Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Dropped dramatically :(

Highlighted
Community Leader
Fabio D Member Since: Feb 19, 2015
1 of 7

So I was contacted by a prospective client for a pretty big job. He was a bit scared because I had 21 jobs open. I explained him that many clients choose to keep the tasks open because they know they will need work than the road or because they want to keep the hourly rate they originally got. Thus, he could see many of my clients paid me 5 figures, which is a pretty obvious sign of my work quality and ethics (otherwise... why would big companies use my services along the years?)

And around half of that simply left the job open and forgot to close it

I have contacted all of those idle job clients several times and asked them to close the jobs, with barely no success. So today I decided to close the jobs myself. After all, some of them were 3 years old!

And then... the catastrophe: my personal Job Success rating dropped from 100% to 90%. My agency rating from 97% to 80%. I clicked the link that explains the algorithm . Much to my surprise, by doing what I did, Upwork dropped my rating that way, simply because I have no feedback (!!!!!). Or, in other words: I was penalized because the client didn't do what s/he should have done, as if I was responsible of client's behavior.

So, just as a starting point for a logical algorithm and better user experience: shouldn't UpWork remind clients to leave feedback and/or automatically close jobs with no activity and older than (say) 1 year? Or at least not consider those tasks in their algorithm? Just an idea, because this is tremendously unfair, it's like asking me for telepathy powers! (which, sadly, I don't have)

Well, guess I'll need to rebuild the rating that took me years to build because I was penalized for doing things right Smiley Sad

And hope this is changed soon. And maybe someone learns from what happened to me

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

Fabio D wrote: I clicked the link that explains the algorithm . Much to my surprise, by doing what I did, Upwork dropped my rating that way, simply because I have no feedback (!!!!!). Or, in other words: I was penalized because the client didn't do what s/he should have done, as if I was responsible of client's behavior.

Nope.

Your JSS has nothing to do with the contracts that ended without feedback and everything to do with the poor private feedback you have been getting.

Go to your "My Stats" page and take a look at your private feedback ("Clients who would recommend you") percentage.

With it in the Sixties percentage range that tells you how your clients really feel about working with you.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Fabio D Member Since: Feb 19, 2015
3 of 7

So you're saying that after doing something a variable changed and it is just a coincidence?

Also, it seems pretty obvious that if people doesn't leave feedback they won't recommend me either, that's the gist of teh problem!

As we're at it, you say this:

With it in the Sixties percentage range that tells you how your clients really feel about working with you.

Yet I also see this:

Long-term clients
57%

So I have almost the same number of long-term clients as people who would recommend me! Unless all the work in UpWork is long term (which obviously is not) this would represent the definition of an statistical anomaly.

Also, guess I got a special UpWork page made only for me, because I see this (which LITERALLY says what I'm saying: I closed many contracts in a bunch and have no feedback):

Missing feedback is only flagged when it represents a significant portion of your contracts.

Thus, according to your scenario, not only things happen by coincidence after I do something, but I also fell into an statisitcal anomaly just like that and UpWork is aiming at me specifically. Guess it's an explanation line any other.... a scary one, but an explanation...

Wow my bad luck Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 7

@Fabio D wrote:

Also, it seems pretty obvious that if people doesn't leave feedback they won't recommend me either, that's the gist of teh problem!

Your private feedback percentage ONLY includes those who actually did leave feedback and excludes those who did not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 7

You said you closed all those contracts "today" - so their effect on your JSS, if any, would not be visible until the 28th anyway, which is when the JSS next updates.

21 in one go IS too many at once but your JSS was already 90% when you did it.

Looking at your 6 month window you had 4 closed jobs, of which only one was 5 stars. Your private feedback percentage is very low.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 7

Fabio and others,

I'd like to clarify a few things about the Recommended score and JSS:

- Recommended score is based on private feedback clients leave when the contract is closed.

- Of all the clients who gave you feedback the Recommended score reflects the number of clients who said they would recommend you. So clients who didn't leave you any feedback are not included in the denominator.

- It's a lifetime calculation unlike JSS that doesn't consider contracts from more than 2 years ago.

JSS calculation includes multiple factors such as public and private feedback, long-term relationships, contracts without feedback if they represent a significant portion of your overall contracts, etc. We won't be able to advise regarding which contracts exactly caused a drop in your Job Success score.

All, please note that a few comments have been removed for Community Guidelines.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
7 of 7

What Petra says is correct, idle jobs or jobs with "no feedback given" do not affect your JSS as long as they are few and some payment was involved, instead it's the private feedback what affects JSS. However, in this case 21 jobs closed all at once was a bad call, because 21 is a very significant number. It's recommended to close one, complete one or two more jobs, close another in 2 or 3 weeks and so on, not all of them at the same time.

I agree the freelancer should not be penalized for "no feedback given" because it's not the freelancer's fault if the client is busy, doesn't know how to do it or doesn't care. If they don't leave feedback it doesn't necessarily mean they are not happy with the deliverables, Upwork assume it does, and nobody knows why. In any case it should count as neutral, not negatively. Anyway, Upwork will not change that so the only solution is to close idle jobs carefully.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS