cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Hunting Question

Highlighted
Anggi S Member Since: Jun 20, 2013
1 of 6
Hello, is it possible to get the remote job turn into real world fulltime job through Odesk marketplace? Something that can bring its freelancer to 'another world' or maybe flying to 'wonderland workplace'. California, Arizona, and more. I just read APA infographic about creative working culture on west coast U.S.A. Please kindly share your story. Thank you.
Highlighted
Robert S Member Since: Aug 5, 2011
2 of 6
Not entirely certain what a 'wonderland workplace' is but it is completely possible to build a working relationship with a client through oDesk, that can turn into an off-line job offer. I've had three offers over the past few years (only one from an oDesk client) but the problem with both were either lack of interest in moving to the client's area or lack of interest in doing what I do at the level of freedom that I do it at, in a cubicle.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
3 of 6
Once you get regular work, you can call home anywhere you want! I just got back from 6 months in Cancun and did so entirely from freelancing earnings. Also, it's nice and clean for a client to pay you through one of these platforms for accounting purposes, so it's entirely possible to move to their area if they sponsor you. The laws differ from country to country though, so hard to give specific advice... something you would want to talk to an immigration lawyer about. I also had a potential opportunity to move to Hawaii. (I'm Canadian, so it would mean a company sponsorship). That's the beauty of freelancing, you call the shots and are only limited to country laws. Costa Rica is a great place to call home if you want to explore the tropics. You stay for 90 days, leave for 72 hours, and can come back for another 90 days... no limits, you can do it for years and live there that way if you want. The main thing you gotta keep in mind is health care. That's the only reason why I came back to Canada for a while, we need to stay here 6 months out of the year to retain health care. Travel insurance can be limiting and hospitalization very expensive, even a visit to the Dr for a routine something can cost a couple hundred bucks before meds. If that's not a concern for you, then don't think twice about packing your laptop in a bag and hoping on a plane!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
4 of 6

Quote: That's the beauty of freelancing, you call the shots and are only limited to country laws. 

Woman Happy

I'm thinking of staying 6 month in Costa Rica.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
5 of 6

@Tony H wrote:
Once you get regular work, you can call home anywhere you want! I just got back from 6 months in Cancun and did so entirely from freelancing earnings. Also, it's nice and clean for a client to pay you through one of these platforms for accounting purposes, so it's entirely possible to move to their area if they sponsor you.  I also had a potential opportunity to move to Hawaii. (I'm Canadian, so it would mean a company sponsorship). That's the beauty of freelancing, you call the shots and are only limited to country laws. Costa Rica is a great place to call home if you want to explore the tropics. You stay for 90 days, leave for 72 hours, and can come back for another 90 days... no limits, you can do it for years and live there that way if you want. The main thing you gotta keep in mind is health care. That's the only reason why I came back to Canada for a while, we need to stay here 6 months out of the year to retain health care. Travel insurance can be limiting and hospitalization very expensive, even a visit to the Dr for a routine something can cost a couple hundred bucks before meds. If that's not a concern for you, then don't think twice about packing your laptop in a bag and hoping on a plane!

Tony you need to move to New Brunswick. They allow you to be out of province 8 months of the year. As well, each province has a plan that allow you to live in another country for 1-2 years with full provincial health care coverage. (Up to and including what would have been paid in the province)

We lived at Lago de Chapala in Mexico for 12 years and survived completely on Freelance earnings before returning to Canada 1 1/2 years ago. Freelancing opened up whole new worlds to us.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6
re: "is it possible to get the remote job turn into real world fulltime job through Odesk marketplace?"

Well... Almost anything is "possible". The more appropriate question is: is it likely?

What you are asking is sort of the opposite of what Update is intended for.

Clients list jobs on Upwork because they are interested in working with workers/contractors REMOTELY. If you want to relocate for work, you need to look at job boards and employment resources specific, including general resources and resources local to the area you are interested in working in.

Upwork may provide you with the ability to work remotely from wherever you want that has an Internet connection, but Upwork is not going to help you relocate or find a permanent brick and mortar job, for the most part. Some jobs here can turn into permanent cubicle jobs, but that is not what most contractors here are looking for and it is not this platform's purpose to provide that.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS