cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Meagan D Member Since: Jun 17, 2016
21 of 5,618

Hello! This question has probably been asked a lot before, but I'm going to ask it again! Because I like direct answers! Smiley Happy 

So, I recently became a Top Freelancer and finally got my job success score. I was excited because I saw it was 100%. A week or two ago I looked again and saw that it was 90%. Now I checked my profile and all my ratings were 5 stars. No one gave me a bad review. 

Why did my score drop from 100% to 90%? 

I do have one job that has been open for what seems like forever. (It started in like July 2016?) The client never closed it in case they wanted to contact me again, even though the job is technically completed. Is it because of this?

Or is it because I recently just started another contract with a repeat client? That job is in progress too because it is recent.

Not sure why this affects my score if it has something to do with any of the above possibilities.

I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks! 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
22 of 5,618

Hi Meagan,

Please note that in addition to public feedback your clients leave, they also leave private feedback (as you do for your clients) which is included in the Job Success Score calculation. Also, open contract which haven't had any activity in a while can affect the score negatively, so we advise users to work with their clients and close inactive contracts to prevent the possible negative effect.

Highlighted
Aleksandar A Member Since: Oct 16, 2016
23 of 5,618

Hi Vladimir!

I have similar problem, one open contract since july 2016., and unresponsive client. I tried to contact him, ask him to close contract and leave feedback, but no response from him. My JSS was 100%, but now is 96%, maybe because this contract is still open, and no payments since july 2016?

I'm affraid if I close contract, that my JSS will get worse, due to lack of feedback? What should I do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
24 of 5,618

@Vladimir G wrote:
so we advise users to work with their clients and close inactive contracts to prevent the possible negative effect.

this is very irritating feature to be punished for clients inactivity for fixed cost jobs, instead of delivering just a good job for an agreed account - freelancer, me, has to distract to activities are not paid off, just taking time and consuming CNS potential. Validate feedback, ensure escrow, which doesn't mean much, because of million reasons, disturb client, talk to support. Do i have to do extra pushups? Dance around with tambourine?  Who invented this?

Client may need to have time to validate results and come back with dicussion and get suggestion. But UW bangs you in a head with JSS drop which will be evaluated within 2 week period. 

Please don't reference private feedback here, i don't believe it should influence much. Again, there is no clear understanding and rules to play, there are vague recommendations: it may, possible that, etc.

Now tell me, who is the devil? (c)

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 5,618

Mike, Aleksandar and Pascal,

It's very important that freelancers don't only deliver high quality work on contracts they accepted but also communicate with their clients professionally, manage their expectations and stay on top of the process. That's why while one contract without feedback isn't going to affect JSS, a pattern of such contracts can. Similarly, if you don't expect more work on a contract any time soon, it's better to ask the client to close them.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
26 of 5,618

@Valeria K wrote:

Mike, Aleksandar and Pascal,

It's very important that freelancers don't only deliver high quality work on contracts they accepted but also communicate with their clients professionally, manage their expectations and stay on top of the process. That's why while one contract without feedback isn't going to affect JSS, a pattern of such contracts can. Similarly, if you don't expect more work on a contract any time soon, it's better to ask the client to close them.

i had to use UW support to reach out client to move on projects, actually, flooding him with 'Please review and close contract' in polite manner, so i don't think i have more influence on a contract in such circumstances. Do you think it is fair? I don't, UW REALLY failed to make correct stat in this case. I am always on top of communication, but thank you UW for showing me where my place is. As i said, too much facelifting and uneeded activity needed instead of just delivering a good work and it is for an extra fee.

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
27 of 5,618

Mike, I like your pushups and tambourines idea. It's as logical as solution as any I've heard. Please let us know if it works. Thanks in advance...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
28 of 5,618

Hi Vladimir

you said :  open contract which haven't had any activity in a while can affect the score negatively, so we advise users to work with their clients and close inactive contracts to prevent the possible negative effect.

Why does Upwork let it happen? dont you see that something is wrong? why dont you fix it?

letting a client go without a leaving a feedback is not good for everyone, what is the point here?

thank you

Pascal

Highlighted
Aleksandar A Member Since: Oct 16, 2016
29 of 5,618

How to contact unrensponsive client? Why irresponsible customers also not be punished in some way?

Highlighted
Community Guru
30 of 5,618

@Aleksandar A wrote:

How to contact unrensponsive client? Why irresponsible customers also not be punished in some way?

it depends, my final try would be contacting UW support and asking them to nudge client politely, Sometimes they just getting busy and need time to get back, sometimes they are have no intention to pay.

But an issue is that UW cloaks client identity and doesn't put any valuable constraint on them, giving them a freedom of do what ever they like to, as in result lowering the quality of listing and jobs here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS