cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Cancellations and the Job Success Score

christineemclean
Christine M Member Since: Aug 16, 2017
1 of 5

Jobs can be cancelled for various reasons. I have had to cancel 4 jobs over the past month. The first job I had to cancel because the client was unresponsive and hadn't provided me with all of the necessary information. I had to cancel the others primarily due to a misunderstanding between myself and the clients about the job. WE had discussions prior to the offers being sent and I thought everything was fine. However, that ended up not being the case.

I was a Top Rated Freelancer, but due to these cancellations I immediately lost that status. I fervently believe that job cancellations shouldn't be a part of the metrics for determining Top Rated status. I am an active member of the UpWork community and I work very hard. It is a serious blight to my ability to succeed when I'm not on the Top Rated program. Clients have a requirement of a 90 percent JSS as a part of their requirements for jobs. It's grossly unfair to be so harshly judged by UpWork in order to determine the JSS. 

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
2 of 5

Christine M:

'Clients have a requirement of a 90 percent JSS as a part of their requirements for jobs...'

Sorry about your recent bad experiences. The good bit is you still can clinch good jobs if other clients have given you impressive feedback there before.

Do not be deterred from applying for a job just because it stipulates 90% JSS. There's a way you can frame your cover letter until the client forgets about the JSS factor. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 5

@Christine M wrote:

Jobs can be cancelled for various reasons. I have had to cancel 4 jobs over the past month. The first job I had to cancel because the client was unresponsive and hadn't provided me with all of the necessary information. I had to cancel the others primarily due to a misunderstanding between myself and the clients about the job. WE had discussions prior to the offers being sent and I thought everything was fine. However, that ended up not being the case.

Do you believe the clients would class the experience of the contract as a "great experience?"

Never take on a contract until you have nailed down what it entails and have all you need to actually start working to at least the first milestone or log time for a start.

There really should not be 3 contracts in a month where there was " a misunderstanding between freelancer and the clients about the job"

Cancellations may not always hurt you anyway... but you do know clients get to leave a cancellation reason too, right?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

PS - If this happened in the last two weeks, have you considered removing the JSS impact of one of them from your calculation?

This can ONLY be done by requesting the removal of one contract of your choice from the JSS calculation within 14 days of losing top rated status. Afterwards it's too late.

You are also only eligible if you have not used the perk in the past 3 months and 10 contracts.

christineemclean
Christine M Member Since: Aug 16, 2017
5 of 5

Thank you for that suggestion, but I've used that perk in the last 3 months. Therefore, I wouldn't be eligible.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS