🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job Success Score will put me out of business
Page options
editorfreelancer
Community Member

Job Success Score will put me out of business

What is happening with my job success score? First, it dropped to 93%, then it dipped to 89%. I've had 5-star feedback since then trying to build it back up. Another contract just ended. Today, I see that my JS score's at 78%. It makes absolutely no sense. 

Every client who's left feedback awarded me five stars. Four jobs are in progress:

1. not currently active.

2. paused but has a "weekly retainer" (I don't understand those, tbh). 

3. just finished last week but client hasn't ended it yet

4. a client ghosted after hitting pause in 2018, and not even Upwork contacting them has helped 

What am I going to do? This job success score will put me out of business. I had enough problems getting a single job when it fell below 90%. 78%?! Please help. 

5 REPLIES 5
LuiggiR

Hi Tracey,

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Just to clarify how it works, the Upwork system takes snapshots of your six-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. The best score out of these moving time windows is displayed on your profile and updated about every two weeks. Your Job Success Score (JSS) can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated.

Just like you mentioned below, a contract that has been inactive or without any feedback can have an impact on your JSS. You can find out more about JSS changes by checking this help article.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
m_sharman
Community Member

I know how frustrating this can be. One important item to check is your "clients who recommend you" percentage. This refers to private feedback and can help freelancers see where the disconnect is b/t their public reviews and private feedback. The private feedback factors into your JSS. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Tracey H wrote:

What is happening with my job success score? First, it dropped to 93%, then it dipped to 89%. I've had 5-star feedback since then trying to build it back up. Another contract just ended. Today, I see that my JS score's at 78%. It makes absolutely no sense. 

Every client who's left feedback awarded me five stars. Four jobs are in progress:

1. not currently active.

4. a client ghosted after hitting pause in 2018, and not even Upwork contacting them has helped 

What am I going to do? This job success score will put me out of business. I had enough problems getting a single job when it fell below 90%. 78%?! Please help. 

Do all your open contracts have earnings on them? Do you have any contracts at all that closed without any earnings? Besides private feedback, those two are JSS killers. 

tlbp
Community Member

Tracey H wrote:

1. not currently active.

If you look at the JSS master thread, you'll see a plethora of explanations for low JSS. Scan through and see if any apply to your circumstances. Keep in mind that your JSS may change as reviews fall out of your calculation window, even if you've not had any recent activities. In your case, all of your reviews from pre-August 2018 are now outside your calculation window. So you have 7 gigs included in your calculation, 2 of which have no review. (Good news, those two will fall out of your calculation window over the coming months.) You should probably close the truck driving course contract yourself, it isn't helping you to keep it open. 

On a side note, clients only see the first few lines of your profile when initially looking at their list of proposals for a gig. Your alert regarding your availability is a waste of that prime marketing real estate. There's no need to worry about when you'll be able to work until you have someone who actually wants to work with you.

As it appears now, I would have to select the "more" option to view anything on your profile that might tell me what you actually do. Everyone in your category is a content writer or editor and "wordsmith" is far too vague for anyone to care about. Open your profile with a strong statement that says what you can do for the client. 

petra_r
Community Member

Tracey H wrote:

1. not currently active.

You only have a total of 7 completed contracts in all your 3 calculation windows, because that's all the jobs that have been completed in the maximum 2 year calculation window. You do not have any 6 month calculation window (not enough contracts) - so at the moment your calculation window is the better of your 1 and 2 year windows. The contract that has just ended will help you at the next update, which will happen a week today (next Sunday evening) The more contracts you can get ended successfully before then, the better your chance of creating a 6-month window. 

So I would leave job 1 alone, talk to the client with job 2, have you earned any money under it, ever?

Job 3, ideally get client to close it, 4, close it yourself.

If you could get jobs 3 and 2 closed happily with good outcomes, that would give you 4 completed contracts in your 6 month window.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members