🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job I was just hired for got closed due to a ...
Page options
taylorlones
Community Member

Job I was just hired for got closed due to a violation of terms of service?

Hello!

I submitted a proposal for a job and got an invitation to work on the project. I went through an interviewing process via Google Hangouts and got hired. A few hours later, I received an email from Upwork stating that the job has been closed due to compliance issues with Terms of Service. How can I contact someone about what service terms were violated, as I signed an employee contract already for this job posting.

7 REPLIES 7
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Taylor L wrote:

Hello!

I submitted a proposal for a job and got an invitation to work on the project. I went through an interviewing process via Google Hangouts and got hired. A few hours later, I received an email from Upwork stating that the job has been closed due to compliance issues with Terms of Service. How can I contact someone about what service terms were violated, as I signed an employee contract already for this job posting.

You're very lucky that the job was removed, since you were about to fall prey to one of the most common scams on here. Type "scam" or "Google hangouts" into the search box and you'll see how often this occurs. Did you send the "client" any copies of your I.D., such as a passport or driver's license?

re: "How can I contact someone about what service terms were violated, as I signed an employee contract already for this job posting."

You do NOT need to contact anybody.

It is over now.

Those were just scammers.

What you signed was meaningless.

I did send a photo of my I.D., yes..

Taylor L wrote:

Bummer you did.

You oughtn't have.

And, if the client didn't send you an offer through Upwork wherein you accepted and the contract could be seen under "My Jobs" section of your account, you weren't really hired.

Ah, yes, I see that now. 

I'm very new to this website but this is definitely a learning experience.

Is there any other steps I should take besides blocking contact? 

Thank you both for the help. 

Taylor L wrote:

Is there any other steps I should take besides blocking contact? 

First, I am sorry this happened to you.  

Second, you need to consider what information you have provided.  Even with a driver's license you need to be concerned that they can open credit accounts in your name.  I would contact your local police department and ask them what to do.  Even if they don't suggest it I am going to suggest putting a freeze on your credit which I believe has to be done with all three major credit agencies.

Third, being a victim or even nearly a victim sucks.  It can make you feel all kinds of ways about yourself and my suggestion is to realize it happens and the people who do it are just scum.

Fourth, an Upwork employee will hopefully come along with some good links for you to read through about scams. 

Taylor L wrote:

There's no reason for a legitimate client to request your I.D. - that's a good way to become the victim of identity theft. And signing a contract doesn't mean that you've been hired; you only have a job if a client hires you via Upwork with a verified payment method, and (in the case of fixed price contracts) funds the escrow account. 

I think it's important that you spend a few hours reading the "help" section of this website so that you understand how everything works. If you see any more projects like this, use the "flag as inappropriate" button to the top-right of the RFP page, or come back to the forum to ask for advice if you're not sure about something.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths