Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score

Highlighted
Andrew R Member Since: Jan 11, 2019
1 of 9

Hi all,

I'm just starting into this, and I felt like I was doing pretty well. Unfortunately, my Job Success Score is currently at 63% and I think it's killing any proposals I send out.
I have only gotten positive feedback from clients. It doesn't really make sense to me. 

How do you recommend me fixing this?

Thanks!

Andrew R.

Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

The best way to fix this is to turn in high quality work.

Several of your jobs left no feedback. Upwork thinks no feedback = bad feedback. Spare us the rants and drama about how unfair that is. We stipulate that we agree.  But that doesn't change the fact.

It's possible that these people left less than stellar private feedback.

Just keep working and do your best. Don't bite off more than you can chew and always turn in quality work.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

Cheryl K wrote:

Upwork thinks no feedback = bad feedback.

That actually isn't true. Unless there is an insane percentage of "no feedback" contracts (one might say that 2/3 fall under that category), they have no effect at all, for better or for worse.

There are two (main) things Upwork thinks are "bad feedback"

• Contracts that end with nothing (ever) paid or are open for several months with nothing (ever) paid.
  • Bad feedback (public and / or private)
Joyce C Member Since: Jan 11, 2019
4 of 9

Being brand new to UpWork  and reading this info about JSS I am concerned about my first experience. I was invited to bid on a project and instead of texting back-and-forth we agreed to have a phone call. I  hesitate to say the client was just digging for information on what the next step to take would be, however, after we spoke for several hours and I “assumed“ she would be submitting an offer to me but I’ve never heard back from her even after repeated attempts.  I have to say that didn’t put a very pleasant taste in my mouth as my first experience. And I’m sure there are things that I did incorrectly but it moved really fast. Is that going to affect my JSS? 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
5 of 9

Joyce C wrote:

Being brand new to UpWork  and reading this info about JSS I am concerned about my first experience. I was invited to bid on a project and instead of texting back-and-forth we agreed to have a phone call. I  hesitate to say the client was just digging for information on what the next step to take would be, however, after we spoke for several hours and I “assumed“ she would be submitting an offer to me but I’ve never heard back from her even after repeated attempts.  I have to say that didn’t put a very pleasant taste in my mouth as my first experience. And I’m sure there are things that I did incorrectly but it moved really fast. Is that going to affect my JSS? 

How a big a project fee are we talking about, that you were willing to invest hours on the phone before even seeing a contract offer? A prospect gets no more than 20 minutes of my time for free. If they need more discussion in order to hammer out the scope of work, then I'm available to consult on an hourly basis. That's an individual judgment call, of course, but this place will eat you alive if you don't have rules like that.

You don't need to worry about a JSS yet. You generally need at least five completed contracts in order for that to be calculated. As for the process moving "really fast", you are in control of that. I strongly encourage you to learn more about how this whole thing works before submitting any proposals or accepting any invitations. Like the b&m world, UW is teeming with both scammers and clueless people, either of which can trip you up and waste your time, which for a FL amounts to stealing your money.

Ace Contributor
Rafsun S Member Since: Feb 10, 2018
6 of 9

JSS (Job Success Score) depends on the feedback of the client on your Job. In your profile, you have just two feedback from the client out of 6 jobs...one is a 5Stars and the other is 4.65stars. And the rest of all job, the clients didn't leave any feedback. So first of all, you have to provide the highest quality of a job, however the budget is and you should not end a job, you should ask a client to end the job if it was successfully finished and better discusss about the feedback with a client through message before ending a job. As a example, before ending a job, you can ask to a client that you liked to work with him/her and you were waiting to give him/her a good review and 5Stars. If your client likes your job, he/she must will give you a good feedback to you and this will hold your JSS. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 9

Andrew R wrote:

I have only gotten positive feedback from clients. It doesn't really make sense to me. 

Not really. You got one "Good" feedback, one with stars knocked off for quality and deadlines, and 4 "no feedback given."

Andrew R wrote:

Any jobs you get in the future, make sure the client is super happy and is the one to close the contract. You need clients to leave feedback and that is guaranteed if the client ends the contract.

63% is poor, but with so few completed contracts just a couple of successfully closed contracts with great feedback will make a reasonable difference.

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
8 of 9

Petra is the absolute expert about those parts of freelancing that are universal to every job on Upwork. Whether or not you like what she has to say, read it.

I hire on UW and understand what JSS measures, which isn't necessarily job success. Most of my jobs are invitation-only, and I spend a couple of hours reviewing profiles. So many things that are irrelevant can affect JSS that I don't use it as a screening tool. Most clients do. The clients for whom you want to work understand that UW is a business, and it wants to promote the freelancers who fit its business model and provide value to UW. Most of my work, hence my job postings, do not fit the UW model, and my concern is value to the client, not to UW. That's one reason I do most of my hiring on another board with fewer bells and whistles. I also do most of my own work, and largely hire, off-line.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other and communicate frequently with your clients during your jobs. Frequent communication not only prevents mistakes, it also makes the client more likely to overlook them when leaving feedback. About half of my bad feedback on UW is my fault; the other half is clients with whom I should never have worked. That's my fault, too, because I should have done a better job of screening clients.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 9

With only two of your clients entering reviews, it is surprising that you have a JSS at all. The client who gave you less than 5 stars probably gave you a less than positive Net Promoter Score (the private feedback). So, that will hurt. Plus, your percentage of non-reviews is probably high since you have so few clients total. If your JSS falls below 50% it will no longer be visible to clients.

You should work toward allowing clients to close the contracts. When doing so, they are required to leave a review. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS