cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Kelly G Member Since: Jul 24, 2020
5251 of 5,531

Hi, I figured out what part of the JSS is confusing and frustrating. As a small freelancer, the "contracts without activity" part should NOT lower my score. I have several clients that have loaded high value milestones and due to COVID-19 and personal life adjustments, and kids and homeschooling and EVERYTHING else we are going through, projects have been paused or work has slowed. My score shouldn't be affected by the Upwork algorithm deciding WHEN "activity" or lack of it is occurring.

Excessive lack of feedback should have NOTHING to do with this score. I can't force clients to leave feedback and likewise not leaving feedback is sometimes wiser than an attempt at something "fake." I REALLY wish Upwork would quit saying "they understand the frustration" and talk to the folks using the platform. Especially us smaller freelancers. The JSS is not considerate and is not reflective of the type of work I'm currently doing. I feel that an 81% JSS is keeping me from getting new work. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Timothy F Member Since: Sep 13, 2018
5252 of 5,531

My feedback was 99% for 2 years. Then in a short space of time, I got 2 bad clients:

- One who expected far more than he was paying and didn't even have clear deliverables. This client set a minuscule milestone, then acted surprised when I didn't write a work of Shakespeare.
- And a second who upon not liking my sample (and me offering a second sample for free) tried to proclaim that he wouldn't pay for any of it because he didn't like the sample, then when I explained (politely and professionally, mind you) that isn't how Upwork works, he ended the contract. 

Both these clients gave me bad feedback and now my 99% is 93%.

Is this simply the way of the world? Should I just accept this? Or is there some way to omit or challenge this feedback?  

Highlighted
Yasir S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
5253 of 5,531

I was once a Rising Talent, then got Top Rated badge with 100% JSS. Now, a client reviewed me and it went all the way down to 83%. I asked UPwork to remove the feedback and it jumped to 87%. It has bene over a month no new jobs have been awarded but I am constantly getting work on hourly and fixed price contracts and now it dropped back to 85%

I have lost the TR badge the moment i went below 90% but seems like its not getting up despite having more reviews, and better longer contracts with existing clients.

I am also not getting any response from the clients when i send them proposals. When I was Rising Talent or Top Rated, i used to get a lot of responses. But that isn't the scene anymore.

I am worried that this might limit my ability to score new jobs and work. Anyone can help?

Highlighted
Cintia S Member Since: Jul 30, 2020
5254 of 5,531
Hi everyone and first of all thanks for reading me.

My name is Cintia and I'm relatively new member here. I've been in the platform for about a month and I'm still in my learning process about how the upwork system works.

So I was super happy cause I was doing great in my first weeks (or so I thought). I got the raising talent badge, I got all my contracts 5 stars feedback (3 of 5, and the other 2 contracts ended without feedback), I'm currently working on a bigger and longer contract, I got great messages from clients...And suddenly my Job Success Score is calculated and it is only 89%. It's so frustrating...

I've been doing my research and I think the reason why I got such a low score might be that I ended a contract before the client did. But I didn't know it was unpolite or not well valorated, it was just a misunderatanding cause I'm new and I thought I was supposed to close it. In fact I spoke to the client after that and apologized to him and he told me it was fine, and he would open a new contract when the time comes because we plan to keep working together.

I don't know if there is something that I could possibly do to solve this. I just contacted the support team and attached some evidences, my conversations with the client, etc. I've been working really hard from the beginning and I hope they are fair enough to at least take a look at my case.

I would really appreciate and honest opinion here. Should I be doing something else? Or is this hopeless?

Thank you and best regards.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5255 of 5,531

Ending the contract yourself has no impact on your JSS. However, when the client ends the contract they are prompted to leave feedback. Thus, if you had allowed your clients to end your contracts, you would have feedback on those contracts (as opposed to no feedback). 

Don't overcomplicate your discussion with clients by chasing after feedback or involving them in your JSS issues. Clients don't come to Upwork to give freelancers scores, they are here to get their work done. 

Upwork is not going to adjust your JSS because you think it should be higher. That's not how feedback and scoring works. 

Highlighted
Cintia S Member Since: Jul 30, 2020
5256 of 5,531
Ok thank you for your honest response. I will be working hard to raise it I guess!
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Frank M Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
5257 of 5,531

I have been a Top Rated User for most of the last few years. Since March I have done 40 jobs, 27 of which were 5 star rated, 12 no feedback was given and one was 4.25 stars.. So two weeks ago I lost my top rated status. What gives? This ranking makes no sense.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
5258 of 5,531

Why do you have so many "No feedback given" projects? 

Amidst all that, I noticed a 4.2. My guess is private feedback combined with the JSS window AND you are one of the few freelancers where "no feedback given" is truly a significant portion.  Are you closing projects yourself instead of letting clients close them, which forces them to leave feedback? 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Frank M Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
5259 of 5,531

Some people don't leave feedback and I don't really pay attention to it. Many clients don't close projects. I was told by Upwork that open projects with no activity negatively affect your score and that you should close them.

I had 27 out of 28 rated projects at 5 stars and you point to the one project rated 4.2???? Seriously? Why should no feedback affect your score? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5260 of 5,531

Frank M wrote:

I had 27 out of 28 rated projects at 5 stars and you point to the one project rated 4.2???? Seriously? Why should no feedback affect your score? 

There are ultimately 2 things that have a negative effect on the JSS:

1. Contracts that never lead to any earnings (canceled, fully refunded, opened 2+ months ago but nothing ever paid)

2. Contracts with poor private (!) feedback. The stars don't mean much. "No feedback" contracts are missed opportunities to get good feedback, so you want to encourage clients to close out contracts after the work was done, while they are still invested. If the client closes the contract, they WILL give feedback.

Frank M wrote:

I was told by Upwork that open projects with no activity negatively affect your score 

Open contracts with money paid in the past have no negative (or any) effect unless you have an insane number of such contracts. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS