Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
11 of 31

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.
I didn't mean to be offensive, I offered an advice for the information you have shared with us.

Unfortunately contracts with no earnings will lead to an impact on your Job success score, you can find more details about this in this Help Article.

You can focus on finishing smaller fixed price projects as they will be included in your calculation little bit faster and depending on the results your Job success Score will be updated.

We regularly review clients profiles and address those that show a history of poor outcomes. Depending on the case, we take action on their account and remove their feedback from their freelancers' Job Success Score calculation.

~ Goran
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 31

@Gareth H wrote:

The JSS isn't a measure of skill or ability at all. It's completely flawed.

What makes you think it's meant to be? It's Job Success Score, not Freelancer Skill Score. If a job goes bad, it wasn't successful--doesn't matter whose fault it was. Upwork is measuring--and is clear about the fact that it's measuring--successful contracts that ended with happy clients. They make no claim that the score has anything to do with your "skill or ability".

picarusslim
Gareth H Member Since: Jan 15, 2018
13 of 31

A review system gives a good or bad impression of a company, person etc based on their ability to do their job, complete a project etc etc. That's what they're for...to help the buyer make a decision...right?

My point is is the JSS isn't an accurate measure.  88% suggests someone has given me bad feedback when they haven't.

It's a pretty fair point. Tbh.  I'm not being unreasonable.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 31

You don't know whether someone has given you bad feedback, since the feedback that really counts isn't visible to you. Chances are very good that the client who ended the contract gave you negative feedback, and others may have left less-than-perfect private feedback as well.

picarusslim
15 of 31

I do know that, thanks

I've since had confirmation from Upwork that this is an issue.

The alarming thing is that regulars on this forum are so jaded with the same kind of complaints that they've start spouted out the same responses without actually taking the individual circumstance into consideration.

I'm within my rights to ask questions about a service I pay for, and if there are so many complaints about the same thing then there is definitely an issue.  This is a good service, but my replies dropped to ZERO the minute my Uprising Talent was removed and the feedback was marked up as 88% positive.  Considering the situation that caused this and that this is my living - i'm entitled to say ask questions about it.

Thanks for the replies.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
16 of 31

Hi Gareth,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you, we are always advising freelancers to negotiate all of the details with their clients and determine the therms in the contract offer sent to you.

To learn how to protect yourself and be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection read this guides: Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers and Hourly Protection for Freelancers.

~ Goran
Upwork
picarusslim
17 of 31

Hold on.

Essentially you're saying a client can put out a job description and contract and then change it once it's accepted.

That's illegal.

Here's an example.  I go to a builders yard to buy some bricks.  Once i've asked about it and signed for it...i can then expect them to build me a house for the same price??? And if they refuse to lose money doing this...they should be penalised?

You can't change a contract and expect someone to work to a loss!!! How on earth can upwork support this?  I accepted $50 of work, not $350.   If the clients needs more work then they change the contract. If they refuse to do this then the job should be closed without the entirely innocent freelancer or client being penalised.

Sorry. But this has nothing to do with a rating system and everythign to do with Upwork pandering to keep clients happy.  I don't have bad feedback. FACT. I've done literally nothing wrong.

88% means i don't get a look in on decent jobs...and it's not because of my ability but an formula that's not fit for purpose.

picarusslim
18 of 31

Sorry, but saying i should be more careful is just insulting.

All i have to go off is their contract.  How can i preempt a client will change that after the fact?

Both freelancer and client should be able to agree to close a contract without negative feedback. I asked the client in question and he says he left no feedbak at all (because there's nothing to feedback on). There was no bad blood between us, he even later contacted me to offer me a job outside upwork.

craiggabriel
Community Leader
Craig G Member Since: Jun 20, 2017
19 of 31

Since both the client (for changing the contract after it had been agreed to) and Upwork (for "penalizing" you for the cancelled contract) have wronged you in ways that are "grossly illegal," perhaps you should contact an attorney.

picarusslim
20 of 31

Helpful.

Thanks for stopping by to offer up the support.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS