Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
5651 of 5,754
You have no job success score yet, unless you have a second account somewhere? You also claim to be top-rated in your profile title, even though everyone can see that you don't have the top-rated badge.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5652 of 5,754

Jennifer M wrote:

Eileen D wrote:

The job scoring is really unfair.  I have completed one job with Upwork and won a second one which ended up being cancelled by the client because they no longer required it to be done. This has ended up with me getting a low job score on my account.

I am paying for a premium account - but it is a total waste of money while Upwork are literally warning clients against me with their unfair and inaccurate job scoring system.  So, I lose and Upwork loses because they have left me with no choice but to cancel my premium account - as it is just wasting money.

where do you see a job score on your profile?

Maybe its in invisible ink, right next to where it says she's "Top Rated"

Hey other been around awhile freelancers, do you suppose there's some group or video guru out there telling people that they'll get more jobs if they pay for premium? People keep mentioning it. 🤔

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
5653 of 5,754

Tonya P wrote:

Hey other been around awhile freelancers, do you suppose there's some group or video guru out there telling people that they'll get more jobs if they pay for premium? People keep mentioning it. 🤔

I was wondering that myself. People keep using words like "premium" and "upgrade" when referring to the plus plan. Probably some dodgy YouTuber is misleading people again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5654 of 5,754

Eileen D wrote:

This has ended up with me getting a low job score on my account.

As the others have said: You do not have a low score at all. You don't have any score because you haven't done enough jobs to get one (4+ completed contracts with 3+ different clients) Where in the world do you get the idea from that you have "a low score?"

Eileen D wrote:

I am paying for a premium account 

What doe that have to do with anything?

Eileen D wrote:

Upwork are literally warning clients against me with their unfair and inaccurate job scoring system.  

How are Upwork doing that? Given that you don't have a score with which to warn anyone away?

Eileen D wrote:

So, I lose and Upwork loses because they have left me with no choice but to cancel my premium account 

What do you mean? How do you have "no choice"?

And yes,as has been mentioned, reemove the "Top Rated" thing. It's false advertising and looks a bit ridiculous because clients can see at first glance that it isn't true.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
5655 of 5,754

Eileen D wrote:

The job scoring is really unfair.  I have completed one job with Upwork and won a second one which ended up being cancelled by the client because they no longer required it to be done. This has ended up with me getting a low job score on my account.

I am paying for a premium account - but it is a total waste of money while Upwork are literally warning clients against me with their unfair and inaccurate job scoring system.  So, I lose and Upwork loses because they have left me with no choice but to cancel my premium account - as it is just wasting money.

What Jen, Tonya, Christine and Petra said. I would only add my opinion that your characterization of the JSS system as "unfair" is nonsense. If you want to think about it in terms of fairness, there are hundreds of thousands of us freelancers who have worked hard to establish and maintain high JSS's within the existing system. How fair would it be to us, to modify it in order to make it easier for newcomers? It's a condition of the platform. Decide whether or not UW is a good fit for your business, offering a worthwhile ROI for your time and effort. If it is, learn to work with the conditions or don't. It's totally your choice. Fairness doesn't enter into it.

Highlighted
ABM M Member Since: Nov 24, 2016
5656 of 5,754

Hi,

I have/ had some clients who don't/ didn't close after completing the task/ milestone. I can ask them to close immidiately but some other milestone might come, this is why I do not ask them to close. So the job becomes idle for long time (After some period of idle time i knocked them, but no reply). As far I know idle job affects JSS. I can close the job by myself but a job without rating and feedback also affect the JSS score ( I already did for some job).

It feels really bad having no rating and feedback though primium quality was delivered.

In this scenario what should I do? Could anybody please provide better suggestion?

BR//

ABM M**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
5657 of 5,754

Hi ABM,

You can close the contracts from your end, but do not close all of them right away. Try closing them one at a time. I understand that you are concerned about your JSS as these contracts do not have any feedback left by clients. You can focus on finishing smaller fixed price contracts and do well on them so that you get positive feedback to help improve your JSS as they will be included in your calculation a little bit faster. Thank you.

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
ABM M Member Since: Nov 24, 2016
5658 of 5,754

Thanks for the suggestion, I will follow that.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Kate R Member Since: Dec 5, 2016
5659 of 5,754

I have had a number of these.  It is too bad it knocks our JSS as all the times this has happened to me, the clients have seemed very pleased with my work and they were positive experiences.  But, they dissapear. I worried about the effect on my JSS, but I just close them spaced out one at a time, and I really didn't notice any bad effect.  I always think Upwork needs to re-visit this. Usually, if people are unahppy with something they leave feedback!  No feedback and disappearing clients doesn't seem like something we should be dinged for.  But, hopefully, it won't effect your JSS too much.Best of luck!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5660 of 5,754

Sigh. This old chestnut again.

Contracts that go idle do not hurt your JSS provided that at some point money was paid under the contract and you don't have a really high percentage of such contracts.

The exact same thing is true for contracts that close without feedback.

They also do not hurt your JSS provided that at some point money was paid under the contract and you don't have a really high percentage of such contracts.

Of course in an ideal world you encourage clients to end contracts so you don't end up with a bunch of idle and / or "no feedback" contracts, but within normal parameters it simply isn't an issue.

If they have piled up a bit, start closing them one by one, starting with the oldest, spaced out (Not all at once.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS