So... my Success Rate got from 100 to 97.... even though in the same period I got 2 5 stars ratings.

Since building algorithms is my bread and butter, so to speak, I tried to figure out how the hell this happened and what are you taking in consideration, and couldn't find any reasonable answer (reasonable being teh keyword). Yes, I could find some possible SCARY algorithms, but I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and think this is just another one of your mistakes. I know the value of work and workers for Upwork is really low, as demonstrated time and time again, but I really need a reaaaaaaaally good explanation on why was I punished for doing amazing work. I won't hold my breath, of course, but maybe, JUST MAYBE, some day someone will realize how ridiculous this is

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2304 of 2,389

re: "So... my Success Rate got from 100 to 97..."

97 is an EXCELLENT Job Success Score.

I don't see that there is anything "to fix."

re: "I didn't charge him a cent, just let him keep the work."

Okay. But if you didn't charge him anything, that does not remove the impact of any feedback (including private feedback) that he gave you. And by NOT charging him anything, you caused there to be a "zero-pay contract," which DOES have negative impact on JSS.

You did great work for a client.

The client was (to use your words): "a pain in the *ss".

Clearly you and this client were NOT a good match.

Not every freelancer is meant to work with every client. You and that client were NOT on the same page with regards to your expectations.

It sounds like the client was disappointed in you and probably gave you lower feedback.

Was that fair?

Absolutely nobody at Upwork is saying that is fair.

But despite such a setback, you are still a great freelancer with a great JSS.

As I'm sure you would agree, there is no way for the Upwork JSS computer algorithms to always figure out how to adjust a freelancer's score when something "unfair" has happened. JSS is not calculated by an all-knowing, all-wise deity. JSS is calculated by lines of computer code written by very imperfect people who are simply trying to implement ideas their managers have asked them to implement. Those ideas are based on Upwork's own research about what things indicate positive versus negative outcomes for clients. It is all VERY limited and VERY imperfect.

I feel like the system is working well for you.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
2305 of 2,389

A job with no money paid affects a freelancers JSS. Also a job with a negative PRIVATE feedback also impacts a freelancers JSS. 

Community Leader
2306 of 2,389

anything and everything has a negative impact on a freelancers JSS - if your dog farts it will impact your JSS 

Mine is going to hell soon. I have an Indian client who booked me for 20 hours/week 3+ months and I have been re-writing his website incl. content SEO - his text-heavy site was written either by himself or a fellow countryman with sentences that made no sense at all, thousands of Grammar problems etc etc etc and I have kept him abreast of my work daily and as of today he starts complaining about the cost 

I never use manual time by the way, all is on the clock and 20 hours/week

Here is his comment: Problem is simply, I had not budgeted this many dollars for the SEO work. I did not look at the time sheet, till I saw the bill. - 

Well that is it because I will refuse to reduce his bill since I did the work without fail, but there goes my JSS down the f... drain

Ace Contributor
Mrityunjay K Member Since: Jul 23, 2018
2307 of 2,389

Can the Upwork Community help me by telling me the reason behind the sudden decrement in my JSS?

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
2308 of 2,389

It looks like you had a job with no public feedback given, but they probably left negative private feedback and that's what has affected your JSS. (Not sure why the decline would be "sudden" though, if the job finished in April - perhaps others will have better insights than I.)

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2309 of 2,389

Christine A wrote:

It looks like you had a job with no public feedback given, but they probably left negative private feedback and that's what has affected your JSS.

Jobs with no feedback do not affect the JSS at all unless no money waspaid or someone has an insane percentage of such contracts.

Mrityunjay K wrote:

Can the Upwork Community help me by telling me the reason behind the sudden decrement in my JSS?

It would appear that you had a contract (or more?) either end with no money ever paid (cancelled or fully refunded,) or open for 2-3+ months and nothing (ever) paid.

Ace Contributor
Mrityunjay K Member Since: Jul 23, 2018
2310 of 2,389

So how come one project which is paused by the client can affect my JSS by 8%?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS