🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job Activity - hired
Page options
podcaststudio
Community Member

Job Activity - hired

Often times I'll notice that jobs I've submitted a proposal to, will later display "1 Hired" under job activity.

I'm assuming that "1 hired" means just that, meaning the client hired 1 freelancers.

So then, my question is why then does Upwork still show the options for me to "withdraw proposal"  or "change terms" on a job that's already been filled?

To me this seems to be counter-intuitive behavior for Upwork to display these options on jobs already filled.

Instead,on jobs that freelancers submitted proposals to, when visiting said proposal pages, Upwork should perhaps display in bold type or red font or something very eye grabbing that the "Job Filled".

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

Michael K wrote:

Often times I'll notice that jobs I've submitted a proposal to, will later display "1 Hired" under job activity.

I'm assuming that "1 hired" means just that, meaning the client hired 1 freelancers.

So then, my question is why then does Upwork still show the options for me to "withdraw proposal"  or "change terms" on a job that's already been filled?

To me this seems to be counter-intuitive behavior for Upwork to display these options on jobs already filled.

Instead,on jobs that freelancers submitted proposals to, when visiting said proposal pages, Upwork should perhaps display in bold type or red font or something very eye grabbing that the "Job Filled".

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

Some clients hire 1 freelancer, it doesn't work out and then they hire another freelancer from the pool of submissions they've already received.  Some clients hire more than 1 freelancer from the start (and may indicate this in the job description).  

It is our responsibility as freelancers to review the job in detail including if the client has already hired someone and then determine if we want to use our connects.  

browersr
Community Member

Just because the job is hired doesn't mean it is closed to proposals. Many times clients can leave a job open perhaps because they aren't sure if the freelancer they selected will work out or because they may want to bring on another freelancer. As long as the client hasn't closed the job, your proposal is still active and you therefore have the opportunity to withdraw or revise terms just as if no one is hired. It all comes down to the client decision to keep hiring open for whatever the reason. 

I always leave the number of freelancers sought as one. I think that is the default.

But I might hire 5 or 10 freelancers using the same job posting.

Just because a freelancer has been hired, that doesn't mean that other freelancers won't be hired. There would be not particular benefit to withdrawing your proposal just because you saw that somebody was already hired.

If I know that I am done hiring, then I WILL remove the job posting or make it private, so that no other freelancers will send proposals to the job. Obviously that is what all clients should do.

But not all clients are knowledgeable about the freelancer's side of things. I don't doubt that many clients neglect to close or hide jobs after they are done hiring.

For freelancers... there is no way to know for sure what you're dealing with: A job posting that is still up because a client is still looking for more people to hire... Or a job posting that has been abandoned and for which any proposals will only represent wasted time and wasted connects.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths