Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
1 of 33

It was a waste of words...

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
2 of 33

Suzzane

Truly you have expressed my feelings about the system which may I can't expressed by myself.

+5 Kudos for the post like this.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
3 of 33

So I will add to Suzanne's post (despite proper advice), and indicate the true problem behind this score - the calculation.

A scale of 1-10 is not rated 1-10 when the clients selects the rating. Instead of regular arithmetic which applies to averages, the JS calculation uses tiered scores. Therefore if a client is even not fully satisfied or disgruntled and gives a 6 - it is not calculated as a 6.

I will illustrate in simple terms:

10+10+5+6+9+4 = 46 (average = 7.33) = 73% This is a regular system.

Now if you implement a system where ranges are used to apply grades, then the same grades above become:

1+1+0.5+0.5+1+0 = 4.0 (average 0.67) =  67%.

Imagine you were enjoying 100% success

10+10+10+10+10 = 50 (average = 10) = 100%

Then you get one low score

10+10+10+10+10+4 = 54 (average = 9) = 90%

Their system

1+1+1+1+1+0 = 5 (average = 0.83) = 83%

So rather than an actual system that displays your true grading, it shows their interpretation of what the client chose. So the client choosing 4 out of 10 meant 0 to the system. This is the true problem with the JS score metric. It tries to interpret what the client "meant" rather than the value the client actually gave.

**Disclaimer**

I suspect that, or would like to say, the actual ranges may not be accurate, as I do not work for Upwork. But I am sure that this system is in play.

This is perhaps my last post on JS score, as it it pretty much pointless, except potential trouble.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 33

Setu,

Thank you for the post on how the JS is skewed and being used incorrectly.

I just posted on this in another thread about educating the clients that Pandora had posted in the Client section.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/New-Upwork-Clients-Concerns-and-Initiatives/m-p/84003/highli...

I just had a long discussion with one of my old clients on private feedback and he had no idea how it would affect the freelancer. 

In fact one of his comments on "Would you recommend..." was that working with a freelancer short term it would be hard to determine whether he would or not and that he felt that a 6 or 7 was a good score for a short term as he had not worked with someone long enough to really assess their skills. So he would rate 5-7 as he really didn't know enough to know. He felt a 9 or 10 was someone who was phenomenal and had performed way beyond their means.

My point in the other thread was about education of clients that Valeria had commented the they were working at educating "new" clients, but we have many long term clients who do not understand the system and how it works and how their feedback impacts the freelancer.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 33

Suzanne, great point you made about educating existing clients as well as new ones. And like you, I take issue with kicking out freelancers with JS below 70%. Why not let clients decide? In the past, a client had an option to select a 1 star freelancer over a 5 star freelancer, and apparently that didn't harm anyone. So let clients hire 50% JS freelancers if they want to. Clients have carte blanche pretty much anyway. They can post jobs without verifying payment method, for instance. So why in the case of JS does Upwork restrict the client's choice?

6 of 33

I am not sure if Setu's calculations are according to the system and having same farmula for calculations but as I  have noticed sometimes it doesnt work according to the calculations.In last two  months I have doubled my performance I have done many successful jobs I have repeated clients my long term clients reaches from 30 to 50%,Clients who recommend me went 90 to 92% but in last JS update it drops my JS and after 2 to 3 days it drops my  12 month feedback in the main time I have 3 more repeated clients but instead of increasing my long term clients it decreases which is very hard for me to understand the system.

As John said I have posted similar suggestions in some other threads that dont suspend the freelancers and let the client to decide if they want to work with below 70% or not,I am top rated and having good reputation I dont have to care but I care because  one day I can lose my badge because of a bad private feedback,buggy calculations etc.

Community Guru
7 of 33

Suzanne, I back your education campaign 100% unreservedly. But everything your old client said was true. The question is a problem in itself, but his response was spot on.

We basically would be forcing clients to give 7-10 or 8-10 to get a good score when a freelancer might only deserve a 4, 5 or 6. But since the system would report those values as 0 or 0.5, then the client would be forced to give a higher value just to compensate.

So while education on (leaving feedback) how feedback affects freelancers is very important, the system is still highly skewed.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
8 of 33

While I agree with everything that's been written in this thread (once more), I, for one, am so incredibly tired of this.

We understand the JS score a lot better than we did a couple of weeks ago, thanks to tireless sleuthing and deducting and Setu's graphs and calculations etc. Which in itself is wrong on so many levels.

We keep raising the same topics and repeating the same answers to the same questions over and over again. We give each others lots of Kudos in the hope this will have some sort of impact on the general route this company has chosen. I don't think it will.

It's Groundhog Day all over again.

And I am fed up with being fed up.

I didn't sign up with this platform to become part of the much heralded 'Upwork family' that people in the TR subforum seem(ed) so keen on joining. I was merely looking for a facilitator - and ended up with a control freak.

It's just not worth it. 

I choose the Greek strategy and opt for: NO

Community Guru
9 of 33
Great advice Ela. Tomorrow will be February 3 for me on this JS matter Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 33

But as we know this is not a democracy! It's worse than Groundhog Day.......

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS