cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Posting time should be regulated as US freelancers get killed!

Highlighted
Emmanuel A Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
11 of 20

As much as you complain about "third world rate", we are complaining that developing country do not want to employ third world contractor than can be even more efficient. The mind set is that they all deliver low quality jobs and even could have language barrier. Unfortunately for some is that, they refuse to understand that is a market place and once you are talking about the Internet then even **Edited for Community Guidelines** different working groups are advocating for openness. Internet is growing because it is open and competition is influence not only by geographic location.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 20

Hi Ralph,

I just wanted to note that proposals are not sorted by the time they were submitted. Also, we do not have any immediate plans to delay job postings from being immediately published.

Thank you for your feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 20

I have seen many absurd postings in my time here, but this one, I think, takes the cake so far this year.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Dan S Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
14 of 20

I am from Florida. I get up at 4AM every day because I love life and cannot wait to get out of the house and run 2-3 miles before the sun comes up and it gets too hot for my doberman, who loves to run with me. While I'm drinking my morning cup of coffee I look over the projects posted and enter some bids. If you are missing out on jobs because you can't get your lazy butt out of bed then get up at 4AM, go for a run and get to work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
15 of 20

I don't think I've ever seen such a self centered post as this one. 

Truely stunning what some people think.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
16 of 20

Just to add to the general consensus that a global freeelancing site should not in any way intervene in time scedules, because everyone should be treated equally on a global time clock - you should also throw into the pot the fact that every individual is different regardless of where they live. To put it in black and white terms, there are owls and larks.

I'm in UK time, UCT, but I'm sitting here at 3 Am because 2300- 0200 is when I get my best work done after the rest of my life has shut down. Others may get up with the lark and get three hours work done before breakfast. I truly believe this is hard-wired in a person.

The point is that many freelancers (myself included) choose to be freelancers to avoid the the 9 to 5. Which adds to the point that time zone is irrelevant - as long as it is accepted, and timings agreed and understood between client and freelancer.

Highlighted
Breanne C Member Since: Jan 30, 2016
17 of 20

Self-centered opinions aside, why not think about it the other way around, OP? It's a lot easier to communicate with your client if they're in a similar timezone as you, so it actually benefits both the client and the freelancer to have posts go live right away.

Consider this: Let's say that I find a client who's in Budapest, Hungary (UTC +1, CET/Central European Time), while I'm here in Chicago, USA (UTC -6, CST/Central Standard Time). Now, let's say this client has a company that starts its business day at 9:00 and they post the job first thing when they get to the office. Now, I'd be asleep at that time, since it would be 2:00 here. But, let's say I do manage to get the contract and we get to work. After all, at the start of my business day, there would still be 2 hours left for the client's business day. Sure, why not!

Well, you'd think I could just continue working on the task at hand for the rest of my business day so that the client wakes up the next day with a nice surprise to find the task was done while he slept. Well, what if it didn't go so smoothly? What if I needed to reach out to him? The end of my business day falls smack in the middle of his midnight. I'm sure he wouldn't be too happy to be woken up by an alert on his phone while he's sleeping.

Put yourself in this client's situation. Would you want to have to stay up til midnight to make sure someone you hired halfway across the world can get an answer to some question or review a proof/sketch? I sure wouldn't!

Now, if you do want to go after clients in other regions, by all means do so. Just keep in mind that they are your customer. You're catering to them. You need to make them happy. If you make this choice, it's on you to stay up til midnight, not the client. The client ALWAYS comes first. After all, we're all the clients of someone, and we all appreciate this when we are. Companies that inconvenience you are less likely to get your business, aren't they?

Of course, this only covers the subject of timezone differences hindering communication. There's also the matter of cultural and linguistic differences. If you go with a clinet who has a hard time speaking to you in your native tongue because this is his second (or third, or more, in some cases!) language, it'll make things rough on both of you. You'll need to take responsibility of this situation by crafting your communication more clearly and giving more thought to try and decypher meanings in the event of any pesky lexical gaps. However, had you chosen to pick clients in similar timezones from your own, you're more likely to find clients who share the same culture and language. You'll likely have a much easier time communicating and relating.

Not to mention, some users on this site deal with physical objects. Take my husband for instance, he does electronics prototyping. Just today he received a prototype PCB that a client overnighted from a nearby state. Had the client been on the other side of the world, they'd have to wait a heck of a time on shipping, or be guided through building one on their end (something that also recently happened with my husband and another client in Australia).

There's a lot to consider here that I think the OP didn't consider. Please give this a bit more thought, buddy. You make your fellow westerners look bad, and I for one do not appreciate it. Here's a couple handy tools for you to use when you revisit this topic to give it some thought:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html
http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 20
Alas, Breanne, I may not augment my single kudos, except by this note.. ;^)

Best,
Michael
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
19 of 20

Ralph,

This is second thread you opened to spread xenophobia and, if you are trolling, I applaud your bravery to do it under your name. I see your frustrations, but I can assure you that other bidders don't mean much. In other thread I suggested you that you rebrand yourself. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you can post your proposal/bid you actually have fair chance. It is up to you to let your charisma shine in cover letter.

Next, majority of clients here seem from US. I really would like to see that statistic. If I, from Europe, would like to catch some sweet US job hook-up, I end up browsing all night jobs on Upwork.  That is why you see 20 bidders from unpronounceable countries. Jobs appear as they are posted. 

The second suggestion kinda makes sense.  But you should really think it before you type and don't enforce stereotype of Americans failing at geography.

Ciao! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
20 of 20

"I just wanted to note that proposals are not sorted by the time they were submitted."

Please, don't tell me, that instead of sorting by time of submission, they are sorted by an algorithm..

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS