Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Fanny K Member Since: Dec 10, 2016
61 of 5,629

Well, I've done all of those things and more, and while I'm ok with my score, I have no way of knowing if it will drop or increase since the calculations behind it are secret. I find that very strange. How does that protect the "integrity" of the JSS?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
62 of 5,629

@Fanny K wrote:

Well, I've done all of those things and more, and while I'm ok with my score, I have no way of knowing if it will drop or increase since the calculations behind it are secret. I find that very strange. How does that protect the "integrity" of the JSS?

Because dishonest freelancers would "game" the system, just like they did with the five star rating system. Many clients were complaining that the ratings were wrong. Freelancers would badger clients to change a bad feedback, refund to get it off their profile. Used to a freelancer could refund and refund and their profile would look like they were a five start freelancer when in fact a lot of the work had been refunded to avoid bad feedback.

So Upwork had to implement JSS and keep some of the algorithm secret so it would be harder for freelancers to "game" the system.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
63 of 5,629

Right, but it's not possible to change feedback (unless you're top rated and can get a single rating taken off, every few months or something like that), so that shouldn't be a problem. My feeling is that, if the actual numbers can't be shared, they don't properly represent the kind of work the freelancer does. If you get good feedback, while retaining long-term clients who would recommend you, and do everything by the book, you should have a top rating. While I understand how people could have cheated the system, the JSS has so many components, how could you get a good score without a solid performance?

Highlighted
Aleksandar A Member Since: Oct 16, 2016
64 of 5,629

As far as I know, under new rules, every single contract which is inactive longer than one month, is automatically paused by Upwork.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Daniel C Member Since: Jul 22, 2016
65 of 5,629

I don't undestand why Upwork doesn't simply force clients to leave feedback once the contract is closed by the freelancer. Why is it such a hard thing to implement? Why do I have to ask unresponsive clients to close contract and/or leave feedback?

Why doesn't Upwork simply change this? Everybody knows this is a problem. It is a waste of time. Blaming freelancers for not "communicating with the client" is offensive. Do you really think freelancers are the problem here and that we should learn with "veterans" how to communicate with clients? This is nonsense. Just fix this already!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
66 of 5,629

It is a real problem. I'm a full-time freelancer, providing feedback for all my clients within 24 hours - without fail. But I get penalized for their lack of communication? I can't even imagine how many "can you please close the contract"-messages I have sent.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
67 of 5,629

It is ridiculous to say that allowing for a client to leave no feedback at all on a project would open the way to someone "gaming the system."

And, if "gaming the system" by some freelancers is a really a major problem, address the problem Upwork. Penalizing the large majority of your freelancers who are honest is not a solution to YOUR problem.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Randall B Member Since: Sep 1, 2015
68 of 5,629

So I've seen my JSS score drop over the last couple months with no contracts closed. I've been working on the same contracts for months but my score dropped about 3 points and I'm down to 92 and a bit panicked.

One client I've been working for for about six months disappeared for about a month, came back and I've been billing him steadily since, but the drop in score never recovered.

I have one contract that is open, fixed price and I got paid half on the first milestone, but the client's client decided to drop the project and he moved on to another company and another city. I may still have a current email.....can he help me close this withoug damage? The contract is just sitting there......is this hurting my score?

When I go through the help channels here, they just repeat the same thing ad nauseum without addressing the specifics.

How can I fix this without dropping below 90?

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
69 of 5,629

Randall, why don't you excercise the top rated feedback removal perk, and have the 3.00 feedback removed? Of course, if you already used the perk within the last 3 months or last 10 jobs, then you're out of luck.

Randall B Member Since: Sep 1, 2015
70 of 5,629

How do I do this? I really should read those emails lol.....

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS