cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Andrei V Member Since: Aug 3, 2020
4791 of 5,368
Hello, I started with Upwork 6 months ago and today my JSS was updated to 75% (it was 100% previously).

So far I've only gotten 5 star reviews (don't think I've gotten any bad private feedback) and I've just taken on my biggest client a week ago.

I have quite a few open contracts where no payment has been received (due to clients moving slowly or long discussions). Specifically:

13 total contracts
1 open with 1 milestone completed
5 open with no payment received
7 closed with 5 star reviews

I want to ask if these open contacts are the issue behind my JSS dipping and if closing or completing milestones in them before the next update in 2 weeks will improve my JSS? I will most likely not be taking on any new work within the next weeks, because I am busy with what I have.

Thank you,
Andrei
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4792 of 5,368

Andrei V wrote:
I have quite a few open contracts where no payment has been received (due to clients moving slowly or long discussions). Specifically:

13 total contracts
1 open with 1 milestone completed
5 open with no payment received
7 closed with 5 star reviews

How long have those been open? Anything over 60 days is hitting your JSS. NEVER accept a contract you can't get started with and get paid "something" within the first few weeks-

Highlighted
4793 of 5,368

There are 3 which are open from the end of May (COVID has hit the construction industry hard and they've gotten benched) and 2 which are from June (1 one of them will be closed next week at the latest, the other one will have milestone completed around the same time).

From those 3, 2 are in the air and 1 will be milestone completed this month.

So that would leave me, worst-case scenario with 2 open. Having said that, would my JSS improve if I reduce this number to 2 contracts (started at end of May, there is a chance 1 will be closed, but I'm not sure about it)?

Thank you for the help!

Highlighted
Community Guru
4794 of 5,368

Andrei V wrote:

There are 3 which are open from the end of May (COVID has hit the construction industry hard and they've gotten benched) and 2 which are from June (1 one of them will be closed next week at the latest, the other one will have milestone completed around the same time).

From those 3, 2 are in the air and 1 will be milestone completed this month.

So that would leave me, worst-case scenario with 2 open. Having said that, would my JSS improve if I reduce this number to 2 contracts (started at end of May, there is a chance 1 will be closed, but I'm not sure about it)?

You need money from those contracts. Currently, anything that is 2+ months old and nothing has been paid ever at all is hurting. There is no way around it, and closing them doesn't help. They hurt your JSS open or closed.

As far as the "dead in the water" contracts are concerned:

If they are fixed rate contracts, submit for payment of $ 1.00 (edit the amount to $ 1.00)

If they are hourly, log 10 minutes of time 

(after discussing it with the clients, of course!)

That will immediately render them harmless as far as the JSS is concerned.

Highlighted
4795 of 5,368

Thank you! Sorry, when I say closed, I mean with money earned, not just closed. Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely use it in the future.

So I would have money coming on to certain degrees on all but 2 of these open contracts.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4796 of 5,368

Andrei V wrote:

So I would have money coming on to certain degrees on all but 2 of these open contracts.

Well, you need money on those too. 

Highlighted
Luca S Member Since: Apr 29, 2020
4797 of 5,368

Good evening,

I'm having a similar problem like the Andrei one, I've already contacted the assistance but now I've found that thread and I would like to share it.

A couple of weeks ago I had:

- 4 completed jobs with 5 star rates.

- 4 open jobs, with payment received and job already completed (all I needed was the client closing it).

I've lost my Rising Talent status, and the JSS was 85%, not enough to apply to the majority of translation projects, that often requires a 90% score.

So, I asked why it was only 85% even with the 5 stars feedbacks, and I was told that the open jobs were affecting my rate.

I've contacted the clients again, had to close a couple of contracts by myself cause they were too busy or unresponsive, and the new situation was:

- 5 completed jobs with 5 star rates.

- 2 completed jobs with no feedback (busy or unresponsive)

- 1 open job, with payment received and job already completed

Last weekend, JSS was recalculated, and to my surprise, my rate has dropped to 84% instead than increase. And now I'm said that the lack of feedbacks could be the problem.

If that's the result, it was better for me to leave those contracts open and wait for the client (without disturbing them).

Why I was told to close them if that wasn't really the main problem?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4798 of 5,368

Luca S wrote:

Last weekend, JSS was recalculated, and to my surprise, my rate has dropped to 84% instead than increase. And now I'm said that the lack of feedbacks could be the problem.

If that's the result, it was better for me to leave those contracts open and wait for the client (without disturbing them).

Why I was told to close them if that wasn't really the main problem?

Chances are the open contracts had nothing to do with it, nor did the "no feedback" contracts. Your issue is NOT similar to Andreii's, because he had not been PAID anything under those idle contracts.

Luca S wrote:

I've lost my Rising Talent status, and the JSS was 85%, not enough to apply to the majority of translation projects, that often requires a 90% score.e.

Not true. You can still apply. It's a preference, not a requirement.

Almost invariably your JSS goes down for one of 2 reasons only

1. less than perfect private feedback.
  2. contracts with nothing ever paid.
Highlighted
Luca S Member Since: Apr 29, 2020
4799 of 5,368

Thanks for the reply Petra,

you're right, situations were probably not that similar, but what's similar is probably the confusion that there's around that score, considering how much freelancers ask for that and that your answers actually negate the ones given by the assistance.

- Why they suggest that open contracts are an issue if that's not true (leading the freelancer to disturb the client or maybe close the contract as I've done, and now I regret?)

- Why they suggest that the lack of feedback is another factor?

(the online guide suggest the same, btw ---> image of JSS  )

I've no unpaid contracts, so the only reason left could be only the private feedback for what you wrote. That leads to another problem: my feedbacks are all 5 stars, and I'm not aware of any client having problems with me, at least in our chats. So:

- how can we improve if we don't even know what's the issue?

- maybe it was a misunderstanding, but we couldn't correct that.

- maybe it was just an error on the private feedback of the client, but it's secret, so we have to accept the decrease in the Score without even know why..

And you're right, a lower than 90% rate doesn't prevent us to apply, but you know better than me that for every job there's a high competition, so a missed preference is almost a "death sentence". We're only wasting paid connects if we apply to those, and as a matter of fact, since the % problem I was not awarded any job, while until I was still a Rising talent I was in a great groove.

There're 480 pages in that thread. I think that such a high number of question/doubts clearly show that something isn't really working right with that system, or that is confusing at least (for everyone, assistance included)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Leonardo F Member Since: Mar 30, 2020
4800 of 5,368

Luca S wrote:

Thanks for the reply Petra,

you're right, situations were probably not that similar, but what's similar is probably the confusion that there's around that score, considering how much freelancers ask for that and that your answers actually negate the ones given by the assistance.

- Why they suggest that open contracts are an issue if that's not true (leading the freelancer to disturb the client or maybe close the contract as I've done, and now I regret?)

- Why they suggest that the lack of feedback is another factor?

(the online guide suggest the same, btw ---> image of JSS  )

I've no unpaid contracts, so the only reason left could be only the private feedback for what you wrote. That leads to another problem: my feedbacks are all 5 stars, and I'm not aware of any client having problems with me, at least in our chats. So:

- how can we improve if we don't even know what's the issue?

- maybe it was a misunderstanding, but we couldn't correct that.

- maybe it was just an error on the private feedback of the client, but it's secret, so we have to accept the decrease in the Score without even know why..

And you're right, a lower than 90% rate doesn't prevent us to apply, but you know better than me that for every job there's a high competition, so a missed preference is almost a "death sentence". We're only wasting paid connects if we apply to those, and as a matter of fact, since the % problem I was not awarded any job, while until I was still a Rising talent I was in a great groove.

There're 480 pages in that thread. I think that such a high number of question/doubts clearly show that something isn't really working right with that system, or that is confusing at least (for everyone, assistance included)

I have a very similar problem. 

You can read my complete question and Petra answer on page 478;

My JSS downed from 95 to 90 without any reason... I think that your answer is perfect and represents my frustration too; 

Since Sunday I didn't receive invites(as it was happening frequently) and don't get any match proposal to jobs.

How can I ask to a review on my JSS? The "algorithm" is a Machine Learning model? If an ML model doesn't have feedbacks it will ever do the same mistakes, and I'm sure that it is an error in my case and in the Luca S case too;

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS