cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Says It Doesn't Go Through Upwork. What should I do?

abaker15
Alex B Member Since: May 24, 2016
1 of 7

Hi everyone, I recently went through the interview process for a job, but after they sent me an email accepting me for the job, they now say that the job will not take place on Upwork. This raises concern because how will I ensure that I get paid? Also, they are asking that I fill out an I-9 form and send it to them. Can someone please let me know what I should do because I don't want to send out any personal information to someone that could potentially scam me. Please and thank you.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 7

@Alex B wrote:
(...)

I don't want to send out any personal information to someone that could potentially scam me. Please and thank you.

Ok, and what do you do usually when you don't want this to happen?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
3 of 7

Tell them nope, must go through upwork. It's probably a scam anyway.

View solution in original post

abaker15
4 of 7

Ok thanks. This is the conversation we had. I think it's a scam now that I look at it. Sorry that I wasted your time.

THEM: "We have a time clock system which monitors each employee and you will be paid through direct deposit"

ME: "The problem I have with that is that it violates the contract agreement of Upwork by going outside of the company to get paid, and I do not want my account to get terminated."

THEM: "No. Upwork is aware of this because we pay them directly as well for there compensation"

ME: "I just don't want to take the risk of violating terms because it is clearly stated on the website."

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 7

Alex:

Legitimate and trustworthy clients don't come to Upwork, post jobs here, hire people from here, and then take the job off Upwork.

You face two major problems:

- To participate in this job in any way would be a violation of Upwork rules on your part, and could get your account suspended or terminated.

- It is highly unlikely that this client actually intends to pay you any money ever. He is probably just trying to scam you and steal your money, time, or personal identity information.

abaker15
6 of 7

Yeah I withdrew the proposal, and reported them to Upwork. I just hope nobody was too late on catching on to what they were doing and got scammed.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 7

Always listen to your gut! Yep, this is a scam.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS