Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score dropping nearly 20% without any explanation

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
BEST ANSWER
11 of 34

I know it's frustrating. The JSS is a tool for clients, not for FLs. It's designed to give clients a starting point for sifting through the zillions of FLs here. When it comes to FLs figuring out how to improve outcomes, we are on our own. In a way, the JSS is better than nothing because it at least gives us a clue that someone might have been unhappy. Just like out in the non-UW world, it's up to us to review and reflect, and find ways to avoid repeating less-than-stellar outcomes. 

There's continual debate about the importance of one's JSS when it comes to landing desirable contracts from quality clients. I expect it varies from one discipline to another, and also depending on which stratum of expertise and experience one is swimming in. In any case, the minimum JSS requirement you see on job postings is one of many boxes clients are required to choose among, and many either don't know what to choose or don't care. When I have on my client hat, I'm ambivalent about it, and usually make more than one pass searching, adjusting rate and JSS thresholds, to get a feel for who's out there. Any client who's also a FL knows full well that a fabulous FL can have a JSS below 90% at any particular time.

IMO the main reason to keep a high JSS is to get and keep the Top Rated badge, which enables you to have crummy fb removed if a job goes sideways on you. (You can use it every 10 contracts/every three months--I think--so you want to hoard it for when you really need it.) That just requires 90% or higher for 13 of the previous 16 weeks, so don't get caught up in the drama of a sub-100% score. I know you're below 90 now, but you still have relatively few contracts, so each new one that closes will weigh enough to help you climb back up without too much trouble.

The JSS is imperfect but it is what it is. Kind of like the weather. We can't control it but we can learn to predict it within a certain margin of error, and shelter ourselves from the worst of it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brandon H Member Since: Feb 17, 2019
12 of 34

Phyllis, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to talk me through this.  It was much more helpful than anything CS has done for me on this issue.  

Brandon

Highlighted
Michael P Member Since: Sep 16, 2019
13 of 34

Brandon. Same exact story with me. I cannot give you any idea how or why. But my JSs rate plummeted as well. I did have five contracts which were open and I closed them.  I asked customer service twice and going to go through LinkedIn for an answer to find another person. I was told if it's below 75% there would be little chance of a me getting a gig. I think they are right. I really counted on upwork and i am semiretired now. I have had 5 projects and they were like an averages of 4.8 which out of 5 is closer to 90%. Than 66%. I ended two contracts but the client canceled them for tiny budgets that were dreadful. Maybe that hurt. I never paid attention to the success rate until recently when a potential client brought it up. He turned out to be a creep like a lot these clients are.  Hope we can get better scores. I do think they are important and I disagree with other messages that they are not maybe important. My gigs have fallen off since the JSs went down. I guess I can just quit the site sadly.

Highlighted
Imran S Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
14 of 34

Hi All, I faced the same situation. I completed 6 jobs and I had 100% score. Unfortunately, one client did not provide any feedback and that was about a year ago still I had it at 100% but a few days back it went to 88% without any further jobs or feedback. Chat bot is of no use. I am also seeking answers what exactly happened. If its because of the one no feedback it should have been at 88% a year back.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 34

Your profile says you've had 6 jobs, but you're only showing four completed and none in progress. What's up with the other two? Did you have contracts that started and ended without payment, or on which you made a full refund?

Outside that, the reason your score is dropping is likely that older jobs are falling out of your calculation window. Anything outside of 24 months isn't counted, so at least the oldest job on your profile (and likely the second-oldest) are no longer being considered in calculating your JSS. If the second-to-last hasn't dropped out yet and does in the next update, you will likely lose your JSS completely.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
16 of 34

I was just looking at my contracts and I only see that two of the completed contracts have no feedback given.  So does that still make sense?  I'm sorry to be so bothersome, but my reputation is really important to me and I hate feeling like I have no control over it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
17 of 34

Brandon H wrote:

I was just looking at my contracts and I only see that two of the completed contracts have no feedback given.  So does that still make sense?  I'm sorry to be so bothersome, but my reputation is really important to me and I hate feeling like I have no control over it.

When I view your profile, I see four with no feedback (including one that promised "5 star feedback" in the job title).

Highlighted
Michael P Member Since: Sep 16, 2019
18 of 34

Yep. Reputation at stake like mine. Cant tell why it's plummeting. No one can answer. Bad situation and algorithm.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
19 of 34

Hi Brandon, 

I'm sorry to learn about the dip in your Job Success Score. While you have jobs with no feedback, I know you get yourself back on track, as the feedback in your Work History is stellar.

Please know that your Job Success score is updated every two weeks, and it’s important to note any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time. Because we look at trends over a 24-month period, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window, or there are not enough jobs in your 6-, 12-, 24-month window to calculate your Job Success Score from. You may read this help article for more information about why your Job Success Score may have changed. 

Private feedback is an additional way for users to share their experience working with each other on a contract honestly and without any external pressure. Unfortunately, the rating system we had previously that was based solely on public feedback could easily be manipulated and this is something we are able to avoid with Job Success score. You can refer to earlier discussions of private feedback in the Community.

As an additional tip, on your Work History, you may click on a job that has been closed, to see which of the criteria were scored accordingly. 

Feedback.png

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
20 of 34

Thanks for your help.  Sounds like a response I've received several times from CS, but I see that you're a mod, so that's okay.  I guess I'm freaking out over nothing, but when I see that JSS continue to drop cycle after cycle (three times now) despite doing what everyone is telling me is stellar work - big time alarm bells start going off in my head.  In any case, the community forum has been infinitely more helpful than CS for me on this issue, so thanks again for that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS