🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job Removed for Non-Compliance - Should I Sti...
Page options
bugera-mike
Community Member

Job Removed for Non-Compliance - Should I Still Interview with Them?

A job was just removed from the job board for not complying with the Terms of Service, but not before the employer and I set up an interview for tomorrow. Do I still go through with the interview? Will I be out of compliance if I do?

9 REPLIES 9
m_sharman
Community Member

Mike B wrote:

A job was just removed from the job board for not complying with the Terms of Service, but not before the employer and I set up an interview for tomorrow. Do I still go through with the interview? Will I be out of compliance if I do?

I suggest you skip the interview, assuming it wasn't a scam, in which case there was no interview. 

Thank you, Miriam.

Assuming it wasn't a scam, should I skip it because it would reflect poorly on my Upwork status or because I wouldn't be covered by Upwork's protection?

This is very frustrating because I spent a good amount of time the other day applying to three jobs and all three were removed. This follows many others I've applied for that have also been removed.

Mike B wrote:

Thank you, Miriam.

Assuming it wasn't a scam, should I skip it because it would reflect poorly on my Upwork status or because I wouldn't be covered by Upwork's protection?

This is very frustrating because I spent a good amount of time the other day applying to three jobs and all three were removed. This follows many others I've applied for that have also been removed.

If the job isn't on Upwork anymore, they can't hire you via Upwork.  That said, I'm 99% sure it's a scam. I checked your profile and given your "new" status, you are vulnerable to scams.  Have all the jobs been removed by Upwork? Or are some of them closed?
If they have all been removed, you need to vet potential clients more carefully before applying. It can be a frustrating process, but the site is littered with jobs that violate TOS or don't actually hire anyone. One way to check this is to look at the hiring history of the client. Payment verification can also support intent, but it isn't 100% of a guidepost. 
colettelewis
Community Member

Mike B wrote:

It depends how bad the ToS contravention was. I would wait and see if the client contacts you, but don't accept any work unless you are crystal clear on the work expected of you,  that you will be paid through Upwork, and that your payment is secure either by a funded milestone or hourly using Upwork's tracker.  

If your interview is scheduled  via Google Hangouts, then 99% certain it is a scam.

Nichola L wrote:

Mike B wrote:

It depends how bad the ToS contravention was. I would wait and see if the client contacts you, but don't accept any work unless you are crystal clear on the work expected of you,  that you will be paid through Upwork, and that your payment is secure either by a funded milestone or hourly using Upwork's tracker.  

If the job was removed, how can they hire him via Upwork? Given his new status, I'm pretty sure he's in scam territory. 

Thank you, Miriam and Nichola, you both make good points. Looking at the employer's information a little closer is a very good idea. I think I'll have to chock this up to yet another learning experience in this career change.

Thanks again!

Miriam H wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Mike B wrote:

If the job was removed, how can they hire him via Upwork? Given his new status, I'm pretty sure he's in scam territory. 

I have flagged many jobs that were taken down and then reposted with the offending terms removed. Whether those jobs were kosher or not is not for me to say... 

As a client, I have had job postings removed by automated algorithms.

There was nothing wrong with the jobs. But the automated algorithms aren't perfect.

I was able to modify the wording so that the jobs were posted without any issues.

If you're a freelancer who is interested in working with a client, the important things are that the client isn't a scammer and isn't violating Upwork ToS.

Even if a client has had a job posting removed, they could create new, viable job postings, and they could still be a good client to work for.

Thank you.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members