Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
51 of 5,618

@Laura-Ann B wrote:

Hi there, I've closed one contract that's been paused for many months. I have two contracts that were paused the other day but these are relatively new clients and I know they'll be getting back to me shortly, I don't want to bother them. Do you think the closed contract will raise my score again?

Closing the "comatose" contract may help, yes. Contracts that have only been inactive a month or two will not affect your JSS YET, but it really is good practice to get clients to end contracts when the work is done and there isn't anything in the immediate pipeline. Life and business move on for clients, they may change direction, change jobs, abandon projects or start new ones, go bust, find other people, or get run over by a bus.

The longer a contract lies dormant, the less likely it will come back to life. It is NO more hassle to rehire a favorite former freelancer than to unpause a stale contract.

The best time to get enthusiastic feedback from a happy client is immediately after you've delivered great work. Months after the client may hardly remember who you are and what you've done.

Highlighted
Artashes H Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
52 of 5,618

Hello all,

Yesterday I checked my jss and see that it is 79, before was 100 and top rated status. I don't know why during last two weeks it decreased from 100 to 79. During this time I had not closed contracts with low rates, and had active contracts , on which had worked. Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
53 of 5,618

Did you issue any refunds to a client? Any old contracts still open even though the job is complete?

Highlighted
Anurag P Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
54 of 5,618

Some time client want to hold the open contract then it will count as negative??

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
55 of 5,618

@Anurag P wrote:

Some time client want to hold the open contract then it will count as negative??

If contracts are inactive for a long time, then they will indeed affect your JSS negatively.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Fanny K Member Since: Dec 10, 2016
56 of 5,618

Is there a page which explains this in proper detail? As in, how long can an open contract be inactive for before it starts affecting your JSS? And how is the JSS weighted from feedback? And how many percentage points can be taken away if you close a contract as a freelancer?

It's quite frustrating not knowing how it's calculated (I have read all guides I could find, but they don't include any exact information). And to be penalized by inactive or unresponsive clients - how could a freelancer possibly affect that, other than to close the contract themselves, which they will also be penalized for??

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Radmila M Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
57 of 5,618
We will not be penalized if we close the contract. We will be penalized if we have pattern of contract we closed.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Fanny K Member Since: Dec 10, 2016
58 of 5,618

Right, but what constitutes a pattern? I just want to know how it actually works, and all the information I can find is so vague.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Radmila M Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
59 of 5,618

Fanny, 

THAT is a mystery and no one knows how it actually works 😆. You have probably already read this, but let me repeat in case you didn't. It can be safe to close inactive contracts once in between 3-4 successful jobs without impact on your JSS. And you should do that. Because inactive ones will hurt your JSS eventually so better close them when it is convenient for you, before they start hurting your JSS. 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
60 of 5,618

Hi Fanny,

We can't share all the details about the Job Success Score's calculation in order to protect its integrity. I'd advise you to focus on delivering great work to your clients and politely asking them to end your contract when submitting final work, which will ensure you receive feedback in the majority of cases. Your clients can easily rehire you once they require your services again, so there's no need to keep a completed contract open if immediate work is not available. Note that managing contract and clients' experience is as important as delivering work in line with their requirements, not only for the sake of the score but for the overall success of a freelancer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS