Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score - Stuck at 88% - Advice needed

Ace Contributor
Karlo V Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
1 of 29

Hey fellow freelancers, 

I need help regarding Job Success Score (JSS). Please if anyone has any advice on this matter I would higly appreciate this. 

Long story short: 

My JSS was at 100%. I messed up one job (actually I didn't mess up job itself, I finished Fix Price Job 2 days after due date which was at friday and I pressed that I am finished at monday). Anyway I agree I messed it up and UpWork lowered my JSS to 86%. After that I finished 1 job higly successfuly and UpWork raised my JSS to 88% (it is wierd how this drop was for 14% on messed job and just 2% raise for successful job).

Here is where my problems begin. I had countless of jobs, offers, interviews, everyting on this score. However, my JSS is 88% now and I am stuck here. I wrote numerous of proposals and I had 0 views to my account. 0, which means no one even saw my application. Which again means that it is not problem in profile or application itself because no one even saw my profile. Everyone wants at least JSS of 90%. 

What can I do now? How can I raise this back? There is no way of me getting new job anymore. How can I get this 2% so I can make people even look at my profile? I do not understand how should people even raise again their scores if something like this happens. I wrote to UpWork support to ask them same question. However, only answer that I got are links to pages where is written how JSS works. I read those countless times. I understand how it works. But I do not seem to get a solution for my problem there. 

If anyone has any idea please write it back. I do not know what to do at the moment. 

Thank you very much fellow freelancers, 

Karlo

SEM Expert
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 29

Are all three of your "active" contracts still active? Once contracts have been without any activity for a few months they start affecting your JSS too!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 29

Hey Petra, 

Thank you for answer. Well yeah. The thing is that one of the contracts will be active in 2 days when designers make my banners and the other one will be active again in week or two. I know that paused contracts affect JSS which is real nonsense again. UpWork basically wants us and encouerage us to have long term clients with those fees things and similar. On the other hand they punish us for having paused contracts. I will not finish my contracts if they will need more work in some reasonable time. 

However, is it better to finish contract and take it back in say month or two or have it paused? If this will help my score I will end my contract and reactivate them again. But it is stupid to pay 20% again, as this is new job :-/ 

P.S.: And actually it is not that important right now what lowered my score. It is more important for me what can I do to raise it for at least 2 percent since anything lower than 90% is not good at all. There almost impossible to find job with profile <90% .....

SEM Expert
Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 29

First of all the fees are per client relationship, not per contract.

Once your "in a coma" contracts become active again they will no longer count against you, but in general it is much better to get clients to end contracts if the immediate work is done. It takes a couple of mouseclicks for a client to rehire you, it is not an issue.

Letting contracts go stale is not good business practice even taking the whole JSS thing out of the equation completely.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 29

Wait a secound, you wanna say that those fees thing is not per contract, it is per client? I'm could shoot myself in foot right now ...

Thanks.

SEM Expert
Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 29

@Karlo V wrote:

Wait a secound, you wanna say that those fees thing is not per contract, it is per client? I'm could shoot myself in foot right now ...

Lol, yes, it does not matter if you earned 500 with one client over one contract or 20.... it is per client relationship......

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 29

Thanks. Anyway, I got idea now what could affect positively on my JSS. If I end those it should raise over 90%. But yeah my question from beginning is still unsolved. I am not sure how people should approach this if they do not have contracts like I do. 

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'm out. Will open new threat if this doesn't help Smiley Happy 

SEM Expert
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 29

Hi Karlo,

Freelancers with a score lower than 90% are getting hired on a daily basis on Upwork, so you need to continue submitting tailored proposals to jobs that fit your skillset perfectly in order win more jobs and improve your Job Success Score. To clarify, paused contracts don't affect the Job Success Score unless they haven't had any activity in a certain period of time. It looks like you're aware of what needs to be done with those contracts so let us know if you have any questions.

Highlighted
Neeraj R Member Since: Feb 11, 2016
9 of 29

I am also facing the same issue which karlo facing . I am applying bid with good proposal and relevant to our skills. Earlier i was getting reply when my job success was 90% but now its 88% no one replying me. Suggest me what can i do.

Highlighted
John G Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
10 of 29

Hello Vladimir,

I have completed only two jobs here, both with 100% success. I am very good at what I do.

Because I also have an offline freelance job, there are periods when I don't submit proposals here, or even log-in for a few days. I keep the app on my phone and always receive messages from clients immediately. On that note, there is a client that messaged me. I asked him to remove me from his query but he won't... It seems as if you are saying these things will affect that score.

These objectives should not affect Our Job Success Scores.

I thank you for any and all responses in advance.

John Gill :upwork:

What are we looking at??What are we looking at??

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS