cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score and its frustrating mysteries...

aremoros
Areani M Member Since: Sep 27, 2017
1 of 21

Hello everyone, I have a question, and a few opinions, regarding my JSS. I've always had a 100% Success Score, but yesterday I noticed it has been lowered to 94%! The only thing I can think of being the cause for it is having taken a bit too long to leave feedback for my most recent client (by mistake, not because of anything negative); a client who hired me again for a bigger project immediately after completing the 1st one, and I had forgotten to leave feedback. The client's feedback was very positive, and since I was hired by them again, plus I have an ongoing contract (4 months so far), and I've always received top feedback/recommendations from clients (except for one, who didn't leave any) I think it excessive to lower my JSS to a 94.

Reading a few of the other posts on the subject, I see that apparently only if you have many "no feedback" contracts does it actually affect your JSS (so my 1 contract without feedback shouldn't be the problem), but the other thing I discovered here, which is really worrying (and unfair, and very frustrating) is that while clients can leave a 5 star/100% would-recommend public feedback, they can basically "go behind your back" and badmouth you privately?? and that this has a bigger impact on your JSS than the public feedback? I think that is a terrible policy...where does that make sense? Other than maliciously trying to damage your reputation and chances of getting hired, I don't see why a client would do that, and I don't see why Upwork would allow a client that has left a positive public feedback, to say anything to the contrary in private feedback, especially if the freelancer is not going to be made aware of any issues, that is, until it shows on their JSS! Also, the fact that the only feedback we as freelancers can give a client is public, is a double standard that fuels the general impression that Upwork supports the clients more than it does the freelancers...

So in my case, the only client that didn't leave me feedback, was the only client I've given a not-so-good feedback (because they went radio silent and I had to ask for the payment after a while and close the contract), quite possibly left me a terrible private feedback and that's what has affected my JSS? Is that fair??

It just doesn't make sense, to have a profile with only 5 star feedback, "clean" stats (100% of my clients would recommend me), yet a less than 100% success score (and next to the 94%, a "You're almost Top Rated" notification)...

The only other thing I can think of is having recently withdrawn a proposed contract I had sent a client whith whom I was discussing a 2nd job. But the client was new to Upwork and instead of accepting my contract, she created one herself, for the same job, and sent me that, so mine was left unanswered (but the job WAS completed, and she's actually just offered me another project)...

By the amount of posts about JSS issues, I can see there's apparently nothing I can actually do, other than "keep at it", but I'd like to know, form others' experiences, how long will it take to go back up again??

Thanks

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
2 of 21

I understand the frustration (I'm a FLer too) but the reality is that FLers used to get all over their former clients for not leaving straight 5 stars. They still do sometimes (for instance, the FLer only had one gig in the past two weeks, and this is when her JSS went down, so she can surmise it was that client). But it's harder and the metrics apparently have some sort of mystery to them to keep us from REALLY knowing exactly who left a "negative" review (even though 4 out of 5 isn't really negative, when you think about it...it's not amazing but 5 out of 5 implies literal perfection).

So I get why UW instituted this private FB thing. They want clients to be honest. And while private FB doesn't ensure  100% accuracy because clients will do what clients will do (I've had clients in the past criticize correct grammar, for instance, replacing it with incorrect grammar), I think it probably does allow clients who otherwise would have just left the 5 straight stars and run, to express how they really felt about the project.

The bottom line is, UW wants clients to really know (as accurately as possible) how much a FLer is pleasing his/her clients and this is apparently the closest way so far discovered to get to that point.

aremoros
3 of 21

Thanks for your reply, Melanie! I understand what you're saying, and you do make a valid point in regards to Upwork wanting to make sure the client can be honest about their experience with a freelancer, but the fact still remains that that creates a "false positive" feedback for the freelancer, with no chance to dispute the client's claim, or even learn from the issues with the experience, so as to not incur in the same mistakes in the future... So it basically lowers our scores/chances without considering all aspects of the situation...

If a client is being harassed to leave a good feedback, then of course they should be able to bring that up to Upwork's attention, but if that is not the case, and it was actually the client who behaved less than professionally in some way, then it's the freelancer's voice that should be heard louder, or at least equally, given the chance to respond (to Upwork, not the client), don't you think? I'm not even sure that's what's affected my JSS, but since it is a possibility, this is my opinion about it...

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 21

If you have "100% clients would recommend me" on your My Stats page then private feedback is not what affected your JSS.

Read this carefully

Does anything possibly apply?

aremoros
5 of 21

Hi Petra, thanks for replying.

I had read that information, and given that I do have "100% clients who would recommend" me, then the only thing that would fit is me having had to close a contract back in October, after the client became unresponsive. I actually did it following advise I got here, to give them one more week, so I closed it after 2.

If that is what's affected my score, it too isn't fair to the freelancer, since I followed Upwork's recommendation of reaching out to the client first, asking them to close the contract, and then closing it myself if they weren't responding.

If I had left the contract open until the client decided to close it (which, after a couple of weeks of not answering any of my messages, I don't know if or when they would've done it), it would have affected my score either way, just later on.

In any case, since there's nothing I can do about it now, I'd just like to know if it will take several months, until the next score calculation update, for it to go back up...

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
6 of 21

The score is recalculated once every 2 weeks on a Sunday. Next update is this Sunday.

Keep doing a great job and collect successful outcomes and it'll go up again soon!

Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

aremoros
7 of 21

Oh, ok, I thought it would take longer. That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks! I'll know to be more vigilant about my contracts' status in the future!

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
8 of 21

Yeah, I hear you on having to close the contract. I agree that doesn't sound fair, and so do a lot of people (this is a common complaint), but to date, UW has no plans to change this.

If it helps, you're not alone. Meanwhile, you're still in the 90s, so IMO, you're not going to have a problem continuing to get work. I tanked to the 80s, had very little work so far at the time that I had to close my inactive contract. You can climb back up but again, you should still get work regardless. This shouldn't affect you too badly.

aremoros
9 of 21

Thank you, that's good to hear!

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
10 of 21

@Areani M wrote:

Hi Petra, thanks for replying.

I had read that information, and given that I do have "100% clients who would recommend" me, then the only thing that would fit is me having had to close a contract back in October, after the client became unresponsive. I actually did it following advise I got here, to give them one more week, so I closed it after 2.

If that is what's affected my score, it too isn't fair to the freelancer, since I followed Upwork's recommendation of reaching out to the client first, asking them to close the contract, and then closing it myself if they weren't responding.

If I had left the contract open until the client decided to close it (which, after a couple of weeks of not answering any of my messages, I don't know if or when they would've done it), it would have affected my score either way, just later on.

In any case, since there's nothing I can do about it now, I'd just like to know if it will take several months, until the next score calculation update, for it to go back up...

They tell us that there has to be a pattern of "no feedback" contracts for that to be a factor.

I do see an open contract on your profile from November - have you been paid on it within the last 90 days? It may be that it is now considered "inactive," which will also ding your score slightly.

94% is nothing to sneeze at, but it does seem odd given what's showing on your profile, and a 100% recommendation rate. Check that stat again after this coming Sunday, when JSS is updated (every 2 weeks).

And to be clear from some of your other posts: the feedback that you give your clients has nothing to do with your JSS. Neither does not accepting a contract, or having one not accepted, as contracts only count once they're actually in place.

Hopefully if you keep on keeping on, your score will go back up to where it belongs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS