🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Job Success Score disaster
Page options
placebofx
Community Member

Job Success Score disaster

I'm new to Upwork but have some experience as a freelance writer. I have only 3 completed jobs, 2 with 5 stars and 1 with 4.8 feedback. I made a few minor mistakes in the 4.8 job but it was corrected and the client said he was pleased with the final product. There was another job where I stupidly accepted the offer before being completely aware of what was involved and then immediately backed out when I realized I couldn't handle the job. Apologized to client and contract was ended by client and I refunded escrow monies. 

I thought it took more than 3 jobs to get a JSS but my JSS has just now appeared. It is 38%. I'm devastated. This seems so harsh. I've lost my confidence, motivation, and direction and need some advice.

I'm assuming this score must reflect some combination of poor private feedback and/or the aborted contract?. Is that correct?

Before I had this JSS I was doing well for a beginner and had a very high rate of proposals sent to interviews or job offers. Now I can't imagine anyone will want to hire me for anything. Is it even possible to come back from this? Or should I admit failure and give up on freelancing through Upwork? 
4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Annie T wrote:

Before I had this JSS I was doing well for a beginner and had a very high rate of proposals sent to interviews or job offers. Now I can't imagine anyone will want to hire me for anything. Is it even possible to come back from this?

No clients can see your JSS at the moment as any JSS under 50% does not show on your profile.

Because you have so few contracts, each one counts heavily, so it won't take that many great outcomes to get to increase your JSS again.

Be very selective when choosing who you work with, take on contracts you totally know you can do 100%.

The contract you abandoned indeed counts as unsuccessful, so yes, that will have had a big affect. Stay clear of cheap contracts, clients who are mean with what they pay you are only too often also mean with private feedback.

barada00
Community Member

It doesn't show on profile but it shows on search results:

annie-search.jpg

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

That truly sucks, but Petra's advice is sound. Your next few completed contracts will weigh hugely and have the potential to catapult you out of that hole and back up where you belong. Be as picky now as you ever will be, when it comes to choosing jobs and clients. You need at least 3-4 home runs in a row and it won't be as difficult as it feels today. Do what you already know to do: make absolutely sure every detail is crystal clear and nailed down before accepting a contract, don't take on anything that you aren't 100% confident you can knock out of the park, and avoid clients that seem temperamental or flaky.

Good luck!

placebofx
Community Member

Thank you Petra and Phyllis. Very wise counsel and I am somewhat reassured knowing the current score isn't visible to clients right now. Going forward I will try my best to follow your good advice to the letter, and hope for the best. Thanks again.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths