Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score and Morale

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
21 of 33

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

I understand that many of you still feel insecure about the Job Success score and want to know more about how exactly it is calculated. However, we have been sharing as much as we can publicly to provide some guidance for freelancers without allowing abuse.

The Job Success score was in no way intended to lower the morale of Upwork freelancers, but it was meant to do exactly what it is doing. It helps those freelancers stand out who only apply to jobs they are qualified for, discuss and understand all the terms before accepting the offer, communicate professionally and deliver great results. And it helps clients to recognize and avoid freelancers who take on jobs they are not able to complete, don't communicate professionally or ask for clarifications, fail to deliver product and refund all the money to avoid bad public score.

I know all of you belong to the first category of freelancers and therefore you all have been enjoying high Job Success score. Occasional relationships with a client that went south would not affect your score or if it would, you would be able to recover it really quickly.

Valeria,

All well said and done that some might be affected, but your last statement assumes all freelancers work short term jobs and can recover from a hit on thier JS, but it does not take into account someone who works long term jobs and may not pick up but one or two more clients after a hit. So for someone who works long term jobs one or two small hits may ruin their JS permanently as it would take a dozen or so new clients to fix damage done by one bad client.

I really don't believe it is your secrecy about how the  JS is formulated that is bringing down morale but the way it is calculated and that a huge percentage of private feedback is used to calculate it. Not educating the old and new clients and making it our responsibilty to ask them for feedback and advise them to make sure if they choose x option it is not lower then x. This is no better then feedback blackmail done before the JS or freelancers refunding money to avoid a bad score.

Although the idea is a good one, the way it is implemented is skewed, It should not be my responsibilty to explain to a client how the feedback system works. "You" changed it, so Upwork should be making sure that it is explained throughly to clients.

I have talked to clients old and new and most have no idea how the system works or why it would lower a score if they chose on a scale of 1-10 a 7 as th ey feel it means someone did a good job but was not exceptional. Someone needs to go back to the drawing board to rethink the way scores are calculated because the way they are doing them now, Upwork is not going to have Top Rated freelancers as they are all going to exit the system and go elsewhere.

Ace Contributor
Paul M Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
22 of 33

And still does

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 33

I don't want to be contrarian and I know that people posting here feel strongly about the job score.

I don't want to directly address any of the well-written points that have made previously. But one thing I think about is that if there is not SOME mechanism for helping clients choose clients who are good fits for their projects, then Upwork would be less useful to clients, and morale would decline because contrators can't find good-paying jobs on the platform.

I know I'm not directly addressing the issues discussed previously on this thread. I think many people are complaining about the precise nature and implementation of the Job Score system, and not the mere fact that we have it.

Regardless of how people feel it affects Upwork, I think that the INTENT of the Job Score is to make Upwork a more useful system for clients, and I think doing that is ultimately the most lucrative and morale-boosting outcome for contractors as well.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
24 of 33

But the clients are usually rubblish Preston, not one in 50 pays anything like a living wage in an average developed country. With so many high-end freelancers now leaving the site because they're fed up with feeling bullied and ignored, the situation is only likely to get worse.

P.S rubbish = garbage.

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
25 of 33

Yes 3 months ago all the good clients seem to have gone from my area of work which is video production.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
26 of 33

@Ian David John E wrote:

Yes 3 months ago all the good clients seem to have gone from my area of work which is video production.

David, prior to Connects and JS, was it the case that each video production job posted had a huge list of applicants? Connects was supposed to make freelancers 'stand out' by reducing the number of applicants but if there weren't many to begin with then it could theoretically be counter-productive.

27 of 33

I have to agree... and imagine the dismay as Elance becomes a ghost-town and I migrate to Upwork to see providers paying $1.88/hr. 

Who even works for $1.88/hr.??

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
28 of 33

@Preston H wrote:

I don't want to be contrarian and I know that people posting here feel strongly about the job score.

I don't want to directly address any of the well-written points that have made previously. But one thing I think about is that if there is not SOME mechanism for helping clients choose clients who are good fits for their projects, then Upwork would be less useful to clients, and morale would decline because contrators can't find good-paying jobs on the platform.

I know I'm not directly addressing the issues discussed previously on this thread. I think many people are complaining about the precise nature and implementation of the Job Score system, and not the mere fact that we have it.

Regardless of how people feel it affects Upwork, I think that the INTENT of the Job Score is to make Upwork a more useful system for clients, and I think doing that is ultimately the most lucrative and morale-boosting outcome for contractors as well.

Preston,

All well said and done, but clients don't know how to use the JS and are blindly choosing someone because of the JS. We have already seen cases of JS scores of someone who has no feedback and a Top Rated Profile, we have seen the JS skewed because they are using  mostly Private feedback to determine these scores.

They have not taken into consideration that some people are just not going to score a freelancer a 10 on anything no matter what .. So JS is skewed. I am not against it but I am also not for it with the way it is being handled.

I also do not like seeing all the secrecy going on. It doesn't take rocket science to run a member based site. But for some reason we have had issue after issue for months. Not something little for a day or two but everything has gone down hill. I am giving Upwork 10% of my income. I should be getting support taken care of right away not weeks later, I should be getting invites like promised to Top Rated freelancers, The messaging system should be working right and the Time Tracker. I could go on and on about issues that are ongoing with all their so called changes for the better.

So you can sing and dance all the praise you would like but it is not going to fix how people are feeling. And Morale is certainly down. I can't even feel supportive anymore.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
29 of 33

@Paul M wrote:

And still does

And will continue to reduce moral every day you think things may improve.

They are not ever going to improve. Start looking to other places where you're more appreciated, jobs are better and you don't have to worry and fret over every client. 

Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
30 of 33

A wave of optimism struck me after reading all this thread and opinions of how Upwork enhances and provides working prospects for good employers, that anyway... most of them pay over $60/hr after the recent rebrading. 

To summarize: http://screencast.com/t/Kr6q5HctqNb2

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS