cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

picarusslim
Gareth H Member Since: Jan 15, 2018
1 of 31

I've seen plenty of posts on this but i'm still baffled - but sorry for the 'same old JSS' post.

I've completed 3 jobs. 5 stars. Yet i have 88% positive feedback.

Practically every job I apply for (I'm a photographer, so work is limited on here as I obviously need to find people locally) requires 90% positive feedback...so I automatically get filtered out. 

Since my JSS I've had zero responses to bids i've submitted, not one.  Why read a red flag bid when you can go with the green ones?? 

Since a feedback system is based off how good you are at your job, client communication, etc, I'm feeling a bit agrieved that my profile displays unhappy clients.....when i have NONE. They're all happy.  Not one bad job.  How is this okay?  I'm paying for a service that is penalising me for no reason whatsoever.

Upwork's response to my query was a link to their JSS page. Which isn't helpful at all.  Am i missing something?

Thanks

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 31

Hi Gareth,

Keep in mind that private feedback is included in the calculation for JSS as well. Job Success Score is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months windows, as contracts get pushed out of this windows your score will be affected by the contracts that are left in this windows.

If you would like to read more details about this check out this Help Article.

~ Goran
Upwork
picarusslim
3 of 31

Thanks for your response.

I've done three jobs. All 5 stars.

I have no other jobs on.    On one occasion i accepted a contract for product photography only for the client to suddenly ask for more work (it went from two hours or so in a park photographing  a dog with a light up collar for $50 to three days work in several different locations with night and day time lighting...and he refused to offer extra money. I would have lost money on petrol, had to cancel other jobs etc etc. THe work he asked for was worth no less than $350. He explained htis an he politely closed the job down)

I have no other contracts or jobs.

If i've been penalised for the aboce then that's grossly unfair, not to mention ridiculous. Upwork don't think it's okay to change the goalposts after a contract is submitted, do they?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 31

The cancelled contract counts as well. That‘s what did it.

the good news is that with so few jobs you will get back above 90% really quickly.

picarusslim
5 of 31

Thanks

It hasn't changed in the last 6 months. I've barely bidded in that duration, mostly because it seems like a complete waste of time.

petra_r
Community Guru
6 of 31

@Gareth H wrote:

Thanks

It hasn't changed in the last 6 months. I've barely bidded in that duration, mostly because it seems like a complete waste of time.

Why would you expect it to change and why would you consider it a waste of time to bid?

The only way it will improve is if you complete jobs successfully. 

picarusslim
7 of 31

"the good news is that with so few jobs you will get back above 90% really quickly."

picarusslim
8 of 31

How do you get jobs when you're under the 90% positive feedback flag that's on every single job? It's not a measure of how good you are or your profile information, is it?

My bids will rarely even be read; because of a feedback system that's flawed.  My response rate was okay before this.

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 31

@Gareth H wrote:

How do you get jobs when you're under the 90% positive feedback flag that's on every single job? It's not a measure of how good you are or your profile information, is it?

My bids will rarely even be read; because of a feedback system that's flawed.  My response rate was okay before this.

Of course you would get jobs. The 90%+ thing is a default preference, not a bidding requirement, and all you need is one that goes really well and you‘d be above the 90%+ again anyway.

Plus the advice to nail down all details of a contract before accepting is not offensive, it is good practice and will help you prevent such situations in future.

picarusslim
10 of 31

It's offensive assuming that i didn't do that already. What you're saying is lunancy tbh.

"I would like you to take photos of my product. One dog, one product. I'll send you it in the post"

"okay. i can do that. What kind of dog, product, shot, etc are you lookign for"

Client agrees what he wants. (and then changes it once the contract is signed). How am i not determining what the job was? 

^not direct quotes^

client explains what he wants, i agree, contract signed.  Then after the fact it's changed from one day of work to  three days, several locations, he wants a glowing dog in the night time (!?!?!?), different products etc etc, he wants a pre-shoot of the dog so he can approve it first. At the time i said the revised fee would be $350. In reality, $1000.   He wants all this for $50. Petrol money alone would cost more than that.

None of this was discussed before the contract.  He issued a contract and then expected me to work at a loss.

The notion that this can happen and i can be penalised for it is beyond ridiculous and grossly illegal. YOU CANNOT CHANGE A CONTRACT AFTER ITS SIGNED UNLESS BOTH PARTIES AGREE TO A REVISION OF JOB DESCRIPTION AND FEE.

He did change it, and i have a right not to work at a loss.  Believe it or not!!  I would have lost a lot of money if i'd have gone a head with that job just to save my feedback.

"Sorry, that work isn't what you intially asked for. it will cost $x extra"

^that's all it takes. Both parties agree a revision or not. That's how it works.  You can't just randomly expect me to do 5 times as much work for the same price after the contract is issued.

If they don't agree then why on earth should i be penalised.  Both parties should be able to agree to not move forward with work, and not be punished for it.

The JSS isn't a measure of skill or ability at all. It's completely flawed. No one reads a bid that doesn't meet the requirements they set themselves.  If i put out an advert for an assistant and it requires they know how to use a camera, but they reply saying they can't use a camera....i'm not employing them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS